Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

savage transmission

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 08:54 PM
mikeridesbikes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default savage transmission

Hey I remember a few years back hearing that the savage tranny had a problem with the 2 speed where it would lock itself into 2nd gear and not come out, due to the design of the centrifugal clutch in the 2 speed. I was just trying to see if this has been remedied in the X and X SS versions of the truck. Do any of you have problems with shifting with a powerful engine such as a .30(or anything along those lines)?
Old 08-29-2006, 09:01 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Default RE: savage transmission

Whoa! I've personnaly never heard of or seen that problem before. How prevalent was this problem?
Old 08-29-2006, 11:44 PM
fxrs

All the savages with the two speed tranny except for the x come with the crap
plastic 2nd gear. But there is an up grade for the 2 speed from HPI.
You'll need part#87227 the picture on the left is the stock gear. The picture on
the right is the upgrade.

The following text is from HPI web site.

New for the HPI Savage is a Heavy-Duty Transmission Gear for the 2 speed transmission. Changes include the use of hardened steel in critical areas, additional pins, and revised gear design. The result of the changes is a transmission with improved durability, smoother gear mesh, and more consistent shifting. This new heavy-duty part is a direct replacement for the 2nd gear in all Savage 2 speed transmissions, and includes all of the parts necessary for the conversion and complete installation instructions.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh17184.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	515817   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73790.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	515818  
Old 08-29-2006, 11:45 PM
mikeridesbikes

This was "back in the day" when the savage 25 just came out. Guys were putting in motors like the wasp 26 and some were having tranny issues. So none of you have had problems with the shifting, and the tranny returning back to first gear after hitting 2nd?
Old 08-31-2006, 06:59 PM
gorilla95

I have a first generation savage(it however has been completely redone including a 3-speed tranny), but when I first used it my tranny would lock up and it would be stuck in 2nd. There are three small screws on the first gear that would back-out and lock up against the second speed gear. All you have to do is remove the tranny, take it apart(keep track of how it comes apart) and cleam any oily residue off the main gears then use a dab of red loctite(the permenant one) and lock the screws down. This should fix it. -R
Old 08-31-2006, 07:24 PM
SAVAGEJIM

I've had 2 2spd trannys and they have never caused me any problems. I guess it's because they are the newer versions (they are only a year old). Also, it could be that I never really used them either. Soon afterwards, I bought the 3spd upgrade kits and have been using those ever since.
Old 09-01-2006, 04:55 PM
Revo Eater

I locked my Savage in 2nd gear on purpose. I found no use for that low of a gear ratio since I dropped an STS .28 in it. I also run 47t spur and 18t clutch bell and the truck will still show it's underside at half throttle.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:18 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: Revo Eater

I locked my Savage in 2nd gear on purpose. I found no use for that low of a gear ratio since I dropped an STS .28 in it. I also run 47t spur and 18t clutch bell and the truck will still show it's underside at half throttle.
Word! STS D28M all the way! Wheelie city even in 2nd gear!