Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Is the SH .28 a decent engine?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 07:27 PM
B_Rad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the SH .28 a decent engine?

I'm looking to upgrade the engine on my Savage RTR. The guy at the LHS told me this was a decent engine that is easy to maintain. [link=http://cgi.ebay.com/SH-28-PullStart-3-6HP-Engine-for-HPI-SAVAGE-GT-LST_W0QQitemZ5998376850QQcategoryZ1200QQrdZ1QQcmdZ ViewItem]CLICK HERE[/link]

Can anyone give me some feedback? I'm looking to spend about $130ish. Something easy to tune and provide a little kick. I'm only having fun with my Savage not racing it or anything.

Thank you
Old 09-13-2005, 07:48 PM
proxpilot
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Is this a decent engine?

ive heard mixed feelings about this engine i wasnt impressed with the one i had, ton of power but quality was low, most of the reviews ive heard lately have been bad seems it is riddled with problems.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:58 PM
electrogoneglow

Some people seem to like them well enough, but I have no personal experiance with them.
I run my stock .25 with Traxas Top Fuel 33% nitro and it runs with my friends Savvy who has one of those engines, I mean it runs with it in the low and mid range but in the top end it starts to walk away, but by that time the trucks are reaching the limits of our radio range, but I guess that on an oval track he would start pulling away after a few laps.

Jason.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:15 AM
B_Rad

If someone has a recommendation on a better engine (around $130ish) for my Savage I would appreciate it. The LHS guy told me the SH .28 was a good deal and a great engine for what I'm looking for. I'm not looking to win any races here just out to have some fun.

I'm looking for the following:

Decent price
Easy to maintain/tune
Ease of use/installation

Thank you
Old 09-14-2005, 10:24 AM
jombo

hi, if itc about 130ish to spend then go with the 24/7 or the pro good quality and easy to tune,i too wanted the sh but with the mixed reviews i decided not and got the 24/7. its a dream. the easest engine i had to break in so far. good luck.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:06 AM
B_Rad

Thanks for your input. Got any links or pictures of the 24/7? I've never heard of it. Where can I find some information? Who makes it?

Thank you again.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:29 AM
Frost_
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: electrogoneglow

I run my stock .25 with Traxas Top Fuel 33% nitro and it runs with my friends Savvy who has one of those engines, I mean it runs with it in the low and mid range but in the top end it starts to walk away...

Jason.

Your friend can't tune, or has some other serious issue. The SH will SPANK the S25. I have owned both in stock and worked configurations... An aggressively ported (timing/duration changes as well as flow) S25 still gets it's hiney handed back by the SH.

Another reason I say it's tuning or some other serious issue is that the SH is SOOOO much stronger from the bottom through the upper-middle. On the upper side of the RPM band (top speed after it finally winds up to it) the S25 is about the same as the SH as far as max RPMs go.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:31 AM
B_Rad

So, Frost you WOULD recommend the SH .28? I've read mixed reviews but then every engine out there has some sort of mixed review. I'm just looking for an engine that has some extra kick and it's easy to work with/tune etc.

Thanks
Old 09-14-2005, 11:44 AM
Polar_Bus

Default RE: Is the SH .28 a decent engine?

ORIGINAL: B_Rad

I'm looking to upgrade the engine on my Savage RTR. The guy at the LHS told me this was a decent engine that is easy to maintain. [link=http://cgi.ebay.com/SH-28-PullStart-3-6HP-Engine-for-HPI-SAVAGE-GT-LST_W0QQitemZ5998376850QQcategoryZ1200QQrdZ1QQcmdZ ViewItem]CLICK HERE[/link]

Can anyone give me some feedback? I'm looking to spend about $130ish. Something easy to tune and provide a little kick. I'm only having fun with my Savage not racing it or anything.

Thank you
An excellent engine choice. Awesome power and snappy low end torque. Mine was a little challenging to tune at first. In hindsight, I realized my SH .28 simply need a lengthly break-in process before it started behaving " tuning friendly". When I say lengthly break-in I am talking about 20+ Savage tanks of fuel. Keep in mind, that there have been a rash of faulty SH .28's that are on the market. The lower connecting rod gets prematurely egg shaped, and will granade the whole engine if undetected. No worries, as Global Hobby is totally aware of the issue, and will waranty the affected engines. (My first SH failed after only about 10 tanks, and Global Hobby warrantied it no questions asked).
Old 09-14-2005, 01:03 PM
B_Rad

Thank you for the information. I was hoping to find someone with this engine. Do you know if there is a backplate available for the roto start? If so, know of any good place to find one?

Thanks again.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:01 PM
BigGrump

I got a new SH .28 from Hobby People late August for $139.00. I talked to Craig at Global Hobbies who is the importer for Hobby People, who told me they identified the potentially bad engines and pulled them from the market. The ones you get now, including the one I got, are good.

I am just getting to the 20 tank mark and like was stated above, it is starting to run like a champ. I have lots of compression and smooth "Pinch" left. Seems to me to be better than average as far as quality, and for the price, a very good choice. I have it in a heavy MGT.

As far as roto-start. You are in luck. Go to Hobby People and buy the backplate for the 24.7....... It is plastic but is good. Fits perfect on back of SH .28. The get roto-start from HPI, and it fis perfect. That is what I am using.

Only thing is do not get the roto-start for the 4.6, get the older version. Costs about $15.00 and blackplate costs $9.00.

Look at Hobby Peoples web site and all the parts they have available for this engine. When it come time for a new rod, piston/sleeve, or other stuff, you will see all parts are much less in price than most other engines.

Dennis
Old 09-14-2005, 02:15 PM
Polar_Bus

ORIGINAL: B_Rad

Thank you for the information. I was hoping to find someone with this engine. Do you know if there is a backplate available for the roto start? If so, know of any good place to find one?

Thanks again.
Dude,
I wouldn't post up all that information unless I DID own an SH .28. Read my signature below.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:36 PM
B_Rad

Dennis,

Thank you so much for the information. Very helpful. I think I'm going to pick one up tomorrow (pay day:-). I'll definately want the backplate so I'll order that from Hobby People.

Thanks again,
Brad
Old 09-15-2005, 06:12 AM
boydie1

I really liked my SH.28, it really kicked butt against my mates k4.6 savage, and I had fitted the back plate off the 24.7 so I could use my roto-start.Thats when my problem started....make sure you always loosen your glow plug when you start with the roto-start because the housing for the one-way bearing is soft and the engine has exceptional compression.
My one-way bearing wore out against the crank shaft causing a piece of metal to damage my con rod, work its way up the piston causing more damage. All this within approx 2.5 litres of fuel and loosening the glow plug each time the engine was cold. I'm still waiting to hear about warranty as I bought it of a store on ebay.I now have a collari .32 on order
Old 09-15-2005, 09:23 AM
B_Rad

Wow, thanks for that information. I am in process of ordering the XTM 24.7 backplate for rotostart. I'll keep the glowplug loose when starting!
Old 09-18-2005, 01:00 AM
Keith-OH

I love my SH28. I have 4+ gallons through it now. I just took it apart last week to inspect it again and it looks perfect!! Here is a video of my lightning stadium pro with the SH28. Those videos are with running a 13T clutch bell. I am running a 15 T now with almost no loss in bottom end power.

http://www.rcpics.net/view_single.php?medid=61516
http://www.rcpics.net/view_single.php?medid=61521

Old 09-18-2005, 02:24 AM
Frost_
My Feedback: (1)

I want a LSP...
Old 09-18-2005, 05:45 AM
Rush15

perhaps its just me but here in the uk i have heard of lots of mates having problems with the SH28, such as the conrod snapping just below the wrist pin and the conrod going through the side of the engine. as i say this has happened to a few of my mates.
Old 09-18-2005, 02:54 PM
card fan

just wondering has anybody ever bought theres from ebay from the seller world hobby they are really chip the buy it now price is $97 and then shipping is $19 and if you did how did it run good and how long did it take you to get it.
Old 09-18-2005, 03:15 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

From what I understand if you order from over seas there is no warranty on them. Do not this for fact just what I have read on this form.
I am waiting for the OS .30 to hit the states and hear what they are like.
Old 05-25-2014, 10:45 PM
SlowPoke72

what are the initial settings as i cant get mine to run for anything, mine starts and idles but cant give it any throttle
Old 05-26-2014, 03:22 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by SlowPoke72
what are the initial settings as i cant get mine to run for anything, mine starts and idles but cant give it any throttle
If it just dies when you throttle up quickly to WOT quickly, open the main needle a full turn and try punching it. Keep richening a full turn until she throttles up rich and burbly. It might not be a bad idea to Richen up the idle mixture 1/4-1/2 turn because if the idle mixture is too lean it can affect the high speed performance. The "factory settings" are way too rich for a broken-in engine to run and idle so I don't suggest jumping right to that. If it starts and idles but won't wind up, Richen it up.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:52 AM
firestone

I have the sh.28 its a great powerful engine holds the tune well . the sh.28 is the same engine as the lrp z.28. if you look at the team associated mgt8.0 and the thunder tiger mta4 s50 they are also the same using different brand names. hope this helps