Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

replacing diffs

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 02:02 PM
langecivta

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing diffs

what is the easiest way to replace the diffs i just blew my rear diff i now have a front wheel drive savage 25 [:@]
Old 12-02-2005, 02:09 PM
joes75
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: replacing diffs

I recently just had to do this myself. You will have to remove the whole rear end of the truck from the tvps. I dont think there is any other way. It gets easier once you do it a couple of times, follow the manual if you have one. Before you do this though make sure you didnt lose any dogbones, this will cause you to lose RWD as well.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:19 PM
langecivta

i didnt lose the dog bones. i just recently swapped out the 2 speed for the 3 speed and there goes the diff i was just hoping there was an easier way because i didnt want to have to pull the whole truck apart again.[&o]
Old 12-02-2005, 02:19 PM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

yeah u make sure its the diff ..check the set screw on the cvds if it fell off it will make u run 2wd too..
Old 12-02-2005, 02:22 PM
bam.bam

There are 4 bolts (screws) that hold the entire rear assembly to the TVP's. Remove these 4 screws and loosen a couple of other TVP screws on both sides to get a good seperation.
The entire rear assemblt should come out. Then you can work on that on getting out the diff from the rear assembly. Easier to work this way.

On a side note, the front assembly are removed the same way but in addition to the 4 screws, the steering linkage also needs to be disconnected before seperation...
It's actually a more pain in the ***** to get the front assembly out. Just a little...
Hope this helps you out...
Old 12-02-2005, 02:24 PM
langecivta

dont have cvds yet still have stock set up only mods so far is 3 speed and reverse mod
Old 12-02-2005, 02:51 PM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

oh i mean the drive cups..anyway u can test ur diff is working by lifting the front end and push the truck backwards if the wheels are locked like theyre on brakes then their fine..or u can also put the truck on a stand and spin one wheel on one side .wheels should spin on opposite direction..
Old 12-02-2005, 03:40 PM
langecivta

i tried that i lifted the front and pushed it backwards and it moves freely forward and backward not like with brakes on
Old 12-02-2005, 04:01 PM
langecivta

anyone ever tried these diff locks here is a link[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34161.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	363738  
Old 12-02-2005, 05:04 PM
green river rc
My Feedback: (2)

A buddy of mine tried the diff lockers and he broke a lot of other things like pinion gears, dog bones and axles, he also said his truck didn't turn as well, so he took them out and did the 4 spider gear thing. I personaly have never tried them.
Old 12-04-2005, 07:24 AM
langecivta

turns out the problem was the set screw on the brake hub was missing it wasnt the diff
Old 12-05-2005, 04:02 AM
popadel

I also converted to a one way in teh rear and for fun i made it RWD. Well in the dirt its uncontrolable with that 27 motor in there. Even on very very light throtle it spins and on a hand full it spins right out to the point of loosing contact wiuth the ground.

But man is it fun!

on grass where tracktion is better is a lot of fun and the front lifts off the ground at 30 mph. also its so asy to steer now. but lightning fast steering.

Will keep it like this till i get bored.