Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

savage21 gears

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 08:19 AM
Amosp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default savage21 gears

I have a Savage21 and was wondering how high I cango with the gearing and it still be able to get itself going from a stop. The stock gearing is 14/52. How much of a change can I make to get more top end speed? I know everybody thinks I should go with a bigger engine, but I like my ol' 21, plus I have a Savage with the 4.6. I have had the 21 for about 3 years now and have never had problem with it and still like to run it too. Any suggestions?
Old 12-03-2005, 01:24 AM
Baroncowboy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: savage21 gears

Hello,
Im sure glad to see you still enjoy your stock engine...My savage is the newer 25 however,and I have ran my stock 25 for just about 3 years now,and as your engine it has been as reliable as any engine I have ever owned or seen for that matter..."Monster Truck People" in the majority seem to think that the bigger the better,but thats a pretty hasty mistake often made by all to many when it comes to reliability...Ive seen way to many people buy that "hot new high performance engine" only to realize they arent having as much fun as they did when it had the ol'stock beater still going...
Im not saying that all high perfomance engines are hard to deal with by no means,but its something often over looked when it comes to practicality.... About the gear change now that Ive finished blabbering....haha... If you are concerned with mostly top speed you should try a 49 tooth spur with an 18t clutch bell.... That will give you plenty of top end,but be sure to make sure your clutch shoes are in new condition,or you could even go as far as to buy alloy shoes as a upgrade... The reason for this is so you dont prematurely burnup the clutch due to such high gearing....It will be harder to get the truck rolling from a stand still with all that gear,so you'll need all the bite you can get to eliminate excesive slip... If that ends up being to much gear for your 21 down size the bell gear,but leave the less toothed spur in there....
If you ever do decide to get a larger engine,I highly recomend concidering the new O.S. 30VG
I have run countless OS engines in my planes and heli's and a few cars,and I will tell you honestly,every OS I have ever owned or seen for that matter has been an industry standard when it comes to reliability all way through the power band... Heres a pic of the engine >
Towers got em for $269.99 A bit steap on price but you will definatly get what you pay for...
If you do decide to go this route oneday,make sure its the one for the savage as there are three different ways to buy this engine...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30475.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	364017  
Old 12-03-2005, 10:28 AM
alvinl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: savage21 gears

ORIGINAL: svgracer

I have a Savage21 and was wondering how high I cango with the gearing and it still be able to get itself going from a stop. The stock gearing is 14/52. How much of a change can I make to get more top end speed? I know everybody thinks I should go with a bigger engine, but I like my ol' 21, plus I have a Savage with the 4.6. I have had the 21 for about 3 years now and have never had problem with it and still like to run it too. Any suggestions?
HPI has an gearing chart on their website that shows the combinations available. Here is a link:

http://www.hpiracing.com/graphics/instr/savagegears.jpg