Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

fuel going backwards

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2005, 12:17 PM
stall70

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel going backwards

does anybody know the answer to this. once ive driven my savage around and it gets warm if it stalls or flames out and i try to restart the fuel doesnt go to the carb,if i cover the stinger i get the fuel to the carb but once i uncover the stinger or try to start it the fuel runs back up the line away from the carb and its a real pain to restart once its warm
Old 07-03-2005, 12:21 PM
ben_s25

Default RE: fuel going backwards

thake the pipe of the bugsaust and make shure u got a WOT and blow till the fuel is in the carnb and u can see it running inside then try

-ben
Old 07-03-2005, 12:33 PM
stall70

ive done that to get it restarted ,but my question is why it does it?
Old 07-03-2005, 01:01 PM
ben_s25

now that is the answer i dont know sorry m8t
Old 07-03-2005, 06:21 PM
stall70

does anybody know why???
Old 07-03-2005, 06:55 PM
Smitty190

Mine did that just the other day! I was so mad i had just built some jumps and i was ready to rip and it was doing it!!!!

1. Check and make sure theres fuel in the tank? [sm=biggrin.gif]

2. Check the spring that connects to the throttle and raps around ur high speed needle if it is under it loosen the high speed needle and then pull the spring a little so its not complety under teh needle then re-tighten the needle.

Hope it helps.

Repost and tell me what happened.
Old 07-03-2005, 07:38 PM
Wizz Kid

i think your fuel may be vapor locking (where the fuel vaporizes boefore it gets to the engine) and then it can move anywhere it wants, if anywhere at all. i have seen people put pieces of nylon aroung their fuel tubing, or you could try to route the fuel line to a cooler area.
Old 07-04-2005, 01:36 PM
stall70

well i took it out today for about an hour, i rerouted the fuel lines around the back of the rear body posts, and it was a little better but once its warm and dies the fuel is still doing the same thing
Old 07-04-2005, 01:53 PM
snowbl!nd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As Mopar stated, what you are experiencing is "vapor lock". It is a result of the carb being excessively hot, and causing any fuel within to boil off/vapourise. If the engine is running excessively hot, the heat is transferred to the carb. When the engine stops, fuel in the carb heats up and boils, causing it to be pushed out of the fuel line. If there is no fuel in the carb, then the engine cannot get any fuel, and therefore it will not start.

There are several solutions:-

* Richen the engine so that it runs cooler and therefore does not cause the carb to boil the fuel when the engine stops (when the engine is running the fuel is constantly flowing and therefore does not have time to boil).

* Increase engine cooling.

* Give the engine a few minutes to cool before you try to start it. (not really a solution...)

* Some people carry a can of compressed air, so that they can spray the carb to cool it instantly and prevent vapor locking.

* Pour a small amount of fuel into the carb opening (remove the airfilter to do so). This will also cause the carb to cool and should allow the engine to start.