Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Front wheels spinning faster than rear

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 07:53 AM
Bender101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front wheels spinning faster than rear

Ok I need help. I was reassembling my Savage and someone tightened a loose allen screw for me. Near the transmission area. I can't exactly describe where it is because im not the one that did it. I think it was on one of those drive cups. Now when I drive the front wheels get like 75% power and the rear wheels get 25% power. I can't go fast at all. We took it apart and tightened the other one and no difference. How do I correct this? The screw might not have been on the drive cups, if it wasnt does anyone know what could have been tightened to do that?

Edit- I know there was a topic aobut this and I searched for it but I couldn't find it.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:11 AM
Frost_
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Front wheels spinning faster than rear

There are shouldered allen's that hold the cups onto the output and input shafts; it sounds like one is missing. If not, it's time to look at the rear diff.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:20 AM
Bender101

I see one on the cup. Its on the cup to the right side of the transmission. Theres a tiny hole and I think that is what go tightened. The problem only started after a allen screw got tightened.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:51 AM
Frost_

Sounds like the Allen in the "tiny hole" is gone, or you would see the head. If it got tightened it must have been loose. If it didn't get thread lock before it was tightened it almost certainly quickly got loose again.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:03 AM
Bender101

Both screws are in the cups... I have no idea whats causeing this. I checked the rear diffs but they look fine. Does anyone know what they would look like if they were bad? What would make my truck go 75% fwd and 25% rwd?????
Old 08-04-2005, 10:32 AM
Frost_

When you say both, you mean the each screw for each cup of the rear center dog-bone right? If they are both tight, also check wheel hexes. One maybe cracked or a wheel may be stripped at the hex-pocket. This is also a common point of failure. This is especially true with the stock wheels.