Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

help me get this going plz...

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 10:33 PM
blowpopracer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help me get this going plz...

I have done alot of research so far, but just want to make this the best race set up I can get. I already have tons of mods some of which I have learned on here arent so good, some are really good. Anyways here is what I have. Please feel free to tell me which mods suck or should be replaced and also what other mods I should do to make this savy handle like a dream on the track. Especially would like opinions on converting to a 4 shock system since I wanna buy hpi's suspension conversion kit.

stock savage 25
FLM 1 1/2" extended chassis
flm engine mount
flm servo mount
jr 8550 dig steering servo
mid tank conversion
tsais cvd's
integy msr4's(i know most people dont like these)
integy upper a arms in the front

Well let me have it. Tell me what else I should look into. All your advice is appreciated so keep the suggestions coming

Old 08-26-2006, 10:52 PM
Chronic

Default RE: help me get this going plz...

Take it to the track and practice until you can run a nice clean lap at a reasonable pace with the truck sitting as-is. Then start observing the truck as you run those laps and the needed improvements will become obvious.

Steering and suspension are probably going to be the first areas you want to play around with. You need one hell of a steering servo with that setup, but I imagine the 8000 series JR has enough to make you happy. I really don't know what to recommend to you. You have a fairly modified platform as far as steering and suspension geometry and weight balance go. I would make the same suggestion to anyone, but especially in your case... get some track time under your belt before you go much further. Having to upgrade your upgrades sucks.
Old 08-26-2006, 10:54 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Keep in mind extended chassis takes a larger turning radius. I run LCG but stock length. I have the HPI LCG chassis kit. Here is my set up. I raced it for the first time tonight came in first against the Revo’s.

My Savage set up as of 8/15/06
This is my present set up

Started with a 4.6 SS kit
HPI LCG chassis
Spektrum DX3 radio
X A arms (lighter then the 4.6SS ones)
X differential and bulkheads (will make changing diff oil easier for different tracks)
208oz Tower Pro steering servo
Trinity foam tire inserts (low roll)
Pro-Line 1.26 off set wheels
HPI S Dirt Bonz
XTM sliding clutch
5-cell receiver hump pack
Steering bearing mod
49 spur 16 CB (I run right now on a small tight track)
HS-645 throttle and brake servo
25-weight oil, 10mm limiters, one red and one green spring each corner with one spacer
2 to 3 degree negative camber all four wheels
3 degree toe in rear
2 degree toe out front
5k front diff oil
3k rear duff oil
X engine guard with roll bar

Things I want to get
Associated LRP Z.28 Spec 3 engine
HPI light transmission gear
HPI Nubz Conversion Set w/17mm UV Joints White wheels

Things I am considering
Titanium transmission shafts
Buggy shocks (The only hold up on this is I think a monster truck should have 8 shocks)
Old 08-26-2006, 11:46 PM
blowpopracer

Thanks alot for the info. I knew I would increase my turning radius with the extended chassis but thought the increase in stability would be worth it thats why I went that way. As far as your set up goes It sounds like you have a nice machine I do have some questions though.....

1)with the x diff and bulkheads do I have to buy each part individually to do that or do you know somewhere I can buy it as a kit?
2)I eventually want to go to a faster motor once I hone my driving skills, I see you have the xtm slide clutch, will that hold up to a higher hp engine? Would it be worth buying now and putting it on my stock 25 or hold off till I buy the better engine and upgrade engine and clutch as a assembly?
3)what is a steering bearing mod?
4)If I went to buggy shocks what type of shocks would u recommend? And what would I have to do to get them to fit on my truck if anything?
5)The hpi nubz conversion set.... does that help with driveability?

I know these are dumb questions but I just want to be well informed so I can wrap up my project racer. Some of my buds say the savy will never compete with the revo's and I appreciate your help to prove them wrong.