Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

XTM 24.7 Running too cold?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 12:40 PM
Starcraft-IX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XTM 24.7 Running too cold?

I just finished breaking in an XTM 24.7 pro. So far, this is the best engine that I have ever owned, but I do have a problem with getting it up to temp. During break in, I heated it with a hair dryer, put a sock on the head, and still had a difficult time getting the temps above 200 when running it around for the heat cycles. I finally had to cover it with foil and a sock, to get the temps up, and I had to drive it harder than I wanted to to get it there.

Now with the engine broken in, I still have a hard time with temps. I've covered the hole in my windshield, but even when bashing around, I'll sometimes temp in the 180s or 190s running in grass. I've tuned the engine based on engine performance (good wheelies clear sounding top end with good smoke), and I only use temp as part of the tuning equation.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is this thing just so easy to tune that it is running too rich and I don't realize it? I will say that it smokes a lot at idle, but it will idle forever, and really doesn't load up all that bad.

I'm running Odonnel 20% with MC59 plug at sealevel ambient air temp was ~50 - 55F
Old 12-01-2005, 08:33 PM
mosavage

Default RE: XTM 24.7 Running too cold?

That's weird because mine runs hot, im going to richen it up a bit
Old 12-01-2005, 10:19 PM
icecreamslick
My Feedback: (9)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a similar problem during break-in and I also had to use aluminum foil. Mine still does not get over about 210 degrees after a half gallon of fuel, but I'm using 30% nitro. [sm=thumbup.gif]

I'd say that since you did reach the 200 degree mark each run during the break-in period, that you should not have to worry. As you continue to run fuel through the engine, the temps will probably increase gradually on their own. There is nothing wrong with a cool engine, as long as it is truly broken-in. Count yourself lucky that you do not have an over-heating problem.......that is where the wear on the engine takes its toll.

Good luck and enjoy.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:37 AM
Starcraft-IX

No kidding on the overheating.

As for excessive wear, I thought that too cold is just as bad (maybe worse) than too hot due to the sleeve not expanding enough.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:02 PM
jediguru

Has anyone had trouble running there XTM 24.7 in the cold?, keeping the temp up at acceptable levels?
Old 12-19-2005, 08:22 PM
Polar_Bus

ORIGINAL: Starcraft-IX

I just finished breaking in an XTM 24.7 pro. So far, this is the best engine that I have ever owned, but I do have a problem with getting it up to temp. During break in, I heated it with a hair dryer, put a sock on the head, and still had a difficult time getting the temps above 200 when running it around for the heat cycles. I finally had to cover it with foil and a sock, to get the temps up, and I had to drive it harder than I wanted to to get it there.

Now with the engine broken in, I still have a hard time with temps. I've covered the hole in my windshield, but even when bashing around, I'll sometimes temp in the 180s or 190s running in grass. I've tuned the engine based on engine performance (good wheelies clear sounding top end with good smoke), and I only use temp as part of the tuning equation.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is this thing just so easy to tune that it is running too rich and I don't realize it? I will say that it smokes a lot at idle, but it will idle forever, and really doesn't load up all that bad.

I'm running Odonnel 20% with MC59 plug at sealevel ambient air temp was ~50 - 55F

The XTM Pro has an EXTREMELY efficient huge heatsink. It's common for the XTM Pro to run cool in colder weather. I have never seen my XTM's temps climb above 250F even in the dead of summer. Wrap 1/2 the heatsink with aluminum foil, or some type of sheet metal to block some airflow. You need to get the temps up to at least 230F.