Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

HPI conversion kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 11:00 PM
f150dan
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HPI conversion kit

Is anybody running this conversion kit from HPI for the Savage? Its supposed to improve handling and has alot of aluminum parts. It seems kinda expensive to me, but I didn't know what you guys though about it.

[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXMJH4&P=7]http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXMJH4&P=7[/link]
Old 08-31-2006, 11:17 PM
nitroracer82

Default RE: HPI conversion kit

I saw that a few months ago and decided to pass. My savage is for hardcore bashing and aluminum is tough but stays bent. The savage can have great handling with adjustments made to stock parts. IDK, I prefer my Revo for competitive offroad racing like this kit seems to be geared for.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:43 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

I have seen it but for the price not sure it would be worth it. I have mine set up for racing and matter of fact ran my first race with it last Saturday and beat the Revo’s. I do have a lot in my Savage but do run a stock K4.6 engine.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:07 AM
nitroracer82

46u, a round of applause! I think the savvy is more than capable of beating the revo with the right set up. Unfortunatley I choose to keep my savy for bashing only and revo for racing. Very sweet though!
Old 09-01-2006, 02:55 PM
amwhite2005

Dont use a Revo for Bashing!!! Savage can be good for both, Revo only good for racing.
Old 09-01-2006, 04:16 PM
nitroracer82

ORIGINAL: amwhite2005

Dont use a Revo for Bashing!!! Savage can be good for both, Revo only good for racing.

Actually, the revo takes one hell of a beating. I have yet to actually break something of significance. But now I no longer bash my revo anymore. Just prepping for race.
Old 09-01-2006, 04:32 PM
Revo Eater

Revo's are way weaker than Savages. Every week at the track I see at least one Revo dragging it's ass end because something in the suspension broke. I hardly ever lose to a Revo and when I have it was because I crashed where there was no marshall and laid on my roof until the truck ran out of gas.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:24 PM
SAVAGEJIM

The Revo can be toughend up with some aftermarket parts. These are meant to make Revo survive and finish races, not for making it a basher. Though Revo can take some licks, I personally would'ne bash with it. If I ever get a Revo, I would make sure it is bashed only when run at the race track. Other trucks running over yours in a competitive race is bashing enough for a Revo or other race-prepped truck.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:00 PM
HYPA

The suspension conversion is a good bit of gear if you want to race and the Savage is more than capable of killing Revo's and being stronger while doing it. The disadvantage of the suspension conversion is that due to its design you can only use two shocks up front which means you will have to convert to buggy shocks or run two stock shocks up front and four at the rear. HPI have been a bit sneaky about this because the picture of the installed suspension conversion shows the truck with four front shocks yet when you buy the conversion it specifically tells you that four front shocks will not work. This is not an issue for me as I already run four (in total) buggy shocks in my truck but for others it may be a problem. HPI does include instructions on how to setup for two front shocks though so you should be able to get your Savage handling well if you are using the stock shocks. I may get the conversion eventually but right now I am concentrating on other things to get my Savage race ready.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:12 PM
Wizz Kid

please dont start another brand war.

really, all those aluminum parts will reduce flex giving a stiffer, more reactive steering but add more weight. i suppose with the right motor the weight gain wouldnt be significant.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:22 PM
HYPA

There is no war. The FACT is that the Savage has the potential to be a great racer therefore beating Revo's and is proven to be the toughest monster out there. The Revo is a great truck but it doesn't have the durability or versatility of the Savage.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:24 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

I have beat Revos with out this kit but mine is modified. I will say it is not easy to beat Revos but it can be done. I will say they sure do break more them my Savage.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:53 PM
Yamaha9

look nice if i had the money id buy it