Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.
View Poll Results: A poll
revo
31.30%
savage 25
68.70%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Savage 25, or revo 2.5

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 02:26 PM
500 lb. koolaid man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Savage 25, or revo 2.5

I love my savage 25, and I think its a great truck so I'd pick it over a revo. But I don't own a revo, so I couldn't give you a true answer. I'v read a fair amount about them both though, and they have their individual ups and downs. But from what I read, its revo for racing, savage for bashing.
Old 06-08-2006, 04:10 PM
Chronic

My personal choice would be the Savage 25. I would not keep either one of those trucks even close to how it comes out of the box, and I feel that the Savage is a better platform to build upon for my uses. I get confused sometimes if we are talking about trucks in their RTR condition or if we are speaking in terms of how good they could be. My Savage LE was built up along side of a Revo 2.5. The time and money invested in each is pretty close and even the Revo owner will tell you that the Savage is just an all around better truck now. That's just my experience though. The built Revos aren't as impressive as you would think considering how good they perform when stock.

If I was limited to keeping the trucks completely stock, I would probably choose the Revo. It's solid enough that you can get pretty rough with it, and it has good performance out of the box. It is also undeniably more newb friendly. It comes with a little entry level charger and receiver pack to get you started too. I'm a big Savage fan, but in comparison, the performance of the base Savage 25 is less than impressive.
Old 06-08-2006, 04:14 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Three gallons into my stock Savage 25, it's still pretty impressive. By that I don't just mean speed, but all around performance and quality. Still truckin', still a lot of fun...
Old 06-08-2006, 04:41 PM
DaveG55

Funny thing....
If you look at this thread and the one on the traxxas fourm you see them running about 70/30 for the Revo on traxxas and 70/30 for the Savage here.
Combine the two threads and you get about a 50/50 split overall.
Old 06-08-2006, 04:43 PM
hugh.jeego

yea. a great guy once said, if either were crap then there would be no reason to argue.

i belive his name was hugh.jeego i think.
Old 06-08-2006, 05:23 PM
DaveG55

ORIGINAL: hugh.jeego

yea. a great guy once said, if either were crap then there would be no reason to argue.

i belive his name was hugh.jeego i think.
Sorry, don't think I've ever heard the name[X(][X(]
Old 06-08-2006, 11:23 PM
drummerboy68028

lol ya ur right dave, alright guys that should just about do it. Thanks again. I believe my father is looking into a savage for me, but im still looking at revo. Once again, thanks.

GOD BLESS!!!
Old 06-09-2006, 12:23 AM
rockinsavage.25

savage is the best nothing has broke savage is the toughest nitro monster truck ive ever had i dont even want too speak of what i had last ( A BUGGY) the buggy was a acme racing-condor pro the most ****yest thing ive ever had and the cheapest so savage is my #1 product i would ever get and maybe the hpi hellfire but all together rock on with the savage .25!!!
Old 06-14-2006, 12:04 PM
Wizz Kid

lemons dont break cooling heads. they self implode out of the box.

if youre really concerned with the toughness of the cooling head, take a 9 iron to both the S-25 and the O.S. and see which one survives.

answer....... NEITHER! there is a 1/1,000,000 chance that you have the exact same landing with both trucks on the same spot of the cooling head at the same angle with the same velocity and weight behind it.

besides, how is the revo tough if the aftermarket motor survived the crash?
Old 06-14-2006, 02:45 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Savage vs Revo=personal preference.

stock vs stock, the Revo is a better truck than the Savage 25...but IMO the X makes the Savage better than the revo 2.5 stock vs stock, and I agree w/chronic-the Savage IS the better overall platform.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:50 PM
hugh.jeego

like you say it is personal preference. i prefer the revo cos i bash and race. i think the revo is tough enough to handle decent bashing and with a few mods can be just as tough as the savage. but it also has a faw lower center of gravity, better handling and suspension for racing etc etc. personally i would (an have) choose the revo, and build on that platform. the SavX ss 4.6 intrigues me though
Old 06-14-2006, 04:48 PM
proudamerican

heres an idea buy both there are definate opinions on this and idk y they are pretty much completly diffrent trucks. if u are gonna compare somethin compare a savvy with a t-maxx or an mgt. also before postin somethin like this use the search. i can say this cuz i got both and drive both alot. this is wat i comes down to savage= old 70's muscle car in that its got the power and acceleration but it is heavy, revo = C6 ZO6 corvette, fast light and sleek but cant handle alot of things other than road (and in case of the revo dirt). theres my opinion and i didn't vote cuz they are both great trucks. and both pretty strong (savage has got the edge though broken less parts while takin a helluva lot more trashing). revo is there for speed and racing. and if u know someone with either of these trucks become friends with them and see if they'll let u drive it find out if ya like it. then buy the other one cuz its no fun bashin two revos or racin two savages against each other. then find someone with a lst then either run it over and beat the ***** out of it or burn it with the revo. #1 thing though is have fun with it. but if this is ur first its best to get a kit (in my opinion) just so u no how it works. also if u have a lhs ask them get there opinion too. its also important the t u do ur own research.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:10 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Proud...The Revo and Savage X are nearly identical in price...they're in the same class.

the T-maxx is crap...and the MGT isn't that popular. the Revo and Savage are similar in goals, they just go about it in a different way
Old 06-15-2006, 12:48 PM
Nitro Ray

I had a revo 2.5, got it used paid 400, good deal, lots of extras, and hop ups. Engine was just past the break in point. It was pretty good on pavement, Me I'm a basher, truck ran like a dog in the bashing pit. I sold my t-maxx(had to take the engine out of the revo to make it happen) My intent was to upgrade my revo into a BB nitmare with the money I got from the T. In the process of waiting for it, I got a rare oppertunity to buy a Savage 25 for $200 dollars. I love the Savage, its big, its bad, its got plenty of power. See pictures of the deal I got, everything in the pictures is what I got for 200. I have been in the nitros for about 3 years now. Before that I was completley electric. This in my opinion was the best $200 I ever spent in nitro. Love everything about this truck.

ORIGINAL: drummerboy68028

with every vote, i want an opion, not just because u think that the savage or revo is the best. I am deciding on getting one of these. Hope u guys help instead of make it harder lol
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35262.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	478060   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99840.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	478061   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch95825.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	478062   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lf94316.jpg
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	478063   Click image for larger version

Name:	Te48955.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	478064   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hy33852.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	478065   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mo16234.jpg
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	478066   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rq55572.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	478067  

Old 06-15-2006, 01:08 PM
Nitro Ray

I disagree with the t-maxx is crap statement. My favorite truck so far is the Savage .25, but I beat the hell out of my T-Maxx, and it did well, I had a lot of fun with it. The only thing I do not like on the t-maxx is the centrifical tranny.
ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

Proud...The Revo and Savage X are nearly identical in price...they're in the same class.

the T-maxx is crap...and the MGT isn't that popular. the Revo and Savage are similar in goals, they just go about it in a different way
Old 06-16-2006, 08:39 AM
gerwen

It's the opposite of a catch-22. You win either way you go. They are both great trucks, so pick whichever appeals most to you. You really can't go wrong with either one. I will say that if you plan on racing, lean towards the Revo. It's a more capable racer. If you don't have any tracks near you, and are new to nitro, lean towards the Savage. You will have less frustration. The big block is easier to tune than the 2.5 (no experience with the 3.3 here), and it will likely break less. It IS a tougher truck. The revo is tough too, but not quite as tough as a savvy.

/Savage and revo owner
Old 06-16-2006, 08:55 AM
Smokin240sx

I gave up on my savage,and im buying a new truck today[:@]
Old 06-16-2006, 09:02 AM
hugh.jeego

what r u gonna get? why are u giving up?
Old 06-16-2006, 09:37 AM
Nitro Ray

Why, what is wrong with your savvy, I have had mine for a few weeks now, as mentioned in a couple of posts Bought it used. In my opinion its the best truck I have owned so far. I have had the Traxxas T-Maxx, and Revo, still have the Nitro Rustler pro .15.

Looking into a trade today, Revo needing engine, for ofna buggy like new with .26 engine, and extention hubs, mounted 40 series tires and rims.

Should I do it?

See attached picture

ORIGINAL: savage kid

I gave up on my savage,and im buying a new truck today[:@]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86519.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	478401   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51725.jpg
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	478402   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty65968.jpg
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	478403  
Old 06-16-2006, 06:41 PM
Smokin240sx

I don't know i might give it another shot but it's given me the most problems.
Old 06-17-2006, 02:19 AM
hissyfit10

i have a revo 3.3 and a savage 25 and i used ti have a savvy .21 id go with the savage 25 as long as you upgrade the engine everyone I know who has a savage has had to replace the engne eventually. th revo 3.3 is fun but its just not a well rounded truck the savage is more multipurpose and durabe. for a firstimer the savage all the way hen get another
Old 06-17-2006, 03:55 AM
Roy_e

iv had my savage x for a month and a half now, have had it hit a tree head on at full throttle, do a sumosalt somehow ( i think from hitting the root of tree 1st) and landing on its wheels, and just drive off again.. ahve replaced the upper arms though, smashed one of the stock ones when took out a fence pole.. replaced with aluminum adjusteable and its all good..

savage all the way.. Havent even stripped a spur yet..
Old 06-19-2006, 07:55 AM
Nitro Ray

Ive had my savy 25 for a little less that a month, I did strip my spur, but the reason was the slipper was set too tight(Not by me, but I did not check that before going into the bashing pit.) It all good, other than that, nothing has broke yet. All trucks will break unless its a shelf queen.

ORIGINAL: Roy_e

iv had my savage x for a month and a half now, have had it hit a tree head on at full throttle, do a sumosalt somehow ( i think from hitting the root of tree 1st) and landing on its wheels, and just drive off again.. ahve replaced the upper arms though, smashed one of the stock ones when took out a fence pole.. replaced with aluminum adjusteable and its all good..

savage all the way.. Havent even stripped a spur yet..
Old 06-19-2006, 08:02 AM
Nitro Ray

All engines will need to be replaced eventually, how well you treat your engine, and how it was broke in, will usually determine its life, befor rebuild or replacement. My .25 Star is running pretty strong and I like that engine alot more than my previous traxxas trx 2.5 engines(I had no luck with those) The savvy is a great truck for a 1st timmer, and an experienced basher. I find that the Nitro-Star engines are much easier to tune than a trx racing engine. Wich will make the experience for the newbeee more enjoyable in my opinion.

ORIGINAL: hissyfit10

i have a revo 3.3 and a savage 25 and i used ti have a savvy .21 id go with the savage 25 as long as you upgrade the engine everyone I know who has a savage has had to replace the engne eventually. th revo 3.3 is fun but its just not a well rounded truck the savage is more multipurpose and durabe. for a firstimer the savage all the way hen get another
Old 06-19-2006, 11:28 AM
savvyjj

screw the revo iv had my savage 25 4 about 8 months now and all i broke on it was the spur gear and the old bodie, i go bashin every 2 days back on the ranch and with all the big jumps i go on the truck is still runnin at its best. dont get me wrong the revo does have some sweet looks but i think the suspention is tooo weak to be goin over big jumps like the savage. youll only break stuff if your a very crappy driver and i mean VERY CRAPPY.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.