Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Savage Pull Start????

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 09:15 AM
Travis21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage Pull Start????

I was trying to start the savage .21 the other day and the pull start got to where it will not recoil. It is extended all the way out, is there a way to fix it without having to take it to my rc shop? Also what is a savage .21 worth in pretty good shape?
Old 11-17-2005, 09:28 AM
savagejb

Default RE: Savage Pull Start????

Had this happen on my 4.6- I turned the flywheel on the engine and got it to catch and recoil. May work for you.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:30 AM
Travis21

I have tried that but it just wont recoil for some odd reason.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:49 AM
DaveG55

There,s a spring inside the starter (obviously) and sometimes the end will come loose and not allow the spring to build tension and so won't retract the string. You can dissassemble the pullstart and usually repair it. If, for some reason, it's unfixable you can get a new one. They're not too expensive.
I've always fixed mine but they can be a real PAIN to get that spring rewound and back in.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:49 AM
Philster

My truck was bought as a orig .21, and it still is a .21, except that it is a Hyper 21 8-port now. Pretty sick motor, wheelies, etc. I know older .21 have harder drivetains than new .25s, so it is every bit as good, but the orig .21 motor is a tad weak versus even basic motors now. HPI engine exchange will get you a new .25 for 100 bucks. Couldn't make it easier than that.

Me...I'd buy a new pull start and move on, then think about upgrading the engine.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:55 AM
digregoriod

I had the same problem on my .25. it turns out the spool inside the pullstart was broken.