Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Is the savage x better then revo 3.3?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 02:14 PM
bam.bam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Is the savage x better then revo 3.3?

ORIGINAL: cruiserx

....jumping over house's?? yes the savage is better at that...lol..

Hey, who has that video? I saw it once.

Anyone?
Old 04-22-2006, 01:33 AM
cruiserx

ORIGINAL: dracy69

the savage has 152mm of movement which is 6", the revo has a max of 120 which is a little less then 5"...........spacers DO NOT make a difference in movement, just spring tension.
dracy69,,its obvious that you have'nt been around a revo very much..i have both..i live near a lake that has some rock bed areas..i like to go rock crawling sometimes..the savage shock itself has 125mm of maxx travel..sorry i should have said what i meant....anyway hpi claims a maxx travel of 152 mm..which if you lift the tire off the ground one at a time you'll get close to that..lifting straight up only....when i take my savage 25 and revo with the LT rockers and go over some rocks the savage will leave you with 3 wheels on the ground sometimes..and the suspension is maxxed out..going over the same rocks with the revo and it always has all 4 tires on the ground..the savage does'nt have the articulation that the revo has..not near it....yes hpi claims 152 mm of travel on the savage and in one direction it almost has that..but the revo with only "120mm" of travel is way more articulate with it's travel so in the real world i think it has more suspension travel...that is what a suspension is suspose to do...keep all 4 tires on the ground...and yes you can put enough spacers in a shock spring and the spring will sometimes compress all the way before a shock will bottom out...like when you put more spacers in to raise the ride height..which of couse is a major advantage with the revo...you can change the ride height with out altering the spring rate...NO SPACERS...and almost zero bump steer....the savage has probably the most bump steer of any truck.....the savage has great suspension travel that was made for xstreme jumps..and it jumps great..but when it comes to anything else the superior articulation of the revo suspension is vastly better...
Old 04-22-2006, 04:44 AM
harryferg

hi guys got my savageX in febuary does anybody know if the alloy hop ups from the savge range fit thanx.harry
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40198.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	449325   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78579.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	449326   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46636.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	449327  
Old 04-22-2006, 12:29 PM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So a Revo can't take the huge jumps as well ? See I was considering getting a 3.3 and dropping in a big block, but we only bash, and run at abandoned gravel pits, we usualy hit huge air, as well a the odd rock...The Savage holds up very well but I though a Revo would be faster and jump over the dunes better.
Old 04-22-2006, 03:59 PM
cruiserx

ORIGINAL: supertib

So a Revo can't take the huge jumps as well ? See I was considering getting a 3.3 and dropping in a big block, but we only bash, and run at abandoned gravel pits, we usualy hit huge air, as well a the odd rock...The Savage holds up very well but I though a Revo would be faster and jump over the dunes better.
yes the revo can take jumps very well..it is a little lighter than a savage so on impact it's easier on it's a arms..the bulk heads on the revo are just as strong as the savage...the a-arms on the stock revo are a little weaker than the savage's..the factory springs on the revo are a little to soft...it comes with stiffer springs in the kit...put those on with the 90mm rockers,,which it has installed already,,,and it will jump fantastic..i doughht you will need a bigblock if you get the 3.3..i would just change the gearing a little..gear down some.. and it should have way more than enough hill climbing power to suit your needs..the factory a-arms are pretty strong on the revo..i have had good luck with mine...and yes i do alot of jumping...but if you break them then rpm makes very good ones for it...either truck will suit your needs...its just a matter of which one you like the looks of the best...but dont be fooled,,the revo is a serious basher..it is built very well..high quaility hex hardware and fit and finish from the factory that is second to no one..
Old 04-22-2006, 05:58 PM
pulse213

I can't argue with the revo's jumping good,almost as good as the savage. We bash our 2 savages with revo's a lot,and at the end of the day the savages are usually the only trucks still running with the exception of one. We do have one revo out there with a ton of mods done to it (including the rpm arms),and that truck can really take a beating.
Old 04-22-2006, 09:58 PM
supertib

nope the 3.3 wont be nearly enough power...i am used to running much better engines.....After you run a good big block no smallblock will be adequate....The 3.3 dynoed at .93 HP and the Axial 32 1.68....As well the Axial has alot more tourque....I will run the SH 28 P6, which has more tourque and HP then the Axial....So to me a 3.3 will be a waste of time IMO...
Old 04-22-2006, 10:24 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: mosavage

the revo can prolly bash as hard as the savage
Actually, yes it can. it's just more of a pain in the ass when it comes time to repair it
Old 04-23-2006, 02:13 AM
cruiserx

nope the 3.3 wont be nearly enough power...i am used to running much better engines.....After you run a good big block no smallblock will be adequate....The 3.3 dynoed at .93 HP and the Axial 32 1.68....As well the Axial has alot more tourque....I will run the SH 28 P6, which has more tourque and HP then the Axial....So to me a 3.3 will be a waste of time IMO...
i use to say the same thing..when i first bought my savage 25 and put on the motor saver air filter and duel chamber aluminum pipe and changed the gearing alittle for more low end power,,my wife wanted a new black t-maxx,,,,i said ok..it wont be to fast and mayby she can bash with it and not lose control like she does with my savage 25..well it turns out that the stock 2.5 t-maxx has more power from top to bottom than my bigblock savage truck..it doesnt have the horsepower rating or the torque rating as the nitro star 25 but the trx 2.5 in the t-maxx truck will still out muscle the savage 25 in everything you can think of...with the right gearing i'm sure the trx 3.3 will surprise you....thats all i was saying..
Old 04-23-2006, 02:52 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

for the money, MHO, the Savage X is the best truck available. not as quick/fast as a Revo or T-maxx, but feels a lot better than the other trucks while bashing, MHO, and just feels more "monster truckish"
Old 04-28-2006, 07:04 AM
SavageHoon

the revo can't bash as hard as a Savage.

at the time my savvy RTR25 was 4moths old and on to its second body shell and diffs, A mate (revo new out of the box) and I setup a ramp at the local soccer field and jumped repetitvely. after 3 jumps he broke a rear lower arm on a slightly off balanced landing, we drove my savvy for another few more tanks and over 15 jumps (landing on roof, front bar rear bar, one wheel, front wheels, rear wheels, 4 wheels, engine) and called it a day as his truck was dead. my savvy went home with no fuel in the tank. my mate had a shopping list.

we won't mention the race over medium grass where I left him for dead. His truck was good at taking corners. Since then I have lowered mine about 10mm and he can't keep up in any way. the only thing quicker/better is the revo's starting technique and turning circle.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:49 PM
EZZZROCK

.12 = 2.0 (Touring car base)
.15 =2.5 (Traxxas 2.5 engines)
.18 = 3.0 (18ss Outlaw)
.20 = 3.3 (Traxxas new bigger 3.3 engine)
.21 = 3.4 (Original Savage .21)
.25 = 4.1 (Popular Savage RTR .25)
.26 = 4.27 (Mach .26 also known as new Mach 427)
.27 = 4.4 (Popular Picco upgrade size)
.28 = 4.6 (Nitro Star K46 in Savage SS kit)
.30 = 4.9
.32 = 5.2
.15 is a small block
Old 04-29-2006, 01:10 AM
cruiserx

ORIGINAL: SavageHoon

the revo can't bash as hard as a Savage.

at the time my savvy RTR25 was 4moths old and on to its second body shell and diffs, A mate (revo new out of the box) and I setup a ramp at the local soccer field and jumped repetitvely. after 3 jumps he broke a rear lower arm on a slightly off balanced landing, we drove my savvy for another few more tanks and over 15 jumps (landing on roof, front bar rear bar, one wheel, front wheels, rear wheels, 4 wheels, engine) and called it a day as his truck was dead. my savvy went home with no fuel in the tank. my mate had a shopping list.

we won't mention the race over medium grass where I left him for dead. His truck was good at taking corners. Since then I have lowered mine about 10mm and he can't keep up in any way. the only thing quicker/better is the revo's starting technique and turning circle.
must have been a faulty a-arm on the revo..i've broke 2 upright assembly sets and 1 right front bulk head last weekend while bashing my savage...the revo broke nothing on the same day..same punishment...savagehoon they all break a part sometimes..when you bash hard..sometimes you break parts...all monsters will break a part at one point or another...it's an endless debate over whats better..none of these monsters will stand above the other....everyone has differant luck with there trucks..
Old 04-29-2006, 06:48 AM
supertib

Well we just bought a new 3.3 Revo....so I will be running it today and breaking it in....tommorow we take it to the gravel pits to run with the Savages, I will then report if this Revo is really as tough as these Traxxas cheerleaders seem to claim...

The LHS that sold us the truck told us its nowhere near as tough as the Savage, he sells thousands of trucks and races both Savages and Revo's....As well he says the drivetrain will not hold big block power if you run the truck hard...He personally has a 24/7 pro in a Revo and has gone thru about 6 rear differentials as well as a few tranny gears and driveshafts.. He even showed us the broken parts as proof.....Anyways when you read online all the Traxxas boosters claim the Revo is indestructable and the drivetrain is bullet proof, as well apparently it can leap buildings with a single bound and as well can cook breakfast in bed for you as well.

These guys talk up the Revo soo much I know they are mostly exagerating, so be skeptial, talk to the LHS about the trucks and see what they say, they deal with a huge cross section of users..

tommorow we will be launching the Revo off 25 foot cliffs like we do with the Savages, we will see if it really can handle a Savage beating......
Old 04-29-2006, 07:58 AM
tristy

What were you sayin??
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96363.jpg
Views:	1320
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	452428  
Old 04-29-2006, 08:14 AM
SavageHoon

I'm happy for those in denial..

its best to keep the ****ed up ones from driving Savages.
Old 04-30-2006, 01:43 AM
cruiserx

Well we just bought a new 3.3 Revo....so I will be running it today and breaking it in....tommorow we take it to the gravel pits to run with the Savages, I will then report if this Revo is really as tough as these Traxxas cheerleaders seem to claim...

The LHS that sold us the truck told us its nowhere near as tough as the Savage, he sells thousands of trucks and races both Savages and Revo's....As well he says the drivetrain will not hold big block power if you run the truck hard...He personally has a 24/7 pro in a Revo and has gone thru about 6 rear differentials as well as a few tranny gears and driveshafts.. He even showed us the broken parts as proof.....Anyways when you read online all the Traxxas boosters claim the Revo is indestructable and the drivetrain is bullet proof, as well apparently it can leap buildings with a single bound and as well can cook breakfast in bed for you as well.

These guys talk up the Revo soo much I know they are mostly exagerating, so be skeptial, talk to the LHS about the trucks and see what they say, they deal with a huge cross section of users..

tommorow we will be launching the Revo off 25 foot cliffs like we do with the Savages, we will see if it really can handle a Savage beating......
supertib....the savage guys try and pump up the savage like its made from heaven...dont be a hippercrit...the hpi guys are just as bad if not worst when it comes to trashing the other brand...we all know that the savage is the standard when it comes to toughness in hard core bashing...but you guys try and make out that the revo is some kind of crap....its not....and by the way,,the revo was designed for a small block anyway...it only has 2 spider gears in it compared to 4 in the savage...and until hpi did the 4 spider gear set in the savage it was constantly breaking the diffs also!!!! i mean get real dude....i know of a few revos that have a bigblock in them and have never had any diff problems...once again you here of 1 person that has a problem with a traxxas product and asume that they all have a problem...no one said that the revo is bullet proof...what truck is...you need to relax and just enjoy your truck and dont worry about everybody elses truck..if it is pissing you off that people are very happy with there traxxas revo then you need to not read on this forum again....i like my savage 25 and i like my revo...whats the big deal..
Old 04-30-2006, 02:02 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

supertib....the savage guys try and pump up the savage like its made from heaven...dont be a HIPOCRITE...the hpi guys are just as bad if not worse when it comes to trashing the other brand...we all know that the savage is the standard when it comes to toughness in hard core bashing...but you guys try and make out that the revo is some kind of crap....its not....and by the way,,the revo was designed for a small block anyway...it only has 2 spider gears in it compared to 4 in the savage...and until hpi did the 4 spider gear set in the savage it was constantly breaking the diffs also!!!! i mean get real dude....i know of a few revos that have a bigblock in them and have never had any diff problems...once again you HEAR of 1 person that has a problem with a traxxas product and asume that they all have a problem...no one said that the revo is bullet proof...what truck is...you need to relax and just enjoy your truck and dont worry about everybody elses truck..if it is pissing you off that people are very happy with there traxxas revo then you need to not read on this forum again....i like my savage 25 and i like my revo...whats the big deal..
uh, only people that "constantly break the diffs" in Savages are morons that can't drive.

Also, the Revo was designed from the outset to handle big block power.

and third, DON'T USE FREAKING WORDS YOU CAN'T SPELL.

Also, for the most part, I don't disagree with you. The revo is a great truck...not MY style, but it's a good truck.
Old 04-30-2006, 02:17 AM
cruiserx

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

supertib....the savage guys try and pump up the savage like its made from heaven...dont be a HIPOCRITE...the hpi guys are just as bad if not worse when it comes to trashing the other brand...we all know that the savage is the standard when it comes to toughness in hard core bashing...but you guys try and make out that the revo is some kind of crap....its not....and by the way,,the revo was designed for a small block anyway...it only has 2 spider gears in it compared to 4 in the savage...and until hpi did the 4 spider gear set in the savage it was constantly breaking the diffs also!!!! i mean get real dude....i know of a few revos that have a bigblock in them and have never had any diff problems...once again you HEAR of 1 person that has a problem with a traxxas product and asume that they all have a problem...no one said that the revo is bullet proof...what truck is...you need to relax and just enjoy your truck and dont worry about everybody elses truck..if it is pissing you off that people are very happy with there traxxas revo then you need to not read on this forum again....i like my savage 25 and i like my revo...whats the big deal..
uh, only people that "constantly break the diffs" in Savages are morons that can't drive.

Also, the Revo was designed from the outset to handle big block power.

and third, DON'T USE FREAKING WORDS YOU CAN'T SPELL.

Also, for the most part, I don't disagree with you. The revo is a great truck...not MY style, but it's a good truck.
uuuhhhh no that was one of the worst problems that the savage had..breaking diffs...were have you been???? why do you think that hpi went to the 4 gear set...and yes i know the the revo can handle a bigblock...i was trying to be polite...did i spell that correctly mr. teacher??...lol..like you have'nt misspelled a word before..wow...lol..
Old 04-30-2006, 02:21 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

uuuhhhh no that was one of the worst problems that the savage had..breaking diffs...were have you been???? why do you think that hpi went to the 4 gear set...and yes i know the the revo can handle a bigblock...i was trying to be polite...did i spell that correctly mr. teacher??...lol..like you have'nt misspelled a word before..wow...lol..
That was only with aftermarket engines.

and I'm sorry if proper punctuation and reasonably intelligent spelling is too much to ask of someone of your intellectual altitudee

*edit*

used the wrong word...little buzzed, my bad.
Old 04-30-2006, 02:28 AM
cruiserx

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

That was only with aftermarket engines.

and I'm sorry if proper punctuation and reasonably intelligent spelling is too much to ask of someone of your intellectual attitude
your right...sometimes it is to much to ask for...give me a break dude..this is not a spelling bee forum..lol..your hilarious..
Old 04-30-2006, 06:22 AM
shorty1

[X(]
Old 04-30-2006, 07:34 AM
Requiem

I just bought a Savage X and my Friend just bought a T-Maxx 3.3 We decided to get different trucks to make things more interesting. I must say there are things about both which I like. It seems to me the Savage X is better off road as I have more ground clearance, and I tear him up in the grass. However his top end speed is much faster than mine if we are on a track or pavement. It feels to me like the Savage X has more low gear power and speed. Also not to mention we drove our trucks for 5 hours yesterday and I didn’t break one part on mine, and he has a whole list of things he broke sevral pins and his front A arm, a shock, the list goes on... I really hate the suspension on his truck.

All in all they are both good trucks. And the Revo is a step up from the T-Maxx so I would assume they are fairly close in terms of performance. It just seems to me that the Savage X is more of an off road truck, but that’s just my opinion. And who in their right mind would 'bash' a 500 dollar truck :S This is my first truck so maybe I value it too much

I do have a question: If I got the 3 speed transmission for my Savage X would I be able to keep up on a drag race on pavement?

EDIT: The major thing I hate about my Savage X is how stuff gets tangled up in the drive train going to the wheels.
Old 04-30-2006, 02:56 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: Requiem

And who in their right mind would 'bash' a 500 dollar truck :S
the way I see it is...i bought the truck to beat the hell out of it. if i don't, i wasted $500
Old 05-01-2006, 02:47 AM
SavageHoon

cruiserX .. just piss off to the traxxas forum will you, we don't need to here your ****e here

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.