Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Suspension Clips........

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 07:59 PM
corona672

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension Clips........

for all you people that own a savvy or another truck that has the clips at the top of the springs......

have you ever takin them off??? how did this disadvantage or advantage your truck

thanks..........
Old 05-16-2006, 08:04 PM
benzzyo5

Default RE: Suspension Clips........

it makes it handle a little better cuz it's lower to the ground
Old 05-16-2006, 08:04 PM
icantfly

i took mine out long ago because i kept rolling it over while turning. once i did this it lowered the stance a little and helped so i dont roll over as much.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:14 AM
SavXMan

Will leaving them out when jumping(bashing) lead to broken and bent shocks? Been wanting to leave mine out but worried about busted shocks.
I don't race at all, just get together with some others and bash.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:51 AM
bam.bam

ORIGINAL: SavXMan

Will leaving them out when jumping(bashing) lead to broken and bent shocks? Been wanting to leave mine out but worried about busted shocks.
I don't race at all, just get together with some others and bash.
You should not have any broken or bent shocks if taken out if you were doing thing with the clips on as before.
Most likely you will tend to bottom-out and scrape your skids plates plenty more but give your savy better handling...
Old 05-17-2006, 12:25 PM
Sofrules

I would definitely remove them for better handling. You will be amazed at the difference.
Old 05-17-2006, 01:39 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

I have found a set of off set wheels took a LOT of the roll out even if you run the clips.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:48 PM
corona672

k thanks.....sorry about switching the subject but i broke / melted my c. shoes and many other parts and am having a problem puting in the upgrade 3 shoe c. on my savvy ss 25... u hav to bend the springs bak or somtihng right???

i hav no idea wat im doin so plz help me and tell me wat and y to do it...im a noob..

heres some pics....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36579.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	462932   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74696.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	462933   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di98838.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	462934  
Old 05-17-2006, 04:32 PM
46u

Hope you are running aluminum shoes no matter how many shoes you run. The stock composite ones in my 4.6 go so hot it melted my spur. It is a 3-shoe clutch (The only spur I ever had a problem with.) Put the aluminum shoes in and have not had a problem for over 2 gallons. Yes putting the clutch springs on are a pain and I bought a special tool that makes it easier but is not easy.
Old 05-17-2006, 06:21 PM
corona672

thanks ...do you know exactly how to put the springs on???
Old 05-17-2006, 07:34 PM
Stablock

I wouldn’t run with out those clips. I did when I first got the truck and lost the spring retainer clip that holds the bottom of the spring because of it. It cost me $15 to buy the tree for that part! I noticed (afterwards of course) that the spring is not long enough when the shock is fully extended without the spacers in. So I lost that part. I guess I could have stretched the springs out to make them longer but I actually prefer the clips in because I usually take my truck to the BMX track. Love those big jumps there. The more suspension, the better…for me anyways. I race the odd weekend too and never bother to take the spacers out. I personally don’t like the look of a Savage with a lower center of gravity. Trucks go up!

The clutch is not that hard to do. You don’t need a special tool. Just strong fingers. See attached.

http://www.hpiracing.com/graphics/in...25/S25_P46.jpg

Good luck
Old 05-17-2006, 07:49 PM
46u

I did the poor stock shoes with out a special tool and it is a pain. You just have to keep working with it. I did not say you HAVE to have a special tool I just said it makes it easier. When I built my 4.6 SS getting the clutch shoes and springs on was the hardest part.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:45 PM
corona672

k.... got the springs on finaly of wat i think is the right way..... but have once again another question..

is the clutch bell suposed to move along with the flywheel (cannot stop cb without stoping flywheel...) or is it supposed to be like ... fly wheel & cb turning put VERY LITTLE presure on cb, cb stops with ease, fly wheel keeps movin....

hav no idea wat im doing need help asap!!! i miss my truck runing!!!

thanks..
Old 05-18-2006, 03:23 PM
46u

ORIGINAL: corona672

k.... got the springs on finaly of wat i think is the right way..... but have once again another question..

is the clutch bell suposed to move along with the flywheel (cannot stop cb without stoping flywheel...) or is it supposed to be like ... fly wheel & cb turning put VERY LITTLE presure on cb, cb stops with ease, fly wheel keeps movin....

hav no idea wat im doing need help asap!!! i miss my truck runing!!!

thanks..
If I understand what you are saying correctly your clutch and flywheel are fine. The only time the CB should turn with the flywheel is when you get the RPM up and it slings the clutch shoes out and engages with the CB.
Old 05-18-2006, 03:28 PM
46u

With the engine out not running the CB should turn with out turning the flywheel.
Old 05-18-2006, 03:36 PM
corona672

If I understand what you are saying correctly your clutch and flywheel are fine. The only time the CB should turn with the flywheel is when you get the RPM up and it slings the clutch shoes out and engages with the CB.
k .. ya whenever i tighten up the screw that holds everything in place ( sry i dont know the name..) it will move with the flyweel...

shoould i either unscrew it a couple of threads and then thread lock it in place or put like 5 washers on the end of everything and screw the screw in all the way..( they both make the cb swing freely..)

p.s is there a way i can test i did it rite w/ my roto start???

thanks again ...
Old 05-18-2006, 03:50 PM
46u

If you hold the flywheel (of coarse with out the engine running) the CB should spin freely and not even try to turn the flywheel. If you tighten the screw that holds the CB on and the CB does not spin free with out it trying to turn the flywheel something is wrong.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:26 PM
corona672

so just before i put my engine all together it is ok that i put some washers in there instead of the bronze spacer that goes in front of the cb rite??

thanks alot
Old 05-18-2006, 04:37 PM
BLDonovan33

That's what I did. I've got three #10 washer's in place of that brass piece of crap spacer. Just watch the wear on the washers. You'll have to replace them every so often, and make sure they don't press against the clutchbell. You should be fine. Good luck!