Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

clutch upgrades???

Old 11-15-2005, 03:04 AM
Amosp

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default clutch upgrades???

I am putting a SH28(I think this is what I am going with) on my Savage 21. I am going with 17/49 gearing. What should I do about my clutch? Can it handle the extra power? What all parts of the clutch should I change? Shoes? Flywheel? Please help!
Old 11-15-2005, 03:47 AM
Geeza!

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: clutch upgrades???

Hi there, i can recommend the Mugen allu clutch, it's very hard wearing, and gives great performance.

If you buy the Mugen clutch, you will also need to buy springs seperately, or you can use the stock clutch springs, i use 1.0 springs in my trucks, also it's best to use the Mugen engine nut, as this will allow the springs to seat properly.

I have three 4.6's, and i run them all with this set up, and no complaints, i have the part numbers if you need them?, but i'm off to work right now.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:43 PM
boydie1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I run the Mugen shoes in my SH.28 and Collari.32 with no complaints. I tried the 1.1 springs but found they were too heavy for bashing.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:04 PM
rounder540

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hello just trying to solve a prob about a similar thing i have .28 too on savage with ofna shoes medium springs 17/49 gears and using hpi flywheel with there nut for springs and the shoes are really worn like metal is missing the 3 speed wont shift either dont know if it slipping so much it wont do it or what ? it wont wheelie off start but with a little incline it will so they still grab at least anyway just wondering if the nut is the prob will getting the whole ofna clutch/flywheel kit solve the prob LHS cant get mugen not internet cash right now either and if anyone can tell me how they got there 3 speed to work that would be cool there are two clutch holders but you can only get to one dont know if i need to adjust the other one or not havent yet but thanks to anyone who can help maybe i can help out too some day but this my first truck so far hopefully getting an electric truck too this month not sure buddy giving me his old stuff but yeah peace
Old 11-21-2005, 01:54 AM
RCDadChicago
My Feedback: (34)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Have you considered the Werks MT Racing Clutch?
Old 11-21-2005, 02:18 AM
Bash-m-up
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have the Nova Racing aluminum clutch shoes and have been pretty pleased with them, I also use the stock springs.

[link=http://cgi.ebay.com/HPI-Savage-Mammoth-Monster-GT-Ofna-LST-XLB-Clutch-Shoes_W0QQitemZ6015372667QQcategoryZ34063QQrdZ1QQc mdZViewItem]NOVA CLUTCH SHOES[/link]
Old 11-21-2005, 10:25 AM
rounder540

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

thanks but thats not what im asking will the hpi flywheel nut and hpi flywheel work for the ofna clutch shoes and springs or will i have to get the ofna kit to make my shoes stop losing metal they lose it all around the contact area so i know there just slipping they still work but i dont want to have to keep buying 20$ shoes every gal when they go out i dont think my LHS can get werks either looked into that already have to ask again he can only get ofna who else makes shoes besides mugen and nova and GPM, for the savage shoes and kits please if any of you know sry but LHS sucks every upgrade you can get just abot cost double then what i can get it on here for but some stuff i just gotta have and soon i will need these lol
Old 11-21-2005, 10:32 AM
rounder540

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

now i might just save up enough money to get the werks but will it easily mount onto the savage 25 with the sh .28 now in it any clearance issues with this clutch/flywheel unit have to check again to see if LHS can get it
Old 11-21-2005, 11:46 AM
Buzzbait

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I hear that the Werks system is very good, but very hard to fit properly. Experience and extra parts are definitely a requirement for the job.

Rumor has it that OFNA wear down very quickly, due the type of aluminum they use for the shoes.

Mugen and Nova shoes seem to last pretty long. I got 3 or 4 gallons out of my last set of Nova shoes. They could have gone maybe a little longer, but I happened to have the clutch apart and a new set of shoes in my box, so I changed them out.

I had nearly zero break in time on both sets of Nova's I've used. The Mugens took a while to break in.

I currently have 1.1mm springs on one of my Savages, and 1mm springs on the other. I much prefer the 1mm springs.

When installing aluminum clutch shoes, the Mugen pilot nut and an OFNA shim kit makes the job much easier. Trying to get everything to fit properly without them, takes quite a bit of creativity and Dremel work.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:07 PM
RCDadChicago

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm going to get the nova engine mount at the same time as the werks clutch so I can move the engine back slightly.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:02 AM
popadel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I prefer to make my own clutch shoes since i make them out of 6082 T6 aluminium and they last longer than the STD alu shoes you buy. I'm sure there are really good ones out there but i cant get my hands on them and this way i save myself the hassle of replacing CB shoes every weekend.

takes 3 hours to make
Old 11-22-2005, 09:21 AM
Polar_Bus

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have the Werks Racing power clutch, my #1 preference. Expensive, and a little tricky to get fitted up. Pass on the Werks clutch if you are new to clutching. I also like the Mugen MBX4 carbon setup. The best value, as far as clutching, doesn't bite as hard as the Werks, but cheaper, and bolts right on to the stock Savage flywheel. You need Mugen MBX4 shoes, either 1.0, or 1.1 springs, and the Mugen MBX4 clutch nut. I don't run aluminum shoes, as they beat the poop out of std. Savage clutchbells, and especially Ofna shoes are extremely soft, which need frequent de-burring, and make a filthy mess internally on your clutch.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:33 AM
RCDadChicago

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Did you have any problems fitting the Werks clutch on your engine?