Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.
View Poll Results: A poll
XS3 Pro
23.08%
DX3
69.23%
Other (Please state below)
7.69%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Radio Help: DX3--OR--XS3 Pro

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 01:01 AM
a8man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio Help: DX3--OR--XS3 Pro

Hello, I am fairly new to this hobby (~6 Months) and I need a new radio for my Savage X and it has to be 3-channel (for the reverse). I don't race or even bash...just rarely. I just run them on the street or parking lots. I currently have the stock X radio (AM) and I think I really don't need any more features than that except for the glitching problem. I heard great things about both radios. Please vote on the better one and please tell me why. I would also appreciate if you guys tell me the advantages and disadvantages of both. (Got no help in other forum) I am aware that the DX3 and XS3 both come with a reciever and two servos (which I need). I don't need a second reciever because I am selling my other car. I know there is a price difference but I suppose I can each for about $200 max (with servos and reciever). Or please recomend another radio that will fit my needs. Servo recomendations would be extremely appreciated. Thanks!

JR XS3 Pro

Spektrum DX3
Old 08-14-2006, 02:23 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Radio Help: DX3--OR--XS3 Pro

I personally like Futaba's 3PM or the XS3 Pro because of the 10 model memory. Futaba 3PM non-synth is about $120, and $50 for a Novak XXL receiver, and another crystal for your other car, and bam, you're done

Also, the Novak XXTra receiver works with any brand of radio and it's synthesized, so you can use any FM 75 mhz radio with ti. in fact, today i drove my mini quake using my old XR3
Old 08-14-2006, 04:05 AM
a8man

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

I personally like Futaba's 3PM or the XS3 Pro because of the 10 model memory. Futaba 3PM non-synth is about $120, and $50 for a Novak XXL receiver, and another crystal for your other car, and bam, you're done

Also, the Novak XXTra receiver works with any brand of radio and it's synthesized, so you can use any FM 75 mhz radio with ti. in fact, today i drove my mini quake using my old XR3
Thanks but I don't need a radio for the other car . How well do the features compete?
Old 08-14-2006, 06:15 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

I've had the 3PM for 2 years now and I haven't even scratched the surface on all of its features. it's cool as hell! I can't really speak for the XS3 Pro but I'd assume it's at least SIMILAR to my 5-year-old XR3...and the XR3 is a great radio too.

you can't go wrong with any of 'em IMO.
Old 08-14-2006, 06:55 AM
VENTUREMAN

the xs3 and the spektrum are both racers.i would say for bashing the dx3 is your best bet.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:04 AM
Chronic

The Spektrum DX3 and the JR XS3 Pro are both really nice radios, and these are two that I looked at when I was upgrading the Savage. I ended up going with the DX3. I have the regular XS3 for my LST2 and it's a really good one too.

It comes down to features of course. The JR has more fine adjustments and a couple of features that hardcore racers will appreciate more, but the Spektrum has all of the basics and enough adjustments for most people to be happy. 3 model memory vs 10 model memory for the JR. The main difference in operation is the fact that the JR is synthesized FM and the Spektrum is the DSM 2.4GHz. The Spektrum is faster as far as signal processing goes, and you don't have any glitch or interference issues to ever worry about. The Spektrum has a longer operating range. The batteries last longer in my Spektrum than they do in my XS3 also.

Hardware.... They both come with the same servos, but the Spektrum has the extra $70 receiver in the box so you have the ability to use it for two vehicles without buying anything extra. The Spektrum is also based on a JR radio case, so the quality of the exterior components is similar. The XS3 pro feels better in your hand, but it's mostly because of the foam grip and better quality wheel. The DX3 comes with a built-in failsafe. An added feature is the short antenna length of the Spektrum system. The antenna on the car is only 8" long and you can keep it under the body, and on the radio itself the antenna is just a little rubber deal that's about 4" long and folds over when not in use.

Do you want the extra adjustability and increased model memory of the JR, or would you rather have the superior signal processing and included extras of the Spektrum?

If you look around you can find the Nomadio "brownbox special" for around $270.... and then you would have the best of both worlds. The "special" comes without servos, sensors, or the software CD. So you would still need the $50 worth of sensors if you wanted the temp and speed readouts, and you would have to download the software to your PC. That thing is wicked. It's conversational, and will alert you in one of several possible ways when something is going wrong. Want to know what temp your engine is running at? Just look at the radio display screen and it will tell you. If you don't want the voice or beep alerts, you can set it up to vibrate like a cell phone. Cool, just cool.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:59 AM
gleebs

Where can I find more info on this Nomadio?
Old 08-14-2006, 11:18 AM
Chronic

ORIGINAL: gleebs

Where can I find more info on this Nomadio?

[link=http://www.nomadio.net/default.asp?ilevel1=2]Right here[/link]

And the $270 deal can be found [link=http://www.unlimitedengineering.com/cgi-bin/store/NOM-104.html]here[/link]

I would have went with the Nomadio Sensor over my Spektrum DX3 if that deal had been around at the time.
Old 08-14-2006, 11:30 AM
Sparco

and www.smfstore.com sells the brownbox version
Old 08-14-2006, 12:45 PM
a8man

ORIGINAL: Chronic

The Spektrum DX3 and the JR XS3 Pro are both really nice radios, and these are two that I looked at when I was upgrading the Savage. I ended up going with the DX3. I have the regular XS3 for my LST2 and it's a really good one too.

It comes down to features of course. The JR has more fine adjustments and a couple of features that hardcore racers will appreciate more, but the Spektrum has all of the basics and enough adjustments for most people to be happy. 3 model memory vs 10 model memory for the JR. The main difference in operation is the fact that the JR is synthesized FM and the Spektrum is the DSM 2.4GHz. The Spektrum is faster as far as signal processing goes, and you don't have any glitch or interference issues to ever worry about. The Spektrum has a longer operating range. The batteries last longer in my Spektrum than they do in my XS3 also.

Hardware.... They both come with the same servos, but the Spektrum has the extra $70 receiver in the box so you have the ability to use it for two vehicles without buying anything extra. The Spektrum is also based on a JR radio case, so the quality of the exterior components is similar. The XS3 pro feels better in your hand, but it's mostly because of the foam grip and better quality wheel. The DX3 comes with a built-in failsafe. An added feature is the short antenna length of the Spektrum system. The antenna on the car is only 8" long and you can keep it under the body, and on the radio itself the antenna is just a little rubber deal that's about 4" long and folds over when not in use.

Do you want the extra adjustability and increased model memory of the JR, or would you rather have the superior signal processing and included extras of the Spektrum?

If you look around you can find the Nomadio "brownbox special" for around $270.... and then you would have the best of both worlds. The "special" comes without servos, sensors, or the software CD. So you would still need the $50 worth of sensors if you wanted the temp and speed readouts, and you would have to download the software to your PC. That thing is wicked. It's conversational, and will alert you in one of several possible ways when something is going wrong. Want to know what temp your engine is running at? Just look at the radio display screen and it will tell you. If you don't want the voice or beep alerts, you can set it up to vibrate like a cell phone. Cool, just cool.
Wow I learned alot lol. Well, since I know that I am not going to have more than two cars at the same time, I think the Spektrum is better in that department; Since I would better prefer better, longer, and quality signal processing over looks and feel, I think that the DX3 wins in that department also. However, if looks could kill, XS3 would be the victor. Okay, when it comes down to price, I, with difficulty, found a new one for about $150 shipped (servos, reciever). The DX3 easily goes for $140 new (reciever, servos). In the long runm its all about function and looks vs. quality. Am I missing anything? Also, I really like that JR has interchangable wheels; Does spektrum have this too?
Old 08-14-2006, 01:54 PM
a8man

Oh, I almost forgot. One extremely important feature for me is the 3rd channel switch. I see that the JR has the wonderful thumb switch but I have no idea where the Spektrum does. Anyone know?
Old 08-14-2006, 04:05 PM
Chronic

I don't have reverse so I've never used it with the Spektrum. You set up the "B" button for reverse duties. That tall button on the XS3 is for the lap counter and something else.... I can't remember right now. You set it up the same way as the Spektrum, by programming the "B" button to operate reverse. I think on the Spektrum it works like a momentary switch, where you would have to hold it down for reverse to stay engaged. Not really sure though since I've never used it for that.
Old 08-14-2006, 11:36 PM
46u

I race and like my DX3 VERY much.
Old 08-15-2006, 05:17 PM
ssj2

I don't race with my DX3, but I do normal runs in parks and stuff. I have never had any problems with the DX3, I'm interesting to see how far the range goes, I've heard its very far. Anway, I was just running my truck with two of my friends who have AM, and they received interference with each other, I'm not sure if this is also the case for FM. All I know is that I love my DX3, and it's been worth every penny for me, having the security of knowing that I'm in control of my car; not interference. You could always get the XS3 with a Spektrum module, but that will cost you more. Good luck!