Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Anyone Own a Savage X?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 11:49 AM
pep04r1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anyone Own a Savage X?

I have a savage 25. while jumping I had broke the case. Shopping around for the crank and case, I was unable to to find one.. So I had purchased the 4.6 crank and cases. Put the head, piston, connecting rod, also the carb of the 25 on the 4.6, And this thing runs great. 18t cluch bell and it just about pull the wheels off the ground. Totaly suprised. The major part of the two cases is the port job on the intake side under the carb. Total smooth not square lookig, Just an FYI.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:14 PM
ashburg

~225 or so

ORIGINAL: muttracer_61

ashburg what temp are you running on you surefire?
Old 03-17-2007, 05:58 AM
muttracer_61

i told the hobby shop iwanted it in the 250 range so i hope that will work.
Old 03-17-2007, 09:40 PM
Joebaby35
My Feedback: (14)

Well I finally got my Savage back together and had to try it out in the snow today. The snow was no match for the Savage.

"THIS THING GOES THROUGH OR OVER ANYTHING!!!!"

I probably used a quart of fuel today trying to tune the 25s engine to pull wheelies but I cannot get this truck to pull the front wheels off the ground. I replace the pipe with a racing pipe and installed aluminum clutch shoes. It does have great top speed but no bottom end grunt. I am currently running a 15t CB and 49t SG with the stock 25s engine which has great compression. I checked for leaks in the engine when I had the truck apart but everything is good. I guess I got a lemmon engine.

I just installed a new X 2-speed gear box and it shifted way too soon. Is this the way HPI ships out their trucks to shhift so soon?? I adjusted the shift point to shift later and it was much better.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:17 AM
ashburg

I've had to adjust both transmissions I've had for my Savage - out of the factory, IMO, they shift too soon. This sounds like the reason why you can't pull up the front end, but I'd check that LSN too and perhaps lean it out - do the pinch test. If you have to lean it out, the idle will increase - adjust the idle with the idle speed screw.

ORIGINAL: Joebaby35

Well I finally got my Savage back together and had to try it out in the snow today. The snow was no match for the Savage.

"THIS THING GOES THROUGH OR OVER ANYTHING!!!!"

I probably used a quart of fuel today trying to tune the 25s engine to pull wheelies but I cannot get this truck to pull the front wheels off the ground. I replace the pipe with a racing pipe and installed aluminum clutch shoes. It does have great top speed but no bottom end grunt. I am currently running a 15t CB and 49t SG with the stock 25s engine which has great compression. I checked for leaks in the engine when I had the truck apart but everything is good. I guess I got a lemmon engine.

I just installed a new X 2-speed gear box and it shifted way too soon. Is this the way HPI ships out their trucks to shhift so soon?? I adjusted the shift point to shift later and it was much better.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:57 PM
muttracer_61

i know this isnt a losi forum but if i but my savage pipe on my aftershock think it will help it at all?if so low end or bottom end? it is the stock x pipe
Old 03-18-2007, 09:02 PM
-SAVAGE-

i think it would decrease the performance.
try it out for yourself and see what you think[8D]

-SAVAGE-
Old 03-18-2007, 09:12 PM
muttracer_61

well itried it today i think it helped on both ends of the scale it seems to be a little more free flowing and ran much better then it ever did so i think it helped a little. but thanks for the info savage
Old 03-18-2007, 09:14 PM
ashburg

I wonder if an aluminum 16oz beverage bottle would work [&:]
Old 03-18-2007, 09:18 PM
-SAVAGE-

that would be pretty loud don't you think? it wouldent be tuned or any thing so my guess is it would suck.

-SAVAGE-
Old 03-18-2007, 10:52 PM
munro300

Does anyone know if this radio set-up would work on the savage X, and would it be an improvement over the stock tx and rx, servos?
http://www.greathobbies.com/productinfo/?prod_id=FUT2PL
mine quitt working today and I dont know why, if I put the antenna on the tx on the rx antenna the servos move other than that nothing at all. It moves when you first turn it on for a milisecond like it always did but nothing from the transmitter, new batteries in both. I cant figure out why it just quitt while I was running it, the motor kept running but no steering and no throttle it just slowed down and sat there idleing. Does this sound like the reciever or transmitter is screwed?
Old 03-18-2007, 11:25 PM
NitroMedic
My Feedback: (7)

Hey guys,

I just wanted to share my weekend experience while myself & 3 other guys were doin' a little backyard bashin' on my track. I hadn't even got the motor up to temp (about 30 sec. of runtime) when the front tires started screamin' with RPM as they ballooned like crazy. Yep, I blew my rear diffs out. Oh well, I already have 2 complete new sets on the way, thanks to good ole' Ebay. Here's a pic for your viewing pleasure. [>:]

Thanks,
Shayne
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk27994.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	645051  
Old 03-18-2007, 11:27 PM
jcam54

I run this one it is better--FM and more adjustments and 3 channels

http://www.greathobbies.com/producti...d_id=FUT3PMF27
Old 03-19-2007, 02:30 AM
Joebaby35
My Feedback: (14)

Was the the 6 gear diff setup or the 4 gear setup???

What engine are you running???

ORIGINAL: NitroMedic

Hey guys,

I just wanted to share my weekend experience while myself & 3 other guys were doin' a little backyard bashin' on my track. I hadn't even got the motor up to temp (about 30 sec. of runtime) when the front tires started screamin' with RPM as they ballooned like crazy. Yep, I blew my rear diffs out. Oh well, I already have 2 complete new sets on the way, thanks to good ole' Ebay. Here's a pic for your viewing pleasure. [>:]

Thanks,
Shayne
Old 03-19-2007, 06:03 AM
Sleg8

@NitroMedic - I know exactly how you feel. Finally got my engine running well and laying down some good power then click,click,click... Front wheels bagging up like crazy. Rear diff blown. Bugger. I'm only on like the 10th tank. What do you all recommend? Shimmed standard diffs or heavy duty diffs??

PS - HPI have locktited the four screws that hold the diff together with what must be red locktite. I cant get two of them out? Anyone else have this problem and a solution? Thanks.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:39 AM
NitroMedic

Hey Joe!

I was running 6 gear diffs. I have the 4.1 stock motor. I think one of my problems is that I REALLY like jumping the Savage and I developed a "timebomb waiting to go off" affect. You jump 100 times or so....get a couple gallons down and "BOOM", your rear diffs are blown out for what appears to be no apparent reason.

Thanks for reading,
Shayne

I've since ordered the upgraded X SS diffs that everyone is recommending. A budy of mine has them and he's had absolutely no problems at all.
ORIGINAL: Joebaby35

Was the the 6 gear diff setup or the 4 gear setup???

What engine are you running???

ORIGINAL: NitroMedic

Hey guys,

Thanks,
Shayne
Old 03-19-2007, 09:48 AM
NitroMedic

Hey Sleg!

I know, bro....it kinda sucks. However, the remedy (from whay I'm hearing) is to purchase the upgraded X SS hardened steel diffs all around. I just ordered 2 sets on Ebay for a total of $72.00 w/shipping.

On the loctite situation....I had the exact same problem just yesterday. Basically, I took a rubber mallet and tapped the spur gear (the one with the 4 loctite screws) all around. This seemed to make it a little easier to break loose. You need to hold on to the diffs tightly in your hand with a papertowel as you tap it with the mallet. Good luck!

Shayne
ORIGINAL: Sleg8

@NitroMedic - I know exactly how you feel. Finally got my engine running well and laying down some good power then click,click,click... Front wheels bagging up like crazy. Rear diff blown. Bugger. I'm only on like the 10th tank. What do you all recommend? Shimmed standard diffs or heavy duty diffs??

PS - HPI have locktited the four screws that hold the diff together with what must be red locktite. I cant get two of them out? Anyone else have this problem and a solution? Thanks.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:21 PM
Sleg8

Thanks NitroMedic. I'll get some of the X SS diffs. Rubber mallett. Hmmmm. I'll try this. Thanks
Old 03-19-2007, 03:56 PM
pyrodon

Hey guys i need a little help i cant get my clutch bell off its a stock set up i never took it off before. its a savage x ss motor
Old 03-19-2007, 03:58 PM
BicketyBam

Can you not get the screw out?
Old 03-19-2007, 04:29 PM
Vigilante212

Put the diff in some boiling water the heat will loosen the loctite.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:57 PM
ashburg

sounds like you've worn the clutch bell some grooves in it that are holding it on the clutch shoes. Pull the bell hard enough to snap the clutch springs over the clutch nut I guess.

ORIGINAL: pyrodon

Hey guys i need a little help i cant get my clutch bell off its a stock set up i never took it off before. its a savage x ss motor
Old 03-19-2007, 07:47 PM
pyrodon

I just fixed my clutch I have been running my savage in the snow and it rusted it so I had to spray it with some nitro cleaner to get it off
Old 03-20-2007, 09:47 PM
Friday31661

i had to take channel locks and vise grips to mine to get it off. One on the flywheel and one on the screw. That was the only way to get mine to move. Just make sure you use a rad over the flywheel before you use the vise grips or channel locks.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:33 PM
Vigilante212

SOB managed to mess up my pullstart again. I think im going to order a replacement one since I know I twisted the hardened spring end last time i put it back together. I really have to remember to prime the line by blowing into the return hose this pullstarting method doesnt help the pull starter any thats for sure. At least I know how it goes back together should only take me half an hour if thats the only thing wrong.

Also is it just me or is the savage x-ss front heavy it seems every time I jump and let off the gas the front end goes down and I know my brakes arent dragging. It was a disapointing day of bashing forgot to charge my glow plug igniter so I had to keep it running on the first go or I had to wait 10 minutes to retry. I tuned the idle up a bit and I had to turn the HSN down beacause it was running a tad warm. Good for knowing how it will run in the summer though since it was 75 today.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.