Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

4 wheel steering??

Old 11-19-2005, 05:13 PM
colindecon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 wheel steering??

can it be done? has it been done? i would love to try this. anyone have any ideas or pointers for doing this?
Old 11-19-2005, 05:16 PM
LaxerMan21
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 4 wheel steering??

Go to ebay or or neweramodels.com and search for it im pretty sure ive seen it done
Old 11-19-2005, 09:18 PM
tron_23

http://www.savage-central.com/module...wtopic&t=47555 theres one. hes bulding it and it has some goo pics
Old 11-19-2005, 11:33 PM
Mr.Rob

my friend did it to his LST and took it right back off it was to hard to steer at any speed it was really only good for doing bad ass donuts but that is just my 2 cents
Old 11-20-2005, 02:06 PM
Bash-m-up
My Feedback: (7)

RB Innovations makes a 4 wheel steering kit for the Savage if you are looking for one. [link=http://rbinnovations.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/148?osCsid=bbbf08fbc1ab4b67b67c5cfe0dcd85c4]4 WHEEL STEERING[/link]This the link to go strait to it so that you can see exactly how it works and cost. I'd say that you can do it cheaper your self but I don't know, but it don't look too complicated by looking. I hope this helps you out, just let us know.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:22 PM
tmodlin

I also know somebody who did this to his LST and he complains about it all the time. He said it is impossible to control at higher speeds but is nice when going slower.

I dont know if it would work but would the front diff/control arm/bulhead assembly be able to mount on the rear after redrilling the TVPs. It seems like it would work. Also, you would have to wire the second servo into the same channel.
Old 11-20-2005, 10:51 PM
savagejb

The reason it is hard to control at high speeds is a true 4WS has the wheels turn in the opposite direction at low speeds and the same direction at high speeds ('crabbing'). Physics mandate that it is done this way, so what is really needed to do it right is some sort of electronic control. I have actually been thinking about developing one, but I'm not sure how practical it would be, because of cost and a possibly complicated set-up.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:46 AM
tmodlin

Originally Posted by savagejb
The reason it is hard to control at high speeds is a true 4WS has the wheels turn in the opposite direction at low speeds and the same direction at high speeds ('crabbing'). Physics mandate that it is done this way, so what is really needed to do it right is some sort of electronic control. I have actually been thinking about developing one, but I'm not sure how practical it would be, because of cost and a possibly complicated set-up.
Exactly. I think the AWS that has been developed for RCs so far would be a good tool for the rock crawlers but not much else. I think it would add a lot of weight and be very complicated to do a true AWS on an RC. The only thing I could think of for RCs would be to have the ability to turn off the rear steering when you get to a certain speed. Maybe give it its own channel or something and have a "lock" that you can activate. Sounds too complicated for me though.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:52 PM
stevblutu15

?, if you put the reverse steering servo on a channel were you can reverse the direction, when you get to a certain speed you could hit the switch manually, changing the direction of the servo to make the wheels turn the same way, just a thought.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:30 AM
gerwen

ORIGINAL: stevblutu15

?, if you put the reverse steering servo on a channel were you can reverse the direction, when you get to a certain speed you could hit the switch manually, changing the direction of the servo to make the wheels turn the same way, just a thought.
That's actually a pretty good idea. Good thinking.

I wonder if any high end radios have a conditional mixing, or something to that effect so you could do it automatically.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:26 PM
savagejb

ORIGINAL: gerwen

ORIGINAL: stevblutu15

That's actually a pretty good idea. Good thinking.

I wonder if any high end radios have a conditional mixing, or something to that effect so you could do it automatically.
This might work, but I think it would be tough. In a real car, at least on the models I've studied, what they try to do is eliminate yaw (turning about the z axis that causes sideslip). To do this, the rear wheels turn in different directions at high and low speeds, and in between the angle changes with speed in a non-linear manner- it almost looks like an exponential function. I know some radios have exponential steering control, so maybe it is possible, but it would just take a lot of experimentation. Plus, the steering angle should change with forward velocity, not wheel turing speed, which I think could create further headaches []
Old 11-23-2005, 05:56 PM
colindecon

the savage has a 4 channel reciver right? so all we need is the transmitter and some diy
Old 11-23-2005, 07:15 PM
azzman

Cabbie over at Sav Central has a good idea (above link) that the rear steering will only start to kick in when the front wheels go over half way.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:56 PM
savagejb

Yeah, I think what Cabbie is doing may very well work. Generally you don't turn extreme angles unless you are going slower, though if you did turn sharply to avoid something at high speed I think it would roll over or doughnut. I'm interested to see how it turns out for him. Seems like there is interest in this though, and I have been considering an electronic controller. Perhaps I could actually make money instead of spending it for once BTW- he's a great fabricator- very jealous.
Old 12-25-2005, 06:48 PM
Whoa G

I was just watching monster jam freestyle, and the four-wheel steering they use (on the 1:1 trucks) is completely independent of the front wheels, and is controlled by a separate switch in the truck. I figure i would use three buttons - one to move the wheels left, one to move them right, and one to centre the wheels. this would take just the right transmitter tho, but i think it's possible.
Old 12-26-2005, 01:34 PM
podge_87

cabbie from savvy central has finished his, says it works well
Old 12-27-2005, 01:33 AM
supernova803

I saw a video with one jumping with 4 wheel steering and it broke after the 3rd jump. Personally, I would invest your money in soemthing else.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:36 AM
supernova803

I saw a video with one jumping with 4 wheel steering and it broke after the 3rd jump. Personally, I would invest your money in soemthing else.