Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

spur gears ?????

Old 08-12-2006, 07:11 PM
paulino966

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spur gears ?????

i have been blowing spur gears once too many times.I do set the spur gear good and tightened motor screws most of the time before running the truck and i also do not land on the brake or gas???????????? still bowing spur gears.
My transmission screws came loose of the clutch holder,and removed the srews completely out and ran the truck.I,m just wondering if that affects the spur or not and if anybody has a solution for this problem...
Old 08-12-2006, 09:54 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: spur gears ?????

Sorry the only thing I understand about this post is your have problems messing up the spur. You say you have the spur good and tight are you talking about the mess or the slipper is tightened all the way down. I all so do not know what a clutch holder is.
Old 08-12-2006, 11:46 PM
SAVAGEJIM

By clutch holder, I guess you mean the screw and spring that hold the slipper clutch and spur gear together. Go ahead and crank it down all the way and loosen it by a half turn as the book reccomends.

If you are loosing screws out of your tranny (namely #Z567's), then you need to replace the tranny case. Go to your local RC store (or go on-line) and order a new Savage tranny case. Once you get the case, take the old tranny out, dissassemble it, and begin to transplant the guts (tranny gears, bearings, etc.) into the new case.

While you have your tranny taken apart, inspect all the gears and bearings and lube/replace as necessary. From your description of your spur gears failing too often, it may be that your input shaft (the shaft that the slipper clutch assembly screws onto) may be bent. This will be obvious even before you remove your old tranny. Spin the spur while it is still mounted on the tranny and if it wobbles, the shaft is bent and/or other pieces of the slipper clutch assembly need to be replaced.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:36 AM
46u

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

By clutch holder, I guess you mean the screw and spring that hold the slipper clutch and spur gear together. Go ahead and crank it down all the way and loosen it by a half turn as the book reccomends.

Nice to see some can get away with running a slipper that loose. If I run mine that loose it will slip so bad it well melt my spur and all I have is a stock 4.6. But what ever works. Most run it tightened all the way down.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:57 AM
SAVAGEJIM

I too run my clutch nut all the way cranked down. Over time, the slipper pad wore down and I had to crank it to keep it holding. I'm assuming he has a fresh slipper pad on his spur. If the slipper slips excessively, he should then skip what the book recommends and go ahead and crank it all the way down too.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:30 AM
paulino966

thanks for the input,what i ment was i tightened the nut on the spur gear all the way.i do not back it off,i own the savage x and i mesh the spur good and i tightened the motor mounts srews tight and also my spur gear is wobbly.my transmission case cames apart from the top,i think that might be a weak point...
Old 08-13-2006, 11:38 AM
46u

ORIGINAL: paulino966

thanks for the input,what i ment was i tightened the nut on the spur gear all the way.i do not back it off,i own the savage x and i mesh the spur good and i tightened the motor mounts srews tight and also my spur gear is wobbly.my transmission case cames apart from the top,i think that might be a weak point...

Yes if you have stripped the screws holding the top of the case this is a problem from what I have read. All so I do not know how true it is but someone said HPI is coming out with a new X transmission case. I am so glade I have the older Savage from what I have read. I hate to hear about the X as I am a HPI person! With many gallons on mine I have had very little problems and run the same spur for well over 3 gallons.

Old 08-13-2006, 12:02 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: 46u

ORIGINAL: paulino966

Yes if you have stripped the screws holding the top of the case this is a problem from what I have read. All so I do not know how true it is but someone said HPI is coming out with a new X transmission case.
I can see how the X tranny case have its veitical screws strip out. There are only 2 of them and these vertical screws are the short Z567's. They should have used the Z569's instead and made the X tranny case held together by 4 vertical screws instead. This wil ensure that the X-tranny will not warp as badly under load as well as help prevent the risk of stripped screw holes.
Old 08-13-2006, 01:48 PM
Revo Eater

No problems with mine in over 6 gallons.
Old 08-13-2006, 04:24 PM
SAVAGEJIM

The current X-Tranny will hold together without any problems so long as you don't continually take it apard and reassemble it. I don't pull mine apart all the time (as a matter of fact, I installed the X tranny case and never had to crack it open), but my neighbor insists on continually adjusting his 3speed's 1st to 2nd gear shift. He stipped the vetical holes, but we remedied that by drilling the holes 5mm deeper, putting in CA into the holes to refurbish the striped tread portion, and screwed in Z569's instead. This fixed the situation for now but I think the CA will eventually fall out and the new 5mm of tread will strip out too.
Old 08-13-2006, 05:34 PM
paulino966

thanks,but my transmission is not stripped its my inside screws that holds the clutch holder,there is 3 little screws that what stripped.so i removed it due to being stripped.