Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Engine Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 06:04 AM
EXA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Rebuild

Hi guys, just wondering if you can tell me the proceedure of taking everything out of the engine. You've all prob seen the thread i started about the hydro lock, well hpi won't fix it.

Just wondering if you can tell me how to get the piston/sleeve out, conrod and crank as it all needs replacing.

jacob
Old 12-08-2005, 06:33 AM
Baroncowboy
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Engine Rebuild

OK,its pretty easy once you do it one time...
First take off the back-plate...BE CAREFUL not to lose the little pin and spring in the center of the con-rod were it connects to the crank...When you take the back-plate off,hold it with he backplate strait up towards the ceiling ...If you do lose either or both of em"You may already know this",you wont be able to start the engine untill you replace them...After thats outa the way,remove the head and plug button from the top of the engine,and turn the flywheel over untill the piston is at its lowest stroke point...You should be able to see the exhaust port on the back side of the engine block....Take a zip-tie and slide it though the top of the piston sleve into the exhaust port...
Now turn the crank over via the flywheel untill it binds the piston....Give it a pretty snug turn and viola!!! The sleve should pop right out....Once this is done,you will have enough slop in the piston to slide the con-rod off the crank,and out they both will come!... The crank can be a winch to get out sometime,but it should be relitivly easy to figure this out once you've done all the above...
Now if I may make a sugestion... Concider buying a WASP 26,or 28.... They arent barely more than all these new parts are going to cost you when its all said and done,and they have loads more power,and who doesnt like that....Not to menchen they are pretty reliable and easy to tune concidering they are hi-output raceing engines...But if your dead set on stock,I hope that helps you out a little....Good luck! Josh
Old 12-08-2005, 09:36 AM
DaveG55

Save yourself the trouble of rebuilding that one. Since you need the crank, you'll need bearings too, especially with all the itty bits that were in that engine. You'll easily be over the cost of a new engine just in parts.
There's always the hpi engine exchange program. You could get a brand new NS25 for $100 or the 4.6 for $150 but we know how you're feeling about HPI right now, so.......

There are several good aftermarket engines out there. I'm running a Mach.26 on my Savage and it flat out screams ($150 new from Horizon) They also have a new Mach.28 for like $30 more that I've heard good reports on. There's also that new .30 OS out that everybody is talking about. There are also good motors from Collari, Wasp, Pico, Siro, Sportwerks and many more.
Then there's always e-bay. If you're willing to take the risk you can get some good deals. I got my Mach.26, new, for $80 shipped.
In any case good luck.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:33 PM
EXA

i really just don't know how to get the sleeve out. It just won't come out. I put the sip tie in and it just chops it off and the sleeve doesn't move. It's like it's stuck in there.

I'd prob get everything off ebay from america. I have spotted cranks/pistons/sleeves for very low prices. Around 15 dollars each.

I may still go a new engine but i am very strapt for cash.

Jacob
Old 12-08-2005, 10:58 PM
DaveG55

Well, since it's pretty certain that your engine ate a steel pin it's not too far fetched to believe that it deformed the sleeve in the block. That would make it hard to get the sleeve out.
Since the piston, sleeve, conrod and crank are toast now, you don't have to worry about damaging them anymore. So, rather than use a zip tie to get the sleeve to move try a drill bit. At this point, the only thing you don't want to damage is the engine block.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:58 PM
MBX5T Maniac
My Feedback: (-1)

Eva, if you buy the Mach .26, there are some reliable ebay sites that sell the parts for it for cheap. I got a brand new crank for 10 bux from them. the piston and sleeve is only 50 dollars.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:15 AM
EXA

hahaha yeah! Well i've pretty much thrashed the sleeve. I use a nail to lift it about 2mm and the lip of the sleeve is just out of the block. I can't get it any further. I got pliers onto the sleeve and it won;t budge. It's well and truly jammed
Old 12-09-2005, 05:31 AM
amec

If you have a heat gun you could try to heat the block a little. Can you use the piston to help you a little? Wedge something between the piston and sleeve, then turn the flywheel perhaps.
The sh.247 is selling for $89 AU!!
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/SH-247-Rear-E...QQcmdZViewItem

Claims 2.6 hp at 28000, it should get your truck moving.
I also know a guy that has a spare HPI.25 that he might sell you.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:02 AM
Alexey

A hair dryer on maximum setting can heat up engine pretty well.
Make sure you don’t burn yourself though.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:43 PM
EXA

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/SH-247-Rear-E...QQcmdZViewItem

The engine kinda looks dodgy. I've purchased off that guy before. I got 2 new metal gear servos from him and he said they would work on any reciever. Well they don't. I think it might be the reciever though. But the point is he was a very bad ebayer. He took ages to send it. Lost my payment, f*cked me around for around 1 month and then rather than express posting it put it on the slowest shippin possible. Then gave me negative feedback on the basis that i should have given him a positive.

JT

p.s, i'm looking at a Orion Wasp .28. What are they like?
Old 12-11-2005, 09:50 PM
EXA

alright guys... the result of the rebuild:
i managed to get the warped sleve out but it came out pretty thrashed

next the piston was to come out. For some unknown reason the crank had lots and lots of slack in it and it would be able to move in and out atleast 5mm. Got the piston and conrod out and they are badly broken

the crank came out and it was in pretty good nick apart from where the pin goes!

the big bearing is full or somethign so that'll need to be replaced as well.

just so sick of this truck right now. I'm not sure what to do.

Jacob

P.S it's not my fault if the pictures are all different sizes. I made the all the same size it's photobucket who f*cked the sizes up.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:08 PM
DaveG55

Cheer up guy, the damage is done and it's all uphill from here.
If you'll look back over the posts in your two threads you'll notice that several people told you that the cuurent engine would probably not be worth rebuilding. You should be able to find a new engine for around $150 shipped maybe less if you find a good one, like say the Mach.26, on e-bay.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:49 PM
MBX5T Maniac
My Feedback: (-1)

.26: http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByC...ProdID=DYN0887
.28: http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByC...ProdID=DYN0890
Old 12-12-2005, 04:49 AM
EXA

unfortunatly i have no money. I'm 18 and unemployed! this stupid truck has done nothing but steal time and money.

I dunno about the mach engine. the .28 max rpm is ony 28000. That would lower the top speed of the truck drematically.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:12 AM
XtmSucks

STS.28 you can get them at recernine.com for $120 or on ebay for $112. I know what you mean about not having cash.....i'm 18 aswell and just finally got a job 2 weeks ago.

If you want to rebuild that engine.....look into IntegraJspec on ebay. He parts out S-25 motors for extremly cheap. I bought a block with bearings,crankshaft,backplate and carb for somewhere around $60.