Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

noise level

Old 01-03-2006, 06:39 PM
N3W2R/C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noise level

I am new to the sport and before i am alllowed to buy a monster truck my parents want to know the noise levels on these things
Old 01-03-2006, 06:58 PM
dark321devil

Default RE: noise level

they are pretty loud.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:03 PM
bagged97

They're mighty quiet if you ask me, but then again I work at a jet base. So all day long I get to hear F/A-18's take off and land. Compaired to that they're quiet. I'd say they're no louder than a normal push mower.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:09 PM
Crf250ed

Compared to a small block, the savage is rather noisy.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:10 PM
-SomeGuy-

Plain and simple, its loud!!!
Just dont put a ribbed pipe on it or youll increase the noise level.Your better off using the stock pipe, its a good pipe and as far as i know its the most quiet one.
If you need to convince someone then i suggest bugging your dad for it.Go to www.beatyourtruck.com and look under beatings, there you can show him all sorts of crazy videos and he will see that most ppl who have one are his age.Maybe you can eventually convince him to get himself one and tell him that it could be a father n son hobby.I know it may sound corny but parents almost allways fall for the underlaying guilt factor.

Anyways just dont whine for it or youll never get it, make a deal with them at the worst but in the end GET THAT SAVAGE you wont regret whatever it cost you...
Old 01-03-2006, 07:17 PM
bagged97

Like I said it's no louder than a lawn mower. I'm sure you're pop has no problem with you firing up the ol push mower now does he? I'll bet he even want's you to do that! Lord know's mine did.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:09 PM
boydie1

bagged97... I work at an airport with the air-force on one side of the runway (F/A 18's & BAE Hawks)and airline on the other (717's, 737's & A320's) so I know what you mean when you say the savage is quiet compared to these. I'm lucky my neighbor has a nitro rustler so he doesn't complain if I'm running up & down the street tuning.
If you have problem neighbors this might not be the MT your parents will allow you to buy as it does have a distinctive noise.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:13 PM
bagged97

I have the ribbed pipe and it is loud, but the composite pipe is considerably quieter. That's something to think about.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:38 PM
amitbob21

i have a ribbed pipe too. but then again i really dont know how loud it is with the stock pipe because i got my savage of ebay and it came with a ribbed pipe. i really dont think there is to much of a difference. at full throttle it is like 3 time louder than an average lawnmower and full throttle is mostly what you will be doing. mostly... anywayz if you plan on driving in a neighborhood, DONT! you WILL get a complaint. luckily for me i got one but they only complained to me not my parents. so basicly these things are pretty loud aa errr actually theyre VERY loud. i didnt think it would be that loud when i got it (it was my first nitro) but now i know and only drive it in a construction site a few blocks fromy my house.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:32 PM
cohma

Are you gonna run it in your backyard? Unless you have a big yard I would recommend taking it out somwhere where you can take it to it's limits. I live on 1.5 Acres and I sure don't have enough room for my beast hehehe. I am only breaking on new engines at home... but that's about it. I take my truck out somewhere else...
And like bob said, if you have neighbors, and they get fed up with that sound (which I can totally understand) you might wanna take it somewhere else. But then again, depends on what type of subdivision you live in. But I would not plan on driving it at home, maybe once in a while but not on a regular basis.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:38 AM
Crf250ed

I would agree that it is a little loud for neihborhood driving, but i do it all the time! I've been here longer then all of my neighbors, so they normally leave me alone, in fear of being disliked.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:58 AM
gerwen

It's loud. Gas mower comparison is fair. It's higher pitched, but probably just as loud. If you're looking for quiet, try an E-zilla or E-maxx. Electric is near silent by comparison.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:14 PM
fxrs

Go to the HPI web site, they have many videos of the savage running.
Down load a few and play them for your parents to see.
But keep your speaker volume down low so they will think
the noise is not so bad.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:26 PM
snowbl!nd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: fxrs

Go to the HPI web site, they have many vidieos of the savage running. Down load a few and play them
for your parents to see. But keep your speaker volume down low so they will think the noise is not
so bad.
Hell, just mute it.

Then act really suprised when you get it and it sounds like a chainsaw...

(i run an MGT up and down my street, and that is much louder than a Savage. So far only 1 person has complained)
Old 01-04-2006, 03:38 PM
itspuddingtime00

The avage is loud. I'd say it's louder than a weedwacker, but its high pitched and varies, so it can be annoying to other people. I'm not trying to start an argument or anything, but a stock revo is WAYYY quieter than a savage. If you have the money, take a revo into consideration, it is a very good truck, and a lot quieter. I had no trouble running a stock revo in my neighborhood, or even an RB TM323 equipped revo. But when I drove the savage for the first time in my street, someone called and complained.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:06 PM
bagged97

It's not three times louder than a lawnmower. Come on amitbob21, that's pretty loud. Let's be realistic.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:16 PM
Savage545

My neighborhood consists of mostly older aged people who tend to complain more often than younger people. When I run my savage in a "younger aged neighborhood" I never get complaints. If your worried about how loud it will be I would recommend taking it to a track or someplace that is less likely to have people complain.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:20 PM
amitbob21

ok ok its like 2 times louder (full throttle). if u disagree, i have a quiet lawnmower or its just you.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:28 PM
kurtf5

It kinda sounds like a stroppy cat screaming into a mic.....sort of anyway!
On idle they arnt that loud, and with the shell on they are alot quieter. You could get some kind of 1/10 truck with a .15 engine, they are really quiet in my opinion, when your used to a savage anyway.
Also lawnmowers are much louder! We have 5 lawnmowers and they are all much louder than say a savage, swift 2 etc..
Old 01-04-2006, 05:41 PM
azzman

IMO the savage is quite loud, I have SS with the alu pipe (not ribbed). I definitely feel better running my smallblock (OS 18) in the streets. Its just so quiet in comparison. If running in ther street is what you do mainly then consider a small block.
I only run the Savage in the street for about 15-20 mins at a time, and then only a couple of times a week. Other than that I go to areas away from my house....
I havent had any complaints yet, one guy came out and said its great to hear someone having fun!
Old 01-04-2006, 08:02 PM
N3W2R/C

thanks all of yall i live in a fairly large subdivision with about 1 1/2 acre lots and they dont mind me doint fireworks. does anybody have any other suggestions on how to keep the noise level down?
i really appreciate all the responses.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:04 PM
N3W2R/C

thanks all of yall i live in a fairly large subdivision with about 1 1/2 acre lots and they dont mind me doint fireworks. does anybody have any other suggestions on how to keep the noise level down?
i really appreciate all the responses.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:35 PM
bigbodychevy

well, as for noise, they shouldnt mind during the Afternoon, or on weekends. Unless you have a close nieghbor that works nights. Be respectful of the people around you.

New Years eve was the first warm dry weekend we have had in a while, so I fired up my sons mt2 i got used off ebay and my Savage 4.6SS i just built(our christmas). We ran the MT2 about 2 tanks up and down the street at about 9-9:30pm(first tank me and my buddy tuning the engine the second all him). Then around 10:30 we fired up the savage for the first time. Ran about 1.5 tanks thru it heat cycling (running figure 8's at idle-half throttle). The savage was 2-3 times louder. I should of got alot of complaints from nieghbors but it was news years eve and saturday most of my block was away at party's.

Come to thank if it I probly shouldn't of done that. I was drunk as a skunk, and it was late in the evening. But all 4 direct nieghbors where gone at partys ;-). We where itching to play with christmas presents, couldnt wait till sunday hehe.

Heres a vid form sunday. http://www.putfile.com/bigbodychevy

Go to a local park or like you see in the video a baseball diamond in the middle of no where. All I really do in my niehborhood is tune or break in a engine. We let em rip in the open, where nobody should give a damn.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:56 PM
MarkJeepn

If you want a quiet truck stay away from the collari .30 I have one in my truck and the cops showed up at my house. Needless to say they didn't do much, They thought the truck was pretty cool doing wheelies from a dead stop. Oh and don't fire it up at 6:00 in the morning, My neighbors got a little pissed.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:16 PM
Crf250ed

Suprisingly though, when i shut my door, i can not hear the nitros outside. So, ask them to shut their door![8D]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.