Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Anyone Own a Savage X?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 11:49 PM
ccs77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anyone Own a Savage X?

I want to come over for your next cook out.

Old 02-16-2006, 11:59 PM
doesgo

"*The thing with the Hellfire though is it isn't made for that long straightaway high speed with it's single speed. "

Not a very safe assumption, many truggies will do low- to mid-40s out of the box. They're more efficient than regular MTs and lighter, too. When RC Car magazine tested the GS SUT when it came out in 2004 it was the fastest truck they had tested to date!
Old 02-17-2006, 12:31 AM
Josh222

one guy got his hellfire with 18t bell clocked at 48mph
Old 02-17-2006, 02:53 AM
Bill Plude

I saw that in another forum, it was 47. something right? I'm sure that mine does that too once it heats up. "Once it heats up" LOL, the thing runs so cool too the hottest I've had it was 195 and that was with the head wrapped with foil. I don't do that anymore. It's just a beast! I always bring my new trucks down to my RC guy for a final "Tweaking" tune up after I finish breaking them in. In the case of the Hellfire it was the day after I bought it (and I bought it in a late afternoon). He had it tuned and screaming quickly and running up and down the driveway to his store and all over the sides of the driveway and all over the lawn of the building next to the driveway and jumping up over the grassy knolls where the cars usually park on busy days. Yep....a full tank of fuel! LOL. His 11 year old son was there watching him saying "My dad likes that truck" I could tell the way he was beating on it! LOL. I didn't mind at all, The guy's a pro, I enjoyed watching him make the Hellfire dance. That's another thing about the truck, the brakes! It's got some!!!!!!!! Wait, is this the Hellfire forum? Sorry guys. I've just had to hold it in so long.........I could go on the same way about the Revo though, as some of you who PMed me for my opinion about it would agree
Old 02-17-2006, 08:23 AM
jasplat88

Do any of you Savage X owners also own or have driven a Revo? How do they compare? Why would you choose one over the other? Looking to make a purchase in the next week or so. Any advice or pros/cons about either would be most helpful. Thanks!

-Jason
Old 02-17-2006, 09:22 AM
mmduc

i got my x 2 days ago,has a carb. problem. cant tune it. my hellfire runs wesome though. hpi is gonna send out a new carb monday ill keep ya posted
Old 02-17-2006, 10:05 AM
ashburg

mmduc...is the Carb problem specific to YOUR Savage X do you think?

Mr. Bill...take your next Vet Check and Get a Savage X Brother ...and for god's sake stop making me lust after a hellfire My wife's alredy perterbed at me about the Savage X purchase.

doesgo...tell us more about this Collari .32...where's the beef hehe - more torque or more wind out top end power - or both?

Tyler...get your Wife some nice flowers and maybe she won't retaliate and go spending at the mall this weekend

Savage X on Ebay - $434.99, shipped reeeeel chEEp - Check it out: http://cgi.ebay.com/NIB-HPI-SAVAGE-X...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 02-17-2006, 11:01 AM
ashburg

Guys...to quickly refer someone to this thread, I have setup the following redirect: http://savagex.ashburg.com

Easier than saying "http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/post.asp?do=reply&messageID=3922796&toStyle=tm" yes?

cya,
ash
Old 02-17-2006, 12:08 PM
ncrego
My Feedback: (40)

I got my Savage X 2 days ago, it's a very nice truck, with real improvements over the original Savage 21 RTR (that I also bought the day it came out). I've also owned the Revo and a bunch of other nitro monsters, plus a bunch of electrics, and cars. Out of them all, I always come back to the Savage. I don't race the monster trucks, I just bash with them, and for that, the near indestructability of the Savage, as well as the great jumping ability, and easy to tune engines that come stock win out. For racing, the Revo is a better design (lower CG, lighter, higher corner speeds), but if I'm not on a track, I'll take a Savage over anything.

One of my flying buddies and I were talking out at the flying field while we were out flying helis and planes, and he said he wanted to get trucks so we could run them when the wind was heavy, or others were flying. Having gotten rid of all my cars and trucks a year ago due to never running them from focusing on my Helis, I agreed, and said we should get the new Savage X, since my original went through hell and back and was about the best RC vehicle I had ever owned (and I've had a LOT). So my buddy and I bought the first 2 that came into my LHS for $429 a piece. They both started right up and idled through the first tank without incident that night on my deck, it was 15 degrees and snowy, but he had never had a nitro truck before, so he was anxious to start it up, and we froze our *****es off while they idled. Haven't started them up since, as it's been snowing heavily here in IA, and it's -5 degrees out right now. No way I'm going out in that.

Having spent a little time with the truck on the bench, it's a very nice design, with real improvements over the older ones. I've pulled the front diff just to see how easy it is, and yes, it comes out in about a minute, and that's taking the time to read the instructions. Same with the center trans, just a few screws and it's apart. Both huge improvements over the nearly complete stripdown the original truck took. The new plastic roll bar, and cage are better than the original metal pieces, they are sturdy, and won't get bent up like the stock metal hoop did, only disadvantage is with the new airfilter, the hoop can't really be used as a handle, but oh well, with the body on you couldn't get to it, anyways. The wheels are held on by much larger, sturdier hexes, I don't anticipate the stripping problems that existed with the originals. The wheel nuts are different, they are a standard nut attached to a large flange with knurled lip on it that keys into the wheel to actually hold the wheel on straight. The wheels themselves have a much larger hole than the axle, so when you put it on the hex it still flops around and doesn't have any strength until the nut is screwed on. It's an interesting design, I have my doubts about the flange on the nut being big and tough enough to keep the wheel levering off it, but time will tell. I put a good dose of locktite on it, and torqued the nuts down, hopefully that will prove enough to keep the wheels in one piece.

Here's the post I put on another forum the night I got it, with detailed impressions of the changes:

My buddy and I picked up the first 2 Savage Xs that came into our LHS for $429 a piece. Previously, I owned the first model of Savage 21, along with just about every other Monster Truck out there. I can tell you that this is a very nice truck, and the impression it gives is that they've made a lot of improvements that cost me a lot of time and money.
I never bought another Savage after that, I just kept improving mine, so some of these may have shipped with previous models of Savage between the X and the original.

Nice air filter, just like the Dirt Savers (if I recall correctly) I spent a bunch of money on.

Nice steering servo saver, just like the Ofna one I adapted.

Roll cage isn't installed out of thebox, but easily fits on in a minute or 2. It's fairly sturdy, I don't see the engine getting damaged with it on. There was minor body trimming necessary to fit it, but the lines are marked on the body for where to trim.

New Chassis is sweet! The gunmetal color looks great, it gives the truck a much more polished look than the old silver TVPs did. It's pretty obvious that the access to the center trans wil be easy.

New tires and wheels look great, much better than the old ones, I expect good traction out of them. THe tires are already glued, my original one wasn't glued.

Fuel tank is still hanging off the side. That's just plain stupid.

New radio box is very roomy, the cover is now easy to fit, it's no problem getting everything in, in fact it's big enough that a 5 cell hump pack slides around in it and needs foam to hold it in place. There is a rubber plug on the side for a charge jack.

New body also looks great. Mine is the red one, it looks racy, and sits low on the chassis. It's got a lot of dark colors in it, and with those along with the gunmetal chassis, black shocks and springs really makes it look great.

The diffs look easy to pull out.

The new A-arms still look nice and strong, I was afraid they'd be flimsy after reading that they'd been lightened.

It's night, and very cold, but we both fired our trucks up and ran a tank through them idling for the first step of break in. They both started easily, and ran with no problems. Pipe is pretty noisy, but oh well.

I'm planning on keeping it mostly stock, as my old one got less fun the more money I put into it. The only changes I'm planning is swapping the steering servo, it's pretty weak, can't turn the wheels on a hardwood floor, and putting a reverse kit on it. I'll also probably put a better radio on, but I'll wait and see if this one works well or not. This is a basher, and won't be raced, so if the radio ends up working well, I'll keep it.

In all, I'm impressed. It's a nice truck. A big improvement over the original.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:50 PM
mmduc

yes i think its isolated to just this truck all my other hpi products have been great
Old 02-17-2006, 01:16 PM
doesgo

That's not very nice, ncrego! Now I really, really, really want an X!!!! Oh well, I'll have to settle for putting the quick-access diffs, the tranny, the radio box, and roll hoop on my comparitively-ancient Savage 21.
Old 02-17-2006, 01:24 PM
ashburg

Ok, thanks mmduc...Whew, I was worried about the carb out of the box for a minute there.

ncrego...awesome post...I read the whole thing and actually read that other post of yours when I was researching the Savage X.

Question: What is it about the old differentials and "center transmission" that NEEDed to be serviced? What am I servicing here - stipped gears, shims, shafts or?

GREAT to hear about the "nice steering servo saver" - this is my biggest complaint about the [link=http://warhead.ashburg.com]Warhead[/link].

Bashing is good ya!! Can't wait...I should have mine on my doorstep tomorrow.

The Savage X is going to out-do all previous Savages - am I wrong? If I plop a Collari .32 in there, what else might I need to upgrade to make it just b-b-b-bbbbbbAD to the bone?
Old 02-17-2006, 01:34 PM
doesgo

Ashburg, the Collari .32 is a 3-port engine which, along with its displacement, implies it's a low-end engine. I've read, however, that people are experiencing very strong mid-range and high-rpm scoot as well, so I'm not sure how to classify this engine. At SlapMaFro we've got one in a Savage, but it's been so cold (-8F right now...and it's noon) we haven't gotten a chance to get past the break-in stage. Can't wait to find out, though!
Old 02-17-2006, 01:39 PM
doesgo

I've had my Savage for over three years and have NEVER even opened up the tranny! I broke one tooth of a ring gear once....I think that's it for my diffs and tranny in all this time. Sometimes the diff bearings wear out, I guess, and if you don't catch that your ring and pinion can become damaged because the mesh is gone.

Not too many "must-haves" for bad-ass-ness, but you should pick up a 3x2 hump pack, an on-off switch with charging jack, and consider a stronger steering servo. Other than that....you should be good to go!
Old 02-17-2006, 01:43 PM
ashburg

negative 8!??! Holy cow man how do you deal with that LOL...I would love to have some snow down here in South Carolina, but I don't think Myrtle Beach's tourism would do so well

I asked this guy on ebay that was selling his stock Savage X motor what he replaced it with and he said Collari .32 - said he had another Savage with TWIN collari .32's in it! Sounds like my kinda trUck!

I bet there's a kit to do twin engines for the Savage X ay.

ORIGINAL: doesgo

Ashburg, the Collari .32 is a 3-port engine which, along with its displacement, implies it's a low-end engine. I've read, however, that people are experiencing very strong mid-range and high-rpm scoot as well, so I'm not sure how to classify this engine. At SlapMaFro we've got one in a Savage, but it's been so cold (-8F right now...and it's noon) we haven't gotten a chance to get past the break-in stage. Can't wait to find out, though!
Old 02-17-2006, 02:08 PM
mosavage

just got my collari 32 runnin is my le and its just uncontrollable fast. u tap the throttle and it will flip on its lid
Old 02-17-2006, 02:30 PM
ncrego
My Feedback: (40)

Question: What is it about the old differentials and "center transmission" that NEEDed to be serviced? What am I servicing here - stipped gears, shims, shafts or?
Nothing in particular, my old Savage was very tough. I do a lot of preventative maintenance on my stuff, probably due to my experience with helis. On a truck, I pull the trans and diffs apart every few months just to make sure everything is right. Kinda like I change the shock oils out periodically as well. Do I have to do this stuff to a Savage? Probably not, I'm willing to bet there are guys out there who have been running their for years and have never done a thing other than put fuel in it and change the batteries. The difference is, my equipment looks and functions like new years down the road.
Old 02-17-2006, 05:39 PM
J_ME65

I'm half way tempted to get a collari for my warhead, I think the X will run fine on it's own for now. I wouldn't be able to get either one out now though, just checked the temp on the computer and here right now it's 27 below. I think it was between 10 and 15 below without the wind chill though. When we gonna start seein any pics or vids of everyones new X?
Old 02-17-2006, 07:11 PM
Bill Plude

Well another story from the old guy. The wife and I were just down at my RC guys and he got in 2 Xs this afternoon. There was 1 sitting in a box on the counter and I asked if was for me . Figured I'd have pne in a couple weeks. I got the spur gear I needed for my Revo (son blew it wheelieing on grass and dragging the wing yesterday) and we left. When we got back to town we stopped at the grocery store. While we were at the store picking up a couple things for supper I grabbed 2 Caesars Palace $5 lottery tickets (you M*******s know what they are). I said to her when she got in the car, "watch, I'll be going back to get one of those new trucks tonight, I feel a $500 winner".

Guess where I'm heading!!!!!!!!!!! Pics in a couple hours guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YEAH!!!!!!!!
Old 02-17-2006, 09:21 PM
Bill Plude

I'm back. Made a couple extra purchases with the extra $$. Got an Orion 1400mAH hump pack, a charge cord and a Venom Fail Safe. It's all installed and on the charger now. Weather permitting, break-in tomorrow morning. It's on the same channel as the Hellfire. Makes it easy. I suppose I should plan on picking up 2 or 3 FM radios, I'll need more channels for all the trucks I have when other people come with theirs and they have AM. No problem 30 FM channels to choose from.......
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48587.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	410271  
Old 02-17-2006, 09:34 PM
doesgo

Looks awesome! Love the new lowered body style. Have fun!
Old 02-17-2006, 11:46 PM
:Green:

How bout changing spurs, the new trans housing make it nicer?
Old 02-17-2006, 11:57 PM
:Green:

/\....Question: What is it about the old differentials and "center transmission" that NEEDed to be serviced? What am I servicing here - stipped gears, shims, shafts or?
[/quote]

dont mind me Im tired..
Old 02-18-2006, 12:17 AM
ccs77

YOU LUCKY SOB!!!

Have fun with it buddy!
Old 02-18-2006, 07:43 AM
ashburg

Nice truck Mr. Bill! That's awesome that you got one too!!
Enjoy
ash

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.