Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

broken crankshaft

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 05:24 AM
burkes_22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default broken crankshaft

hey guys, i broke my crankshaft where the con rod joins the crank, just at that little shaft that comes out off the crank, has any one done anything similar to this? here is a pic
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46033.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	506330  
Old 08-13-2006, 05:36 AM
boydie1

Default RE: broken crankshaft

What engine was it on?
Old 08-13-2006, 12:14 PM
SAVAGEJIM

I cannot say I've ever done that. My only guess how this is possible is that using a piston locking tool that screws into the glow plug hole when holding the crank still has over time weakend the conrod pin. When the engine was running, the fatigue on the pin finally caused it to fail prematurely.
Old 08-14-2006, 05:00 AM
burkes_22

it was on the s25 engine, do you think i should send it to hpi and see what they say? i haven't ever used a locking device on this engine this just broke by it's self.also if i get a new crankshaft for it will i need to break it in a bit?
Old 08-14-2006, 06:55 AM
SAVAGEJIM

I would first send it to HPI if it is still under warranty. If not, go on-line and buy a crank for S25. They are'nt too expensive online.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:41 PM
-SomeGuy-

This happened to my s-25 last summer and my friends f4.1 had the same problem this summer. We called hpi and they said to send it in, probably will send us a new one. Im not sure if replacing the crankshaft will fix it and i say this because on both of our engines, when the shaft broke the conrod came down hard and dented the bottom of the crankcase. In my case it actually cracked the crankcase, my friends 4.1 had a nice dent but no crack. Check this before buying anything to fix it, also there is a chance that the shock may have damaged the piston and sleeve, the only stuff we could salvage from our engines were the heatsink and carb, and maybe the engine bearings but its not worth it.
Old 08-14-2006, 05:58 PM
Revo Eater

Also with engine waranties always tell them you ran HPI Power fuel 20% if they ask.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:40 AM
burkes_22

cool thanks guys, il look at my crank casr and check it out for dents, i think il just go for a new engine. some thing bigger
Old 08-15-2006, 06:21 AM
SAVAGEJIM

Now would be a geat time to put your S25 on fleabay. Your article should read "One used HPI Nitrostar S25 for Savage 21, 25, 4.6, SS, LE, & X. Some scratches, but ran great the last time I ran it. Sold as is."

A sucker is born every day.
Old 08-15-2006, 04:04 PM
bam.bam

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

Now would be a geat time to put your S25 on fleabay. Your article should read "One used HPI Nitrostar S25 for Savage 21, 25, 4.6, SS, LE, & X. Some scratches, but ran great the last time I ran it. Sold as is."

A sucker is born every day.
Nah... don't do that. That's not kewl..... just be direct and honestly describe what wrong with it... Saves you a headache after the winning bidder really finds out the truth...

Unless you like to do those things....
Old 08-16-2006, 04:43 AM
burkes_22

na i don't really want to sell it just yet guys, i think il just get a new engine for it like a sts .28 or something cheap like that, i just ordered my reverse module 2 days before it happened too so that really pissed me off! i want to get some run time outof it first and i dont think id get enough money for it any way with all the mods iv done to it. a new savage x or revo 3.3 would be good tho![sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 08-16-2006, 04:55 AM
hokiward

yea just had the same hapen to me last weekend, savage 25 rtr -nitro star s-25, cant say the motor was new, but was broken in gently and it was still in pretty good nick..

One thought though, hydrolocking (getting the engine to full of fuel could cause the piston to lock) and then the roto start puts all that load onto the little pin, then when u finally get it going it lets go ?
Old 08-17-2006, 12:40 AM
burkes_22

yeah maybe but i wouldnt think the roto start would have that much force to put enough stress on the pin.