Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Share your horror stories!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 10:29 PM
-SomeGuy-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Share your horror stories!

I have 2 stories to tell.1 ended badly and the other ended very well...

#1)I was out running my savage (mostly stock) when a small dime sized rock found its way onto my engine plate.After a little bouncing around it just had to go between my robinson racing steel clutch bell n spur gear combo.The weakest part of the engine i soon found out was the pin on the crankshaft that holds the piston arm, well it snaped and my piston came down hard with the last explosion in the combustion chamber,so hard that the piston arm dented the inside of the crankcase and made a small crack that i think goes all the way through.Needless to say the engine is dead but some parts were salvagable...

#2)My new engine is a picco .27 and yes i had a "incident" with it to.I had found a nice place to jump with a big patch of sand to land in making it a perfect spot in case of bad jumps n bad landings.Well i jumped badly and landed badly, upside down that is and without noticing my air filter got knocked off!!! I ran the truck for about 1 or 2 minutes afterwards then the engine just cut out.I went over to investigate and my heart almost exploded when i saw the filter off but luckly i caught it early.Since then i took it appart and flushed it out, put it back together, started it and it seems to be fine, compression is still really strong and im sure i got 99% of the sand out, the only dammage i can see is on the crankshaft at the carb level but the piston n sleeve are impecable at least to the naked eye.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:40 PM
bigmike882

Default RE: Share your horror stories!

Wow, those are some horror stories. I dont have any yet for my savage b/c I dont have one yet. But soon I will, the 4.6, then I will tell some of my own horrow stories, as of now I own a jato. Havent had to many problems like yours. I would like to hear some stories like this as well.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:54 PM
DaveG55

Landed a jump badly (isn't it funny how that seems to start these kinds of stories), broke an engine mount, broke the mounting tab off the engine which tore a large hole in the side of the block, ruined the spur gear and bent two shock shafts and I found out later that it cracked the plastic carb base. The sad thing was the engine only had about 1/2 gallon through it. The good thing was the p/s, conrod and bearings were all ok, so after I replaced the block (e-bay find) I didn't even have to break it back in. Then I could not get it to tune and found the bad carb throat. SS25 carbs are expensive, even off e-bay.
Old 11-24-2005, 12:16 AM
icecreamslick
My Feedback: (9)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

True story:

I hit my wife in the leg with my Savage just as she was getting out of the car. [X(] Now, she is only 4'11" and I'm 6'1" 220 lbs, but she limped around the yard in a screaming fury, trying to grab me. Who knows what was going through her twisted mind at the time....it was horrifying.......for me.

Hispanic women don't play around! The story has a good ending, though................my Savage is fine.
Old 11-24-2005, 12:36 AM
bigmike882

LMAO, that ending was pretty funny. I bet your wife was pissed. I love these stories. This was a great idea for a thread. Hopefully it will really take off. I'll try to do something stupid with my crazy jato so I can post here lol.
Old 11-24-2005, 01:10 AM
-SomeGuy-

LOL !!!
I love that story.
i wanna see more like it!!!!
Old 11-24-2005, 01:45 AM
Hpi_mt2

Wasn't lookin at the end of my parking lot and I hit a curb about 65% of throttle and I bent the tvps and stripped out about 2 screw holes to my transmission I fixed the tvps with a hammer so all is well. Another horrible accident was cracking my S-25 crankcase by landing on the cooling head.
Old 11-24-2005, 01:59 AM
-SomeGuy-

OUCH n thanx.
That reminds me of when the same thing happened to me exept it was my friend driving my brand new truck and i was still a newbie to the hobby and knew nothing about it.I rode it for about 3 weeks wondering why it was turning 1 way more than the other untill i noticed my chassis was REALLY bent.At the time the strongest chassis i found was the hpi super tvp chassis made of "aircraft grade aluminium"(i guess its 7075 alloy n not 6061) but since then i found the hardcoreracing titanium chassis.Titanium chassis,titanium skidplate cover n a good center skidplate will make your truck 500% stronger to front impacts...
Old 11-24-2005, 07:00 AM
Cyberfyn

I once went to the coast with my brother for the day to run our cars, and on the first run had a runaway savage 25 that terrorised a beach full of people before commiting suicide by running into the surf at WOT I goes running down the beach with the transmitter and my shoulder bag with all the tools and fuel in it to rescue the car (which was totally submerged bar 2" of antenna) After rescuing the steaming Savage from the sea, I found that all my tools had bounced out of my bag and were lost somewhere in the sand, so I had to find a hardware stor pretty quickly to get a set of tools and a can of WD-40 to strip the car. Saltwater + Savage = scrap metal!

Fortunately I managed to get the Savage stripped down in the back of my car in a record time of 20 mins. Rinsed all the bits in fresh water (Even the engine parts) and put all the metal bits ain a plastic bag with half a can of WD-40 in it. When I got home I re-built the car (complete with failsafe this time) and It was fine.

ps The runaway was caused by my brother being on the same channel DOH!

Ian F.
Old 11-24-2005, 07:48 AM
LaxerMan21
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive had that problem before too, Not checking twice to see who has the same frequency......Thank goodness for 2.4ghz spread-spektrum controller!! lol
Old 11-24-2005, 11:51 AM
Whoa G

Sorry, don't have a savage, but this one ends happy anyway. I live in Canada, and I go camping at the provincial parks all the time. so this fall, I took my new Rush Evo with me to Bon Echo, and i was having a blast with it. then i decided to take it on the beach. I was running it up and down the beach, and everything was fine. then i let my friend drive it, who doesn't really have that much experience with nitro cars. he made one pass, and then tried to turn around at the end of the beach, but turned the wrong way - straight into the water. it's really amazing that the truck is made of all metal and plastic, but it really floats well. needless to say, I ran after the steaming truck, which stayed running for a surprisingly long time, it stalled just a couple of seconds before i got to it. I had waterproofed the radio box before the trip - or so i thought. I got it back to shore, and I turned the reciever back on, and the servos were both seizuring like crazy, so i pulled all the silicone off the box, and sure enough, i had forgotten to seal one of the wire holes, and the box was full of water. I dried out the reciever, and put it back together the next day, and it ran fine, so I guess it didn't damage the reviever. this winter, a failsafe is definiteley in order.
Old 11-24-2005, 12:05 PM
proxpilot
My Feedback: (3)

my worst horror story was buying an XTM mammoth
Old 11-24-2005, 01:16 PM
bigmike882

lol
ORIGINAL: proxpilot

my worst horror story was buying an XTM mammoth
Old 11-24-2005, 10:53 PM
tmodlin

I brought my savage home one weekend to my parents and my dad wanted to try it out. I said ok and gave him the radio. He was haulin around the yard and ended up in the street with a F-150 heading right at it. I yelled at him to gun it, just so he could get out of the path of the truck and he went WOT into the side of a Grand Prix. It didnt do much damage, screwed up body and bent roll bar, but he blamed it on me that I didnt show him where the brakes were.

My screw up. I was in a gravel parking lot with a buddy and we decided to make a ramp out of a sheet of plywood and some 2x4s. We got it all ready and had it about 3 feet from my S-10 facing a nice grassy landing spot. Anyway to make a long story short I went WOT into my S-10s tire. Oops, I looked over all seemed well and kept driving. After we got home I noticed that I broke the control arm. It was dark so I couldnt see the massive negative camber but after further looking I noticed that I split the control arm right where the seem was from when they made it. I superglued it back together and re installed it on the truck and drove it that way til my new plastic arms arived from ebay.

My only 2 screw ups were pretty minor so stay tuned for next summer where I am sure I will really screw up some stuff.
Old 11-25-2005, 06:39 PM
-SomeGuy-

These are great stories guys keep em comin.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:06 PM
-SomeGuy-

ya ya i know i brought back an old thread but i really want more of these stories...
Old 12-01-2005, 08:41 PM
wrchobby

This is my story,

One day i wished a Powerfull RC Monster truck...than i slept

Look what i saw when i woke up..!

http://www.wrchobby.com/gs-monster.htm

HO HO HOOO:::
Old 12-01-2005, 09:59 PM
fxrs

Horror story # 1, First wife.

Horror story #2, moving to new jersey and marrying wife #2.

Horror story # 3, my 11 year old son has a savage and I've got nothing.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:01 PM
fxrs

Horror story # 1, First wife.

Horror story #2, moving to new jersey and marrying wife #2.

Horror story # 3, my 11 year old son has a savage and I've got nothing.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:05 PM
fxrs

Horror story #4 I'm an idiot and posted the same reply twice.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:34 PM
the dog

now thats funny!!!
Old 12-01-2005, 10:35 PM
MBX5T Maniac
My Feedback: (-1)

Savage horror stories. Try staying on-topic pleaz
Old 12-01-2005, 11:09 PM
-SomeGuy-

I know were in the hpi monster truck forum but it doesnt HAVE to be savage horror stories, as long as its an offroad nitro rc then im glad to read your stories[8D]
Old 12-02-2005, 12:04 AM
MBX5T Maniac
My Feedback: (-1)

ok. Then let's at least keep it to off-road monster trucks
Old 12-02-2005, 05:07 PM
wrchobby

Serpent Motorsports decided to produce a HUGE MONSTER TRUCK early in the 2007...!

Futures:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
-5 speed gears with semi-manuel type (developed by Hewland)
-.60 size 4 stroke engine(liquid Cooled)
-Single Belt-Driven
-idependent Disk Brake in all wheels
-Remote Controlled Engine starter unit
-Titanium & Kevlar Compozite Monocouqe Main Chassis
-Rev& Heat indicator
-Alloy wheels 6.5 inch diameter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.