Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Break-in Issues (Idling)

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 04:40 PM
seef23

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Break-in Issues (Idling)

Dear all,

Like many other Savage enthusiasts, I have an idling problem. I ran the first tank, off the ground at the lowest rate I could get before stalling it. The engine stalled several times. I cant get the truck to idle (without the wheels turning). If I turn down the servo throttle the engine dies. This is really frustrating and stressful. It feels like I am going to brake the truck.

How do I get the truck to idle? I don't want to fiddle with the HSN/LSN or the idle adjustment screw. According to the manual I should only start fiddling with these settings after break-in. I don't have a temperature gun, and will not acquire on soon.

Point is, how can I switch on the receiver, and the radio, keep the engine running (before it stalls), put it down on the ground (it will start running forward immediately because it does not idle without the clutch engaged), and start the rest of the break-in? Even if I get the truck to run in circle, when I get to coasting part to cool down the engine, it will stall because I cant get the truck to idle!

Some suggested the throttle trim on the radio. Some suggested the idle adjustment screw, some suggested the LSN.

Thank you in advance for assisting.

Old 01-13-2006, 05:35 PM
jamiecutter9

Default RE: Break-in Issues (Idling)

hello m8 i ave to just purchased a savage 25 i had problems with my idle to.
you need to open the carb 1/4 of the way. start the engine and let it warm up a bit then u need to turn the idle adjustment screw slowly clockwise until it is idleing at the correct speed.
the wheels always turn no matter wot and i counldnt find a way to stop them. aslong as they aint spinning rapidly it will be fine
good luck
Old 01-13-2006, 05:44 PM
coolpixer

Your not going to break the truck. Tune the throttle just before you know it will stall and continue break in. I say let the wheels turn on blocks a little. You do know that if you set it on the ground without the blocks your wheels will stop turning also. ...continue your break in. better tweaking will come with time too

I learned not to sweat the small stuff.

good luck
Old 01-13-2006, 07:21 PM
kurtf5

When i broke mine in the wheels didnt move at all.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:07 PM
coolpixer

yeah .. take my advice as a 'for whats its worth'. i'm no expert, just offering what i would do.

like a mate would do
Old 01-14-2006, 05:54 AM
Polar_Bus

ORIGINAL: seef23

Dear all,

Like many other Savage enthusiasts, I have an idling problem. I ran the first tank, off the ground at the lowest rate I could get before stalling it. The engine stalled several times. I cant get the truck to idle (without the wheels turning). If I turn down the servo throttle the engine dies. This is really frustrating and stressful. It feels like I am going to brake the truck.

How do I get the truck to idle? I don't want to fiddle with the HSN/LSN or the idle adjustment screw. According to the manual I should only start fiddling with these settings after break-in. I don't have a temperature gun, and will not acquire on soon.

Point is, how can I switch on the receiver, and the radio, keep the engine running (before it stalls), put it down on the ground (it will start running forward immediately because it does not idle without the clutch engaged), and start the rest of the break-in? Even if I get the truck to run in circle, when I get to coasting part to cool down the engine, it will stall because I cant get the truck to idle!

Some suggested the throttle trim on the radio. Some suggested the idle adjustment screw, some suggested the LSN.

Thank you in advance for assisting.

As far as what you are explaining, simply IGNORE the manuall. Turn your idle screw clockwise 1/2 turn, and your frustrations will be over. When breaking in an engine, you want a high enough idle to just make your wheels spin slowly. Furthermore, DON'T be afraid to lean out your LSN just enough to allow a clean consistant idle. You need your temps to get up around 230F for a proper break-in. If your engine is idleing below 200F, it's NOT breaking in. Do some searching on "heat cycleing" and you will find a TON of expert break-in tips.