Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

3-Speed Tranny

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 10:45 PM
Ziggmiester

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3-Speed Tranny

So this thread has most likley already been posted, but I have a couple of questions that might be diffrent. My brother has a stock LST that goes faster than my Savage. Now, I'm not too worried about speed in a MT because, well it a MT. But we like to have our trucks as close as possible to the same speed. I was wondering if the 3-speed would make them go about the same speed? My Savage has a ribbed tune pipe for upgrades, and I figured the 3-speed would give me something to do over the winter considering where I live.

Thanks for all the help.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:08 PM
ace007

Default RE: 3-Speed Tranny

A 3 speed would help also getting a correct tuning on it will help too.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:19 AM
pooman07
My Feedback: (2)

Yes,The 3 speed tranny increases low and high end proformance so more tourque and speed.And his LST prob goes faster than yours because he has those big ass tires[:'(]
Old 11-16-2005, 01:38 PM
Bash-m-up
My Feedback: (7)

Just got an lst, and from what I have read so far is that a Savy with 3speed is equally matched to an Lst in stock form, so you shouldn't have any problems. If you want faster, then just upgrade to a .28 or bigger motor on top of the 3sp. and then he'll be the one trailling you.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:38 AM
Ziggmiester

Ok thanks a lot guys. The reason for me deciding is my LHS is having a "sale" so I was thinking of buying one. The reason for it being in quotes is because I don't really know what's going to be on sale. As far as tuning goes, it is most likley not the best tuning it could be. And the bigger tires would help, but he also has a slightly bigger engine too.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:08 AM
ace007

Yeah deffently get the 3 speed but i would stay with the stock wheel size if you put bigger wheels on you will strain the drive train.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:42 AM
Ziggmiester

I was thinking about the drivetrain. That's why I think the 3 speed would be better, because it's cheaper than an engine, but will do a lot for my truck capabilities. Well it seems the 3-speed is the way to go and is reccomened, so that's cool. Thanks Again.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:18 PM
nitrotanker

That 3 speed is the best thing you could do for your truck. It takes the strain off the launch, and makes your truck quicker, as well as faster. Meaning acceleration as well as top end, can't go wrong.
Old 11-19-2005, 01:16 AM
Ziggmiester

That's excatly what I was hoping for it to do. Logically, it should do that, but something about hearing helps you believe it.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:09 PM
rounder540

hey my 3 speed wont shift into third already adjusted the one clutch but you have to take the whole shaft apart pretty much to adjust the other clutch and in the manual for it it does say that the one you can adjust through the hole in the gear box is the third gear clutch and the one you have to strip the shaft to get at is the second gear clutch holder so does anyone have any ideas how did you get yours to work lol im sure i put it together correct but it just hasnt shifted for me yet oh yeah running 17/49 gears on outside too oh yeah zigg there are cheap engines out there too just have to check out ebay i got mine for 130 or so with pullstart swapped .25 for sh .28 and its not a junk one either actually while i here anyone know any better clutch shoes to get tried ofna aluminum shoes but the .28 has almost smoked them i checked them today to see how they were grabbing and the shoes are shined up with metal worn off them already and not even a gal ran on them yet dont know if this is messing with my shifting though once you get going it should still shift i would think anyway i thank you if you can help with this going to look around and see if i can find some titanium ones lol then i will take the clutch bell out since the shoes will be harder material then the bell
Old 11-20-2005, 08:06 PM
MBX5T Maniac
My Feedback: (-1)

putting smaller tires take a lot of strain off of the drive-train. If you upgrade to some bowties, it'll make a huge difference in accelereation. A 3speed combined with bigger tires will put you in the lead.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:52 PM
rounder540

uh what did you just say i think you meant the drive train with what you said about putting smaller tires on i got the maxx mulchers on mine now got some 40 series dirt hawgs too both with pro's high velocity rims and the big ones do take there toll on your stuff little more top speed but i like smaller tires with proper gear mixing to get the same result
Old 11-20-2005, 09:02 PM
MBX5T Maniac

oops. LOL. yeah, I meant drive-train.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:15 AM
popadel

Id be worried on bigger tyres on a Savage given its frail transmission. Rather get a more powerful motor.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:12 AM
MBX5T Maniac

I would think that the larger motor would be just as bad on the drivetrain
Old 11-21-2005, 02:33 PM
Bash-m-up

ORIGINAL: mayhem maniac

I would think that the larger motor would be just as bad on the drivetrain
Nah, most people who have gone with larger wheels and tires, my son and myself included, have done nothing but melt the spur gears. We tried many different gearing combos, but to no avail. We only managed to make them last longer but not long enough. Some may say mesh, some may clutches, but I know it was the wheels and tires, and after the change I managed to get over a gallon on one spur. Coincidence, I think not. This was the case with both trucks, 7" wheel tire combo was no good.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:16 PM
rounder540

i would say mesh if your only getting one gal of fuel out of a spur gear i have atleast three on mine now and its been through the .25 sav and now the sh .28 with one gal burn did mess it up alittle but thats cuss i didnt have the mesh close enough but i filed it and trimmed it up and it works fine now and ive been running the 40 series dirt hawgs prob 3/4 gal with them along with others though i admit it does wear your stuff down faster for sure
Old 11-22-2005, 09:58 AM
gerwen

It has nothing to do with mesh. The big tires overload the clutch. The clutch slips excessively, heats up and melts the spur. A better clutch mitigates the problem, but doesn't eliminate it completely.

What surface you run on has an effect too.

Remember that these clutches are basically 1/8th scale buggy clutches. They were designed to work on a vehicle with half the weight, and much less rotating mass. (buggy drivetrain and tires). It's really not all that surprising that the clutches are on the edge of failure.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:27 AM
Bash-m-up

Yeah, thanks, but the 40 series anything doesn't measure up to being 7" wheel tire, the ones we had were the HB UFO Fireballs. Like gerwen stated that's the problem with the large wheels and tires, I went to the 40's and they work good, running an alum clutch, 3 speed, and SH-28. Man, I love to see gallons out of my spur gear, but the bashing I do, it will never happen.[]
Old 11-22-2005, 06:58 PM
rounder540

uh if you actually read what i said i never said he or you were wrong in the first place i just said that it might be mesh without actually having the vehicle and looking at it and driving it i wouldnt know for sure what was wrong and the werks clutch seems to be made for the off road trucks so thats what im going with now and why would you need tires that big i looked at those before i got the 40 series ones and those are bad enough only use them for climbing anyway those 7" ones i can only imagine the handling probs and so forth but i like to race mine on a track i know i know next you saying it a monster truck duh well you gotta race too but really i dont see where your riding at that youd need 7" tires besides a swamp pit lol and instead of just talking and trying to prove me wrong about something maybe you could take a moment to read my post about my tranny up there i still havent got it to hit third gear and just a note i bash on my truck too so i know wear but you do have to know your trucks limits and some bashing can just be purposely destructive and thats just dumb ill bash but im not going to do something when i know its going to end up bad no matter what i have on my truck for an upgrade these things cost money treat them right and they will return the favor less its just junk to begin with anyway just didnt like how made your remark gerwen i was never saying big tires produced little stress on the drivetrain quite the opposite though ive never use the 7" tires but i know the wear i got from my 40's compared to the maxx mulch and stock tires
Old 11-23-2005, 03:59 AM
Bash-m-up

Sorry Rounder, never meant for it to sound as though you were wrong, just stating what I had, I ran the 7" because I have the Truckzilla chassis' and the stockers looked way too small, 40's aren't much better. If you like I have pics in my gallery of the 7"ers on and the 40's on. Not bad just not good, still looks a little dorky with the little wheels on. The handling actually improved with the 7" tires on though, that was the main reason I like them so. I like to race too, but I am now going to use my LST for that pupose, I just couldn't get my savy up to par. As far as your tranny not going into 3rd though, when I encountered this problem with my SH-28 was first installed, it was due to the fact I didn't have it rich enough to engage third. It would take off like a bat out of he11 and then would just rev like it wanted to shift into 3rd but never did. Once I adjusted the LSN and HSN it took off great and shifted right through all three within the first 10 feet. I had to adjust the HSN really rich and then lean out the LSN so that it would still keep an idle and take off. If you have the Blue head SH, I don't know about yours, mine is adjusted at 4.25-4.5 turns out on the HSN and 1/8th in on the LSN. Some of the other readers may say thats way rich on the HSN, but trust me, it would only over heat and flame out any leaner than 4 turns out, others have reported the same thing. I thought my tranny was out of whack too but this may just be your problem, I don't know, give it a try and let us know. Hope it helps you. Oh yeah, I bash the he11 out of my truck, but never have broken anything except the rollbar and spurs naturally, but I agree with you on taking care of them, heck I still run with my original 3 gear diffs with no problems, but I have upgraded all my weak points to handle all the abuse I put mine through, just can't make the spurs last that long though, wish I could, it would save me down the road. Again though I hope that this post will help you.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:02 AM
rounder540

thats cool i was just saying that about gerwens commit but anyway my hsn is hold on had to check i always forget lol but its 3 1/4 turn out and my low is pretty much the same maybe 3 1/2 out LHS only had 30% trinity left usually run byrons or trinity 20% know your suppose to shim it but i read some things if you keep a cold plug in it and make it rich then it should be okay so i got a o.s 8 in it may go colder but just using this for now till the thirtys gone or i can get some 20 to mix with holidays are ruff had to take what he had to ride lol but yeah i never really had to change them from man. spec i actually had to lean it to get it to idle right ran two tanks just idling then went to try thottle taps till it was good enough to run on the ground took a whole day and a gal to break her in right ill try what you say but i doubt it will run for long its so rich now it spits out oil through pipe when i idle it and its so cold with winter here it dosent idle at more then 120 130 degrees less i throttle it dont even think about cold starting it youd break your hand trying to pull it over but i heat the block to 120 then prime and get ready to go outside oh yeah got the blue head but besides the tranny thing it does fire up first pull every time now after prime so im still happy but ill get back with you let you know if it can take the richer setting will have to get up to temp 200 or so then try slowly riching it but it runs like that pretty good now since it cools down so fast with it being so cold has anyone ever run theres in the winter ? any help with how to manage your truck through the cold would be good but yeah ill let you know if that works man peace and love and everything inbetween lol
Old 12-07-2005, 05:14 PM
fryblade

hey as far as your tranny not shifting right its not shifting into 2nd gear probably , its probably going from 1st straight to 3rd mine was doing that after i re-geared it. finally after taking the tranny apart 11 times i finally got 2nd gear shifting. turns the factory recommends is wrong on the 2nd gear . im geared 17\47 & my 2nd gear is 3 turns in. factory recommends 3 1/4 turns on a 15/49
Old 12-07-2005, 08:15 PM
Wizz Kid

i have a .28 motor with the 3 speed 16/49 gears and dirtbonz tires with the insides taped to prevent them from swelling and man that thing launches off the line! smoked 2 revos and a tmaxx off the line. having those tires taped prevents them from swelling when they spin and prevents the gear ratio from getting taller when the tires rise. she's not much for top end, but she will haul arse off the line! heres a video of the 2 revos and a tmaxx and me.

http://media.putfile.com/Savage_2 i think this is the link...?
Old 12-11-2005, 12:36 AM
rounder540

fryblade you mean turns out man i hope so cuss i dont know the maximum turns out so i can count in lol anyway i thought id have to do that so ill start turning it counter clockwise to make it shift earlier but that will be all later now i have a prob head broke off on screw for crankshaft so have to get machine shop to take it out after that i will try 15/49 gearing then 52 to see if that changes my ratio enough to make it shift all three try to avoid taking whole shaft apart had 17/49 before so might not be set right for it but main concern is getting the screw extracted from the crank lol i said crank uhh anyway anyone know why an e clip wouldnt work just make a groove on the end of the crankshaft and slap a e clip on that way no thread lock no screws any mods or easier ways to keep your bell on that work for you would be cool dont know why designers havent tried different things maybe none of them work but if you have tried something let me know cuss if this dont work ill have to try some no way im getting a new crank for a motor i dont think is even broke in yet

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.