Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > HPI Monster Truck Forum
Reload this Page >

Need some Help with spurs and reving high problems

Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Need some Help with spurs and reving high problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 07:31 PM
classicxl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some Help with spurs and reving high problems

Gone through 2 spurs tonight i go through one tank fine then it stirps the 2and time i made a little bite loose but not to loose still striped after the 2and tank. i know the cb at the end but still
the 1st tank and no problems. should i go with steel .

2. just tuinning the hsp when i start braking it revs high for at lest 5-8 seconds so i riching it a 1/4 turn nothing.Im at a temp of 260f
Old 08-15-2006, 07:56 PM
benzzyo5

Default RE: Need some Help with spurs and reving high problems

adjust the idle more or just do it by the trim on the transmitter. is the spur striped or melted? take a look at it or if u could post a pic
Old 08-15-2006, 08:04 PM
classicxl

looks like its melted it took about 1mm all around the gear should go with steel i made sure it was not tight .Will a steel spur cause any drive train damage.

Would a warn cb be the problem mine pretty much done so what should i replace it with im thinking the a steel spur will not sove the problem just make it worse if you don't have it set right it will not work right.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:42 PM
Top-cop-nj

To run a steel spur you need a hardened cb, I'm gonna pick up the hpi duel slipper steel spur myself. The plastic ones are too flimsy and prone to breakage in my opinion. Some say you need to mesh it correctly but I've taken my truck apart and carefully gone over and it still goes through spurs "12 in two monthes". So after I get my steel in there all my headaches will hopefully go out the window.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:53 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Most definitley, make sure your idle is not openting the slide too far. Make sure it holds the slide open as recommended by the HPI Savage manual. You can view or download the manual on HPI's website.

High revving can also be caused by air leaks. First, simply ditch all the stoch fuel lines and get some fresh fuel lines. Also, if you have an in-line fuel filter, take it apart and clean the filter screen so more fulel will flow thru it easily.

If the preceding steps do not help your revving problem, dismount the engine, dissassemble it, and apply rtv sealant on the problem areas the back plate, and the carb post that mounts into the crank case. Also, make sure your heatsink is tightend down snuggly and evenly. If you feel the heatsink is not srewed down evenly, unscrew all of the hed screws, and retightened them in a cross pattern.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:07 PM
classicxl

i chaged the fuel lines a long time ago the slide opens pretty far it did not start acting up until i tuned it futher lean on the hsp is the back plate behine the roto start . and would a warn out cb be the problem for the spur it looks like its getting to hot and melting the surs don't spin freely i think the problem is the warn out cb what do you guys think i don't realy want to spend $60 for a steel spur if i don't have but i would like to buy a better cb thats harder what should i buy steel or stay with plastic and replace the cb .
Old 08-15-2006, 10:55 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Get a new clutchbell if the teeth look snaggletoothed or do not match the teeth on the spur cleanly. Worn CB teeth will affect the mesh and if particularly bad, they will eat spur gears for lunch.

As far as a steel spur, be sure to get a new CB anyway; preferrably a hardened one like everyone else says to do. A worn CB on a new steel spur is not a good combination. You will cause undue wear and tear on you expensive spur gear's teeth.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:01 AM
tat2d2dope

dude did you say your CB don't spin freely, thats a problem.
with my motor out i can spin my CB and it'll spin for a good 20 seconds.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:20 AM
-SomeGuy-

If its the cb then check the bearings, they fall appart sometimes and if not fixed it can break your crankshaft.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:49 AM
classicxl

im going to get a harded cb so it will not get warn but worried about useing a steel spur because i don't want to srew my 3 speed up and i think the cb is the problem.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:58 AM
SAVAGEJIM

As far as the CB not spiing freely, like everyone else is saying, check th 2 bearings on th CB. Those things will spin up to 40000+ RPM! If they are fragged, chunk them immediately and get fresh new ones.

To help prevent fragging the little bearings, try to keep 'em lubed as often as possible.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:16 AM
classicxl

who make rtv sealant.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:29 AM
bam.bam

ORIGINAL: classicxl

who make rtv sealant.
Permatex. Get it at any auto car parts stores..
Old 08-16-2006, 11:39 AM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: classicxl

looks like its melted it took about 1mm all around the gear should go with steel i made sure it was not tight .Will a steel spur cause any drive train damage.

Would a warn cb be the problem mine pretty much done so what should i replace it with im thinking the a steel spur will not sove the problem just make it worse if you don't have it set right it will not work right.
From this statement here it sounds like you have a clutch problem. What clutch shoes are you running? Sounds like your CB is getting hot and melting the spur. People run what you want but I sure have no problem with the stock plastic and I am running the same spur for WELL over 3 gallons and still looks all most new.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:48 PM
classicxl

holly sh%% just broke one of the bearing took the cb off and all hell broke loose parts were flying around it was a little scarey any ways i may have bigger problems on top of the cluch shoes they are marked up like 2 things rubbing and the pins are starting to rust and the crankshaft whats up with this i have 1 bearing and a washer any thing missing . .