Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

THE BEST SAVAGE ENGINE

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 04:26 PM
moab_crawler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default THE BEST SAVAGE ENGINE

What would you say is the best engine upgrade for the savage cause im lookin to get a new engine for my ride? iv heard the collari .30 or the picco .27 but what would you say? also what is the best gearing for speed but still gots power with the engine another side question does the traxxas revo even stand up to the savage with upgraded engine?
Old 10-11-2005, 04:38 PM
BigGrump

Default RE: THE BEST SAVAGE ENGINE

What ever you get, make absolutely sure support parts are redily available from some place you can get to. I have been dissappointed several times with the "latest and greatest" only to find out when a part fails, there are no replacment parts or there is a long wait.

The most important issue is does the engine run and tune well without overheating and stumbling issues.

So, I would stick to simple things like the HPI 4.6, Hobby Peoples 24.7 pro, Picco .27.

If money were no object, then the Novarossi 528XRP.

Dennis
Old 10-11-2005, 05:49 PM
proxpilot
My Feedback: (3)

so far ive been hearing nothing but good things about the Collari's, i myself am going to give that new O.S. .30 a whirl when it comes out
Old 10-11-2005, 07:07 PM
azzman

Yea I think the OS 30VG(P)X is the one to go for, they make great engines IMHO.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:09 PM
3D_star

Collaris and Picco are world class engines so long as your break them in correctly. But thats the same with all engines. Id say the Collari or Picco would be a good choice. And you would have tones of power i noguy who run Sirio's in them as well. the Os .30 looks promising and OS allways makes a good engine wether its for a plane car or truck. The only problems is, that OS will be competing with Collari and there like ferrari engine very powerfull very relieable and a great powerband so thats what there comparing themselves to. Not that im saying OS is a bad engine im just saying that Collari is race proven and you cant argue with results. But the OS .30 could blow the doors off of the Collari. We wont know untill they ship us some. But untill then we play the waiting game. If you want more info on a collari or sirio or anything about a savage go to www.savage-central.com there a great bunch of guy and there are tons of help topics and help on everything savage i highly reccomend it for any savage owner young or old newbie or pro.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:00 PM
rcadvisor

I heard that the Racers Edge SURE FIRE .32 will be available any day. I can't wait to try it out... INSANE POWER! It is made by the same company that made the HPI 4.6
Old 10-14-2005, 10:39 PM
BigGrump

I can't help but continue to think about the NovaRossi .28 8 port engine with pull start. I find I am chicken to pay that much for my Savage engine, but when i bought the Collari for 215 then the SH .28 for 140 as a replacment for the Collari when it went out of commission due to a worn roto starter shaft and Werks has no replacment parts, I spent a total of 355 and only a SH .28 to show for it.

Could have had a NovaRossi. So, how dumb do I feel now?

Dennis
Old 10-21-2005, 02:25 PM
RC YODA

I picked up a SURE FIRE 32 last Friday. Broke it in yesturday . pretty nasty. Anybody got any good ideas on the right pipe?
Old 10-21-2005, 05:49 PM
bibo

ORIGINAL: 292nitro

I picked up a SURE FIRE 32 last Friday. Broke it in yesturday . pretty nasty. Anybody got any good ideas on the right pipe?
pretty nasty ??????? , please explain.

The HPI ribbed pipe works well with the K4.6 so if the Sure Fire .32 is a bigger K4.6 then it should be ok.
Old 10-22-2005, 11:14 AM
RC YODA

Thanks I do have that pipe . Its loud but good . Its says move get out of my way . ha
Old 10-22-2005, 08:47 PM
ntloser

ORIGINAL: rcadvisor

I heard that the Racers Edge SURE FIRE .32 will be available any day. I can't wait to try it out... INSANE POWER! It is made by the same company that made the HPI 4.6
According to the dyno, the Racers Edge Sure Fire .32 puts out a little more HP than the K 4.6 .. The STS .28 is almost toe to toe with this "insanely" powered .32.

http://www.nitrodynesystems.com/Sure%20Fire%2032.htm

http://www.nitrodynesystems.com/STS%2028.htm

But you know, having a lot of power can be a pain in the ass. Who wants to replace the diffs all the time?
Old 10-22-2005, 09:00 PM
ntloser

ORIGINAL: BigGrump

I can't help but continue to think about the NovaRossi .28 8 port engine with pull start. I find I am chicken to pay that much for my Savage engine, but when i bought the Collari for 215 then the SH .28 for 140 as a replacment for the Collari when it went out of commission due to a worn roto starter shaft and Werks has no replacment parts, I spent a total of 355 and only a SH .28 to show for it.

Could have had a NovaRossi. So, how dumb do I feel now?

Dennis
I can relate. I thought I would save a bundle and get an STS .28. After getting another pullstarter, then having the LHS break the piston head and getting a discount on the Sirio .30, I am out of pocket a total of about $300 this includes the werks clutch which failed and a new 3 shoe aluminum clutch and flywheel ..I could have had that Rossi 8 port or even the Sirio 11 port which I hear is crazy crazy.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:14 AM
Savage Joe
My Feedback: (30)

Lot's has happened in the nitro engine category since October 2005. Many of the engines that were just being released during the end of 05' have now been replaced by bigger badder engines. Since then HPI has slapped the marked with their introduction of the beefy K5.9. I want to know what you are running out there. What works and what doesn't.

For instance the Racer's Edge Sure Fire .32 now comes with different size air flow restrictors to reduce the engine's power! What??? I thought you bought the engine because it had more power? Then again, as my 7 year old son is learning to drive I would throttle down the power to help him learn at a better pace.

Some of the other big names OS, Collari, Novarossi, Picco, SH, Werks, and even Associated are all supposed to have awesome engines.

We all run our trucks a little different and in different conditions. I have a decked out aluminum "fatty" truck that tips the scales at over 20lbs and I also have a stock X that is stripped and slim weighing less than 15lbs.

What is the most anyone has ever spent on an engine and was it worth the big $$$?
Old 02-12-2010, 06:31 AM
wolfie1

For a savage there is 2 engines which perform particularly well, the picco 28 with an 086 pipe is the most powerful but tricky to tune and the Lrp30 spec2 with an 053 pipe which is easier to live with and it will still pop wheelies on command
Old 02-12-2010, 08:23 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yaay nice thread resurrection from 5yrs ago haha
Old 02-12-2010, 08:30 PM
wolfie1

oh yea i never noticed that[:'(]
Old 02-15-2010, 10:15 AM
jsflagstad

I have an OS MAX 30 ported and an RD Logics pipe. It runs pretty hard. It is aging so I am now thinking abot a Picco .28. I wonder how it will run with my RD Logics pipe?
Old 02-15-2010, 09:07 PM
Savage Joe
My Feedback: (30)

I run a Collari .30 and I love it.  In the spring & fall months the temperature swings keep my tuning from day to day but in the heat of the summer I never have to mess with it.  The engine has seen over two gallons and still kicking.

B.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:29 PM
deanol4

Iwould hope your motor is still kicking after 2 gallons. I'm saying this being a noob. If I can only get 2 gallons out of an engine....I'm pulling out of this hobby.