Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > HPI Monster Truck Forum
Reload this Page >

I want the best competition motor out there

Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

I want the best competition motor out there

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 12:11 PM
2115Rg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want the best competition motor out there

Some one said the racer edge sure fire .32 put out 3.6 hp would that smoke my brother's sirio.27 9 port big block, if not what would? take suggestion before replacing my stock hpi .25 motor
Old 03-10-2006, 12:27 PM
A.B.U

Default RE: I want the best competition motor out there

Novarossi .28. Pumps out 2.8HP when it was actually dyno'ed.
Old 03-10-2006, 01:01 PM
miswa

if i have the money, i'd buy the .28 by novarossi. power isn't everything. you can have .46 engine with all the hp you want but wont perform as well as smaller engines when it comes to racing. its like a sumo wrestler verses a sprinter. it all depends on what you wana do
Old 03-10-2006, 01:08 PM
2115Rg

i am looking for performace thanks for the info.
Old 03-10-2006, 01:10 PM
2115Rg

do you have one? are you satisfied with it?
Old 03-10-2006, 01:16 PM
miswa

if your bashing and racing, id recommend the os 30 vg. very reliable. you see, some engines that have higher torque usually heve slower rpm. high torque engines are good for bashing, smaller screamin high rpm engines are the best for racing.
Old 03-10-2006, 05:15 PM
TireDr

I have the SureFire .32 in my Savage LE and it is insane. Lots of power. You could have all the power but when racing ...other factors come into play. Just my 0.02

TireDr
Old 03-10-2006, 08:34 PM
SmoothInc

Hey TireDr how do you like your Surefire .32 cuz thats what i was thinking of puting in my Savage? Is it a good engine and how well does it get off the line and top end? Is it faster than the stock .25 engine and if it is by how much do you think? Thanks
Old 03-10-2006, 08:38 PM
jnewby54

Guys, you are forgeting the Italian beauties......
Let us not overlook the Picco 27 which I have experience with and soon to have Picco 28. (as soon as the LHS gets them in)
You can go for the bigger motor all day long but I will leave you with this...
You don't see professional race car drivers hopping up Chevy 454's "because they are bigger"
They always tweak the 350's because they produce much more power!

Justin
Old 03-10-2006, 09:12 PM
TireDr

I love it!!! I would have to say it is one of the best out there. It is so easy to start also.

As far as getting off the line?....can you say backflip? I have not touched the LSN because it is just fine the way it is from the factory.
I was considering a wheelie bar but I am getting use to the wheelies.

Top end can get pretty nasty. Just for some fun I ran a 19/47 setup with the SureFire and I thought the truck was going to break apart. It was just too fast. I run a racing 16T CB and a 47T spur now and it is perfect for me. I have lots of torque and pretty good top end. But I love the torque!!! I keep the temps around 250 which is good for me. I had it at 280 and it would just wheelie all the time but ran like a champ.

It's a little faster than the stock I suppose but when it's tuned properly....LOOK OUT!!! It pretty much depends on what you want.

Let's just say that when my Savage was stock, I ran it on the weekends. I put in the SureFire 32 and I run it everyday!! Too much fun!

It also comes with 2 restrictors (8,8.5). All I can say is....you will not be disappointed!!

Hope this helps...good luck!

TireDr
Old 03-10-2006, 09:36 PM
Wizz Kid

you cant have an engine size more than .28 for racing legally
Old 03-10-2006, 11:52 PM
SmoothInc

Im not lookin to race an MT
Old 03-11-2006, 12:39 AM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jnewby54

Guys, you are forgeting the Italian beauties......
Let us not overlook the Picco 27 which I have experience with and soon to have Picco 28. (as soon as the LHS gets them in)
You can go for the bigger motor all day long but I will leave you with this...
You don't see professional race car drivers hopping up Chevy 454's "because they are bigger"
They always tweak the 350's because they produce much more power!

Justin

okay buddy quit talking about real cars and racing as you have no clue.....a bigger engine is not always better, but a good big motor will wipe the floor with a good little motor, there is no replacement for displacement, any pro racer running a 350 over a 454 is only doing so because the regulations restrict displacement to 350, or the car cannot handle the weight of the big block.......either way a built 454 will make tons more power then a built 350......also a big motor will rev alot faster as it has more power under the curve...a small screamer is better for racing as its easier to control......I get a laugh out of the theories some of you kids come up with.....remember there is no replacement for displacement, end of story....if a 28 wasn't faster then a 21 they why would limit buggies to 21, and MT's to a 28 ?......as well having the most powerful motor will likely hurt lap times over a a moderate motor....my bet is that a mach 26 will win alot more track races then a Novarossi 28......guys who think race motors are more powerful dont know ****, race motors are designed to have a linear useable powerband.....if all out power was the goal run a onroad motor instead of offroad...onroad has alot more useable traction then offroad and hence they design for more power over linear power curve........any top quality offroad racing motor is not designed to win drag races, its designed to have a tractable power curve and tolerance to overheating...............a bashing motor is designed for all out power and tourque.......You cant win many races if your truck is wheelying out of control every time you touch the trigger. I laugh my ass off at guys going to race for the first time and asking on here which is the most powerful motor they can buy, yes you'll impress everyone with the big name brand, but you'll get laughed off the track as your truck flies uncontrably over every barrier as the front wheels never touch the ground............Bashing needs as much power as possible, racing needs traction and control
Old 03-11-2006, 03:40 AM
TireDr

I did not know that and I appreciate the info but I do not race. I bought this motor for one reason....to have all out torque and power for my MT.

TireDr
Old 03-11-2006, 04:33 AM
2115Rg

Sure fire sounds like you could have some bashing fun !
Old 03-11-2006, 04:35 AM
2115Rg

Sure fire sounds like you could have some bashing fun ! I more for bashing then mt
Old 03-11-2006, 07:53 AM
mbxrb75
My Feedback: (7)

the new lrp .28 spec2 which is the same as the sh.28 pro is one of the more powerful motors you can get for the money.These two motors will rip any truck apart,they have so much power for the price.
Old 03-11-2006, 10:20 AM
EG1

The Rossi .28 is still king, a modded one must be sweet.
Old 03-11-2006, 12:11 PM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: EG1

The Rossi .28 is still king, a modded one must be sweet.

yes the Rosi makes the most power, but its completely useless on a race track.....maybe for drag racing and bragging rights, but other then that its not a racing motor......certainly not well suited for circuit racing, where the average speed is 12 mph..........but for a guy looking for the biggest and baddest thats the motor of choice LOL

I am just kidding around, but a XTM 24/7 pro is all that is needed for racing, anything faster serves to stoke your ego more then improving lap times....
Old 03-11-2006, 07:16 PM
Chronic

In a full-on race prepped truggy a rossi 8 port(modded or not) is sooooo sweet, but in a MT it's almost always overkill from what I've seen. I'm scared that the LRP spec2 is going to be overkill in my Savage, I can't imagine a modded rossi 8 port .28
Old 03-11-2006, 08:54 PM
the dog

ive been lookin for a replacement for my hpi 4.6 and i think ill go with the novarossi. ive read all i can on alot of these and it still seems that it produces more real power than any other .28.
i dont want any bigger cause i dont feel like replacing drive train parts all the time.
Old 03-11-2006, 10:51 PM
TireDr

I also was concerned about breaking parts with the SureFire but I have been running the Savage everyday for about 3 weeks. I run about 2 hours a day and have not replaced anything yet.

Knock on wood

TireDr
Old 03-12-2006, 02:02 AM
SmoothInc

Hey TireDr do you have the stock outdrive cups and dogbones or are they the heavy duty ones?
Old 03-12-2006, 05:46 AM
TireDr

Everything is stock except fot the clutch shoes, flywheel, motor,and radio. The only thing that I see that needs attention is that tires have become unglued and need to be done again.

TireDr
Old 03-12-2006, 11:07 AM
SmoothInc

Thanks for the info

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.