Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Anyone Own a Savage X?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 08:44 AM
Bill Plude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anyone Own a Savage X?

It is nice for $5 but I wonder how much I spent in losers to get it. LOL. All set to break it in but its windy and cold out there with some snow. The picture shows all the breaking in I got done this morning. It does look cool with the tire tracks though. I GOTTA get all my trucks out for a "Family" picture.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84314.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	410463  
Old 02-18-2006, 09:58 AM
ashburg

cooool....say, what is that white stuff . 55 degrees here now and humid...can't seem to get it tuned right this morning. ttyl, ash
Old 02-18-2006, 10:15 AM
spv1425

Well if I hit the powerball tonight, everyone I've talked to gets a savage and a Colari engine . I feel 365Million coming on. Glad you were able to get an X Bill, look forward to running the Warheads/SavageX's in person with you sometime this spring.
Old 02-18-2006, 10:24 AM
Bill Plude

UMMMM 55 South Carolina. I was there once, right outside a town called Beaufort. It was June, July & August 1966 hotter than hell. We weren't allowed to wear shorts back then, being toughened up to go where it was even hotter than SC. You know now that I think about it, I don't think I liked your state very much! LOL. Couple new pics. Does anybody remember having to take rolls of film to have it developed? I kind of miss my 35mm cameras and the $100s spent on processing pics that didn't come out, just to have 2 or 3 publishable.

Name:	Jh17167.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	410508   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43540.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	410509  
Old 02-18-2006, 11:02 AM
Bill Plude

You are all welcome anytime. All at once, one at a time bring youe families if you want. We don't have a kids (kids are all over 21 but we have 11 grandkids)but I don't mind having them around. I hope you guys don't mind that I don't do a lot of hamburgers and hot dogs when I cook out. Those are for weekday quick suppers and lunches. I like to smoke turkey breasts and boneless pork loin in the smoker for about 6-7 hours, Cook up some Johnsonville Cheddar Brats and Sausages on one grille while I got the boneless country style ribs, cooked with Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce(already falling apart done) in one of the heated chafing pans. The big grill is for different flavor marinated boneless chicken breast strips and burgers if anybody wants any. Peppers and onions on the side burner. Corn on the cob in the deep cooker. I have 1 6' table the holds 4 of those aluminum disposable chafing pans. Usually one for ribs, 1 for meatballs (swedish or italian), 2 for potato and macaroni salads. Heat under the meats, ice under the salads. I take pride in being able to say that no one has ever gotten sick from eating at one of my cookouts! Is it Spring yet? MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

The 1st pic is the wife sitting under the 3 canopies in the driveway. The second and 3rd are the 2 pictures I took before that one (my 1st RC vehicle, my original TMAXX) the 4th pic was taken the next day, my 1st repair 2 front bulkheads from a head on with a cement fondation! LOL. Notice the 1st upgrade was aluminum bulkheads

Name:	By76295.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	410533   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38134.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	410534   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36200.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	410535   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wc77431.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	410536  
Old 02-18-2006, 12:01 PM
ccs77

Dayum brother that's a Kansas City style Layout right there! If we could squish the east coast a little closer to the MW I'd be in like Flynn!
Old 02-18-2006, 05:30 PM
J_ME65

I got family down in excelsior springs and thats the way all their cookouts go. You guy's think we'll be able to get everyone else that has a warhead to come over to the X.

Have you been able to play with it any more yet (THE TRUCK), or still waiting?
Old 02-18-2006, 10:10 PM
xXJustin_SaneXx

I adopted a big brother for my MT2 SS. It's rainy/snowy/crappy here today so all that I've managed to do is take it out of the box. (notice the caution tag). Can't wait till the weather breaks.

For now I'm enjoying it in all of it's newness.

E~

Name:	Jh15799.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	410870   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92122.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	410871  
Old 02-18-2006, 10:36 PM
Bill Plude

This is the 2nd time I had to do this post!!!!!!! Seems the site had to go down as I was posting last time. I hate when that happens.

I was down at my RC guys again today and my tranny is in a gazillion parts, waiting for replacement parts. While I was there we were talking about this
http://www.ofna.com/teamjammin/kits-x1crt-rtr.html
He said he wants to get one soooooooooo since I don't HAVE to buy a SavageX when Uncle Sam opens his wallet on the 1st and if it's good enough for my RC guy............... I had him order me one too. He can get them for $529. This way when any of you guys come by and if you should break your trucks, there will be spares for you to use until we can get to my RC guys so you can get the parts you need. I'm sure a trip to his store will also be a highlight for any of you that don't have a good RC store in your area. It isn't big but it's loaded. In fact while I was there today, a couple guy came down from way upstate NY for some stuff for their TMAXXes 40 series Bowties for one with Velocity wheels. They said there are a couple stores closer but one doesn't have poopie(not an exact quote) for parts and the other is run by a dork (not exact either). They traveled a little over an hour and a half. You should have seen them when I had them look in the back of my car and the HPI brothers were sitting in there
I'm freezing my marbles off (not exact size) power was off 4 & 1/2 hours with 50MPH gusty winds. Of course sitting here in shorts and t shirt isn't showing the most intellegence but thats why they give me the big bucks on the 1st! LOL.
Maybe tomorrow if the weather is 1/4 decent I can get a clip of the X break-in.

Name:	Fd91084.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	410910  
Old 02-18-2006, 11:10 PM
J_ME65

Bill,
What all have you done with the X so far? Does it seem like it's going to be a strong runner? Hopefully we don't start filling this thread like the warhead thread, hunh?
Old 02-18-2006, 11:13 PM
ncrego
My Feedback: (40)

First breakage...

Not on mine, but on my friend's who bought one at the same time as I did.. He was out running the 3rd tank through it in the street in front of his house doing the recommended half throttle circles, and the spur gear shattered. No crash, no hard acceleration, just steady state, and it shattered like glass. Granted, it's cold out (10 deg when it happened), but still. My old Savage was run all winter in NH, and it was at least that cold, with nothing like this happening. Best part is, the old spurs don't fit, and the new ones aren't available yet. He's going to come over tomorrow and I'm going to see what I can do to get the old style gear to work, hopefully I can come up with something that doesn't involve putting the old style slipper on.
Old 02-18-2006, 11:39 PM
Bill Plude

Haven't even cranked it over yet. Too windy out there this morning, all day as a matter of fact. If I blow a spur gear because of the cold and have to wait, I still have the Hellfire to wait with. A spur gear should be the worst of the worries in the "other" forum with the other truck. I don't do those recommended break in things anyway. I like the other way.
http://www.johnnycoolguy.com/JCGR/ma..._break-in.html
Always worked for me.
Old 02-19-2006, 12:01 AM
Bill Plude

Don't laugh, but you might want to try the WarHead 49 tooth spur gear. My RC guy thinks I'll be able to use Savage X spur gears on the WarHead. It may work the other way. I don't have my WarHead here, why don't one of you guys that have both trucks give it a quick eyeball and see what you think............
Old 02-19-2006, 08:01 AM
quickster47

Ash,

Bought two of these HPI wheelie bars, http://www.hpiracing.com/piw4.php?part=85245. One for my new Savage X I got delivered to me on Saturday and one for my trusty WarHead. Will take some adaptation for the WarHead but hey, that is what the WarHead is all about, our adapting to a different kind of RTR (Ready To Repair).
Old 02-19-2006, 08:12 AM
Bill Plude

It's been so long since I've has possesion of my warHead I've forgotten what it's like underneath. Somebody posted this link over there a while back. I must have liked it because I saved it.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...p?&I=LXF313&P=
Any help with the spur gear compatibility for those guys and any of the rest of us who might need one before they become available in March(SavageX-WarHead)Q-man?
Old 02-19-2006, 08:53 AM
xXJustin_SaneXx

ORIGINAL: Bill Plude

Haven't even cranked it over yet. Too windy out there this morning, all day as a matter of fact. If I blow a spur gear because of the cold and have to wait, I still have the Hellfire to wait with. A spur gear should be the worst of the worries in the "other" forum with the other truck. I don't do those recommended break in things anyway. I like the other way.
http://www.johnnycoolguy.com/JCGR/ma..._break-in.html
Always worked for me. ((((From the very 1st time you start your engine, plop the car on the ground & begin running it in a parking lot in 2-3 minute intervals, tuned only *slightly rich* getting the temps up in the 200F range on a normal day. ))))

Bill,
I was gonna try this method to break in my truck when it warms up a bit. When it says to start it up slightly rich and plop it on the ground...what throttle are they talking about running at for two to three minutes? No worries or complaints about this method? I have to admit I'm a bit traditional when it comes to breaking in an engine but I've read good things about it.

E~
Old 02-19-2006, 09:54 AM
ncrego

I'll have to check out the Warhead gear. Looking at the pictures back to back, they are certainly close, although the hole on the Warhead gear looks larger. I'll definitely look into it. On break in methods, I always follow whatever the manufacturer says. They made the engine, they tested the engine, and most importantly, they warranty the engine, so I figure I should do it their way so I have some recourse if something goes wrong. That being said, the break in method mentioned above is basically what we do in helicopters. First tank you run on the ground, then the next few you do in short hops in the hover, and shooting autorotations. Of course, that's the method that every heli engine I've had recommends, and those engines are ringed, not ABC or ABN like most car engines.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:00 AM
J_ME65

What about the hardened steel gears with the inner hub? Tower shows them as optional parts for this truck. The HPI site says the new inner hub will work, and I'm guessing it's the same one that tower shows. Might want to check it out.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:13 AM
Bill Plude

Good lookin' out J here's what it says
Past Savage parts that will NOT fit on the Savage X:
Alloy Roll Hoop
Spur Gears (hardened steel gears will fit with new inner hub)
"hardened steel gears will fit with new inner hub"
looks like a lot of nice combinations of clutch bell / spur gears available already!!!
Old 02-19-2006, 11:24 AM
xXJustin_SaneXx

ORIGINAL: ncrego

On break in methods, I always follow whatever the manufacturer says. They made the engine, they tested the engine, and most importantly, they warranty the engine, so I figure I should do it their way so I have some recourse if something goes wrong.

Good point...[sm=wink.gif]
Old 02-19-2006, 11:42 AM
ncrego

I saw that, if I can't get the older one to work for him today, we'll go pick up a steel one.

Oops, just checked the price, for $35, I think we'll wait,or try a warhead gear.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:58 AM
Bill Plude

Got the initial run done ran it for about 5 minutes.Nice and slow no strain on it. Only strain was on me...COLD, by the time I got it started, 3 or 4 circuit breaker pops (dam tight new motors and no glow plug wrench in the car to loosen it a bit, DUH!) my fingers were numb. When they started to burn it was time to stop. LOL. Gloves? Waaaa, tough guys don't need no stinkin' gloves! OK they were at home in the kitchen double DUH! Gotta admit it looks cool. Well 1st one that the body looks like it belongs on the chassis that it's on. If I look at the other 1/8 truck I have the stock body looks like a 1/10 body on a 1/8 chassis.
Old 02-19-2006, 12:31 PM
ncrego

Got the initial run done ran it for about 5 minutes.Nice and slow no strain on it. Only strain was on me...COLD, by the time I got it started, 3 or 4 circuit breaker pops (dam tight new motors and no glow plug wrench in the car to loosen it a bit, DUH!) my fingers were numb. When they started to burn it was time to stop.
You gotta start doing it like I do, put it outside, start it and run back inside and watch TV while it runs, put it close enough that you can hear the engine. Go check it every 5 minutes or so. Then you don't freeze!
Old 02-19-2006, 01:08 PM
ccs77

ORIGINAL: ncrego

Got the initial run done ran it for about 5 minutes.Nice and slow no strain on it. Only strain was on me...COLD, by the time I got it started, 3 or 4 circuit breaker pops (dam tight new motors and no glow plug wrench in the car to loosen it a bit, DUH!) my fingers were numb. When they started to burn it was time to stop.
You gotta start doing it like I do, put it outside, start it and run back inside and watch TV while it runs, put it close enough that you can hear the engine. Go check it every 5 minutes or so. Then you don't freeze!

+1
Old 02-19-2006, 01:57 PM
mosavage

any vidz

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.