Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

need help with savage x

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 05:44 AM
STI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with savage x

hello.. i am trying to take my savage x for a spin. it would start fine but when applying the throttle the engine stalls.. when i start it again pick it up and apply 1/4 or 1/5 throttle it wont bog or stall.. i place it back on the ground and apply some throttle and it will stall again. i checked the idle screw and adjusted the gap. but still the same.. any idea? thanks in advance...
Old 07-24-2006, 04:10 PM
ELITE913

Default RE: need help with savage x

try leaning the HSN
Old 07-24-2006, 05:07 PM
STI

thank you for your reply.
it didnt work. i adjusted hsn and lsn back to factory setting and tried leaning them but it didnt work. i think i have a bad air leak some where. i will try sealing the engine.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:48 PM
Chronic

ORIGINAL: STI

thank you for your reply.
it didnt work. i adjusted hsn and lsn back to factory setting and tried leaning them but it didnt work. i think i have a bad air leak some where. i will try sealing the engine.
Might as well. If it's not leaking yet, it probably will eventually. Any engine should be sealed, but in my experiences the Nitrostar .25 is especially prone to air leaks. While you are at it, pressure test the fuel tank.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:11 AM
STI

hi.. i tested the fuel tank and its not leaking... i sealed the engine last night i will install it back and see..
Old 07-25-2006, 07:24 AM
SAVAGEJIM

Before driving the Savage at full throttle, always make sure the engine is fully warmed up. I found that the various Savage engines by HPI like it best when they are warmed up to 230degrees F. Brining a Savage engine to operating temp requires starting it and running it at moderate speeds for about a thenth to a quarter tank. A cold engine would be the number one reason why the engine would stall; but once warmed up, they will rock.

Is the Savage still new? If it is, the engine may not be completely broken in yet. Its true that S25 and F4.1 (the X version of the 25)roperly break in, but the engine will still stick for as long as up to 6 to 8 tanks. Most of all, be patient and drive the truck at moderate speeds while leaning the high end needle but 1/8 turn increments. Also, make sure the low end needle is at factory setting.

Also, make sure the drive train is not binding. Makes sure you have proper spur and clutch bell gear mesh. If that still fails, take the engine out, pull off the clutch bell and make sure the clutch shoes and installed correctly. I've smoked a set of clutch shoe by installing them backwards. The Savage X is RTR and fully assembled from the factory, but it does not hurt to check the clutch to make sure it was installed properly.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:26 AM
Gravrober

factory settings are kinda rich anyway too though..what you described sounds like a rich condition., either way it is a good idea to seal up your mill too.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:15 AM
STI

hello all.. thank you for your replies..

no the x is not new. i used it for 9 or 10 tanks only. i chaned the owb so may be its the backplate leaking. one thing i know that this engine is not normal at all. rpm raise up madly few minutes after starting and trying to drive at very little speed to warm up. i guess i will shopping for a new engine soon. any advice about this idea?
Old 07-27-2006, 03:33 AM
dan.zinger

Have you tried a new glow plug? Sounds like what my X was doing, Put in a plug runs great
Old 07-27-2006, 05:01 AM
STI

yes i changed the plug.. in fact here is what i did: sealed the engine, tested the fuel tank for leaks, new fuel lines with clips. it fires up easily and idles ok after sealing the engine i dont see any bubbles in the fuel line which is a good sign but i still cant figure out whats wrong when i release the throttle why it would shut off. i checked the servo arm and the carb gap and its all good. for a while i suspected the fail safe so i disconnected it. i leaned it a bit from the hsn and it worked fine for a while last night and shifted to 2nd and 3rd but when i toke a read of the temp i was amazed that its around 360F. i have no choice but to keep trying i guess when i give up i can see the sts .28 or the sh .28 on the way.

thank you all for your help.