Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Wheelies??

Old 10-23-2005, 11:46 PM
Ziggmiester

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheelies??

Ok, to start off this is a odd question. When I got a monster truck, I was hoping for the capabilty to do wheelies. I have my Savage 25 all broken in and tuned for the second time(long story...) and have about 15 tanks run through it. It's all stock except for a ribbed HPI tuned pipe, dual disc braking set, and a reverse kit. I do use 4 AA's though. I have read on many forums that this truck wheelies all the time for them. It would be cool for my truck to do wheelies because I like to do that sort of stuff... I'm not a speed demon, well at least with a monster truck. But my truck refuses to do any wheelies, but can do stoppies when I brake but no wheelies. Any tips on how to get my truck to do wheelies? Perhaps it's not tuned all the way or maybe too much???
Thanks for any help. I did warn you it was an odd question. I will be happy with my Savage regardless, because it's a awesome truck, but just trying to expand.Thanks again.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:48 PM
Ziggmiester

Default RE: Wheelies??

forgot to mention this is on grass, I wouldn't expect it to do it on pavement, but I don't race on pavement much anyway so that doesn't matter.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:14 AM
Bash-m-up
My Feedback: (7)

Just a few questions to help answer your question. What % nitro are you running and what gearing are you running? It took about a gallon of fuel before my S-25 really started to shine. Answer those and I and many might be able to help.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:29 AM
Ziggmiester

For nitro I'm running 20% Byrons race fuel and as for gearing, I'm running stock, haven't touched the gearing yet. It 15T with a maybe a 49T(or 47T, read so many forums I do know which is stock!!!) spur. But you know what stock gearing is right??I'm also really close to finishing off a gallon, maybe 1/10 of a gallon left.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:26 AM
stanmart

ORIGINAL: Ziggmiester

For nitro I'm running 20% Byrons race fuel and as for gearing, I'm running stock, haven't touched the gearing yet. It 15T with a maybe a 49T(or 47T, read so many forums I do know which is stock!!!) spur. But you know what stock gearing is right??I'm also really close to finishing off a gallon, maybe 1/10 of a gallon left.
My stock 25 never wheelied. My collari .32 wheelies alot. Slipper nut needs to be tightened as well.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:38 AM
Bash-m-up

I ran 25% trinity Monster HP not the brew, with same CB and 47T SG and mine would wheelie on demand in grass only. You can try this, or not, but it's just what I had.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:56 AM
:Green:

tighten up your slipper, run a stiff set up in the rear and lean your lsn some. your lsn setting contributes to the low end as well as gearing. a 15 bell should be good for low end, maybe try a 52 spur too.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:07 PM
Starcraft-IX

The reverse module is part of the problem. It adds weight and rotating mass
Old 10-24-2005, 12:14 PM
Bash-m-up

ORIGINAL: Starcraft-IX

The reverse module is part of the problem. It adds weight and rotating mass
Good point, i hadn't thought of that. Yeah that too, I have to agree, it will affect the abilities as well.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:26 PM
Stablock

When I got my Savage 25 RTR, the guys at my LHS told me to get a hump pack (which I did) and that I should take off the throttle return spring. They said it can not open the throttle fully with it on and it gives you faster throttle response with it off. Made sense to me so that was the first thing I took off. After break in and with more then a gallon thew the engine, it started to come alive. It would wheelie sometimes but just on grass. There is a pretty small, tight race track near me so I replaced the stock spur with a 52T. Since then it wheelies all the time. Even on pavement. And that was with the stock air filter. It was a short time after that I did the Diff mod (front and rear), put in reverse, and got a Motor Saver air filter (I can't honestly say that I seen a big difference from the stock filter). I never changed my rear shock oil, I'm I am currently running a 2 speed tranny (my three speed is in the mail!), my exhaust is stock, my engine is stock, my clutch is stock. I'm into my 5th gallon of fuel (20% Powermaster since day one. You may have seen the advertised links on this forum. http://www.powermasterfuels.com/ ) and it still wheelies on pavement.

I guess I did something right.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:09 PM
Ziggmiester

Thanks for helping me out. So what I got out of that was to change my gear setup? I've heard about the throttle return spring before, but is it fine to run it without a spring? I mean, it does close some with the spring on, or do you mean to get a diffrent spring? I plan on getting a hump pack as soon as I get a charger capabable to charge it.(I'm only 15 and don't have money to throw around with other things I want to buy) Thanks for the help again.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:16 PM
Frost_
My Feedback: (1)

I want to apologize to long-timers, I know I post this ALOT, but it gets asked ALOT. Hell, there's probably a "savage won't wheelie" thread in the first few pages.

Here's a link with a video of a Stock SS25, acroll down 4-5 posts for how to tune your LSN. A hump pack and a linkage mod really get the carb open much quicker too, but see what can be done stock: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=2389010
Old 10-24-2005, 08:01 PM
Mr.Rob

lol i was waiting for it Frost i was about to post it up since your out of town i didn't think you would be on. BTW my truck will be here tomorrow
Old 10-24-2005, 10:25 PM
Ziggmiester

Hmmm..the video suggests I just have to tune my truck more(correctly). Well I read all of the tuning tips so I'll try that out. New York, where I live is getting down to the 40s and 50s, I can still use that tuning method correct? I won't forget to check my HSN after that as well. Hopefully I'll be able to race really soon, it's been raining where I live for 3 WEEKS STRAIGHT. Can you believe that? Not a single chance to drive...it's not supposed to stop raining until Saturday too, it might snow as well...damn, I'm getting depressed thinking about it.[&o][:@][&o][:@][&o][:@]

Moving on....I suppose I'll play games until it stops raining(very well might be never) Anyway thanks for helping me and also listening to me rant.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:40 PM
alvinl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a stock Savage 25 LE and mine will wheelie on grass all the time. On pavement, it will pull both front wheels off the pavement, but does not really wheelie. I just recently got mine broken in and finished tuning and it has a lot of power. I am now about 18 tanks into it. You should be able to tune your HSN until it is running really good WOT (shifting and everything) then adjust your LSN for takeoff. When you start tweaking the LSN is when you will start being able to wheelie.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:52 PM
00jettagls
My Feedback: (40)

my picco 27 im still running super rich and it wheelies while rolling its insane i need a wheelie bar because i just keep flipping it
Old 10-25-2005, 06:43 AM
Frost_
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Mr.Rob

lol i was waiting for it Frost i was about to post it up since your out of town i didn't think you would be on. BTW my truck will be here tomorrow
The hotels have internet, and I have my work laptop. I'm never too far away. [8D]