Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

NS 25 Engine porting.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 11:05 PM
tmodlin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NS 25 Engine porting.

http://www.rccaraction.com/rc/articles/htpporting_1.asp

I found it to be a very interesting read. I am gonig to give it a shot since I purchased a new engine and the old NS is just a spare.

Discuss
Old 12-06-2005, 11:07 PM
DaveG55

Default RE: NS 25 Engine porting.

Everything I've heard and read said it's worth the effort....if you don't screw up and trash the motor. Never done it myself though.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:23 PM
tmodlin

ORIGINAL: DaveG55

Everything I've heard and read said it's worth the effort....if you don't screw up and trash the motor. Never done it myself though.
I have heard the same. Like I said, I have NS as a spare so if I screw it up it wont leave me stranded. I am pretty good with a pencil grinder and that write up explains it very well so I think I am gonna dive it a shot.

Where is Frost? I know he has done stuff like this before, but his looked completely different.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:15 PM
fxrs

I did it to my sons savage, turned out great. check this thread

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_30...tm.htm#3078291

Check this 2nd thread for what I did to carb also.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_27...tm.htm#2821418
Old 12-07-2005, 05:26 PM
tmodlin

ORIGINAL: fxrs

I did it to my sons savage, turned out great. check this thread

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_30...tm.htm#3078291

Check this 2nd thread for what I did to carb also.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_27...tm.htm#2821418
Thanks for the feedback. I already have the Sportwerks carb so enlarging the carb throat is not necessary for me. As soon as I get a new, sharp carbide burr I will be giving this a shot. I have never had an engine completely disassemled before, can someone link me to some tips of getting the bearings out of the case? I sure would hate to ruin my engine before I even get a chance to port it.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:01 PM
MarkJeepn

Is there any one that is in Denver, CO that can do this, becuase I don't have the tools nor the steadiness in my hands to do this.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:27 PM
DaveG55

ORIGINAL: MarkJeepn

Is there any one that is in Denver, CO that can do this, becuase I don't have the tools nor the steadiness in my hands to do this.
Don't know about Denver but there are companies that will do it if you send them the motor.
Here's an example, there are others too.
http://www.tntmods.com/
I'm not reccomending these folks, just giving you a direction to look.

Old 12-08-2005, 05:32 PM
DaveG55

[/quote]

Thanks for the feedback. I already have the Sportwerks carb so enlarging the carb throat is not necessary for me. As soon as I get a new, sharp carbide burr I will be giving this a shot. I have never had an engine completely disassemled before, can someone link me to some tips of getting the bearings out of the case? I sure would hate to ruin my engine before I even get a chance to port it.
[/quote]

You shold not have to take the bearings out to do the mod. Everything else comes out pretty easily. If you do need to take the bearings out, put the block in the oven (set at 400*, I think) for 10-15 minutes, take it out and tap it onto something heatproof and the bearings should come out. I won't say they come right out because sometimes they can be tough to get out.
When reinstalling the bearings, freeze them for 30-40 minutes before tapping them in.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:49 PM
tmodlin

ORIGINAL: DaveG55
You shold not have to take the bearings out to do the mod. Everything else comes out pretty easily. If you do need to take the bearings out, put the block in the oven (set at 400*, I think) for 10-15 minutes, take it out and tap it onto something heatproof and the bearings should come out. I won't say they come right out because sometimes they can be tough to get out.
When reinstalling the bearings, freeze them for 30-40 minutes before tapping them in.
I was thinking that you would need to take the bearings out. Like i said, I have never had it completely apart. I actually tried taking the sleeve out the other night and that thing wouldnt give up. I didnt want to risk bending or nicking it so I just left it for now. On my new engine the sleve comes out on its own with the head off just by rotating the crank.