Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > HPI Monster Truck Forum
Reload this Page >

Savage Vs Revo 3.3 - NO HOLDS BARRED ---- (NOW ALSO IN THE TRAXXAS SECTION)-----

Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Savage Vs Revo 3.3 - NO HOLDS BARRED ---- (NOW ALSO IN THE TRAXXAS SECTION)-----

Old 10-01-2006, 12:42 AM
ViperX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage Vs Revo 3.3 - NO HOLDS BARRED ---- (NOW ALSO IN THE TRAXXAS SECTION)-----

common guyz - i want the truth here - how good or bad is the revo 3.3? i have never owned a revo - but i hear all this talk about how good it is as well as how much it sucks [sm=71_71.gif] - i want an unbiased view/opinion etc -

i really want to know how it compares to a Savage(of ur choice) - how good is the TRX 3.3 engine compared to the engines our savages come with? how much bashing can this revo 3.3 endure side by side next to a savage? which is more durable ? which handles better ? which is more easy to work on ? which is higher maintenance ? which is better suited for racing ? I DONT WANT TO BE THAT IGNORANT SAVAGE OWNER - i want to know what u know

i m a proud savage owner and in the past i havent hesitated to express my negative views regarding my x(i luv it anyhow) or boast about how brilliant and trouble free my SS 4.6 and my LE was.

i d specailly like to hear from those who own or have owned both the revo 3.3 as well as a savage

let the beating begin [sm=punching.gif] - I WANT THE BRUTAL TRUTH HERE PEOPLE

REMEMBER THIS IS A "NO HOLDS BARRED" THREAD and if its gets a lil heated along the way SO BE IT

p.s. i m not looking for replies that say "Savage is the best" or "Revo is the best" PERIOD - CAN U BACK YOUR CLAIM with some facts or decent reasoning?

Old 10-01-2006, 01:05 AM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Savage Vs Revo 3.3 - NO HOLDS BARRED

This topic has been discussed many times but here it goes again. I do not own a Revo and if they made it in a kit with out an engine I might consider it. I do know that at the track they break way more then my Savage and so far I have never not finished a race I have started but have seen many Revo’s start only to break before the race is finished. I do know that the A arms are very weak on the Revo but you can fix this with RPM arms. I will say the Revo is a very good handling truck on the track.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:30 AM
Chronic

The Revo is very good out of the box. It's lightweight, fast, handles good, easy to use, and easy to drive in stock form. I'm no Revo fan, but I have to be honest. They are fast little buggers around the track if setup right, and after some beefing they are good bashers. The low weight combined with a swapped in bigblock makes for one hell of a ramp monster/speed machine.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:37 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What exactly needs to be done to beef up a Revo for big bashing? If it's only RPM arms..
Old 10-01-2006, 06:59 AM
Revo Eater

The suspension on the Revo is weak. They hardly ever, well not hardly ever but not very often finish a race without breaking suspension parts. The 3.3 and the 2.5 both suck. You can plan on getting less than 5 gallons of run time out of a Traxxas motor.
They are quite nimble on the track though, until something breaks and it almost always does.
I race every weekend and have seen my share of busted up Revos. It just dosent happen that much with the Savages.
Old 10-01-2006, 08:33 AM
Engofly

Revo is faster, handles better, because lighter, thus more fragil. And it does'nt come as a kit...
Savage is heavier but stronger and it comes as a kit (at leat SS versions).
Old 10-01-2006, 02:37 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Saw a race today, bunch of truggies, couple Savs, and a well-tuned Revo - the Revo was just psycho fast.. Had aluminum arms though and all kinds of stuff.. Was fun to watch though - hitting second just when the truggies were maxxing out - was impressive..
Old 10-01-2006, 03:12 PM
jgeck90

i own a revo rite now and it has more than 5 gallons through it, though i dont drive oftenly (1 or 2 times a week) i have yet to break anything in the 2 years i have had it! like i said i only drive it once or twice a week and weekends i drive at least once, you are thinking, "he babys it" No i dont baby it, i have 5 acres and down the side of the whole property is a drive-way and its a strait-away its nice to max out on, i pin it halve way down the drive way then come back up slower. the revo is awesome! though i think the S-25 will last longer than the revo i would pick the revo, i had a savage-25 back in the day about 3 years ago, its a true beast, its Not a racer! its very heavy too. it is a bit harder than the revo to drive and handle, not because the revo is more popular and because the savage is a true Beast i would pick the revo! again i have had Both the revo IMO is better all around better than the savage.
Jeff
Old 10-01-2006, 03:15 PM
46u

I do not know about others but my Savage Racer 4.6SS has no problem on the long straight at our local track to keep up with or just out pull the Revo 3.3! Like I said if they make a kit with out a radio and engine I would consider one. I am not going to buy one that is RTR and have to through away half of it and start over. I will not buy a RTR Savage either for the same reasons but HPI thinks enough about their users to make kits!

If you get a Revo you need to buy every RPM part made for it so you can just finish a race with out breaking an A arm. Yes they do handle very well and after lots of money can be made fairly durable but never as durable for bashing like a Savage. On the track set up correctly with a good driver they are hard to beat but can be beat as I have done it numerous times.
Old 10-01-2006, 03:32 PM
Revo Eater

ORIGINAL: traxxas_man_05

i own a revo rite now and it has more than 5 gallons through it, though i dont drive oftenly (1 or 2 times a week) i have yet to break anything in the 2 years i have had it! like i said i only drive it once or twice a week and weekends i drive at least once, you are thinking, "he babys it" No i dont baby it, i have 5 acres and down the side of the whole property is a drive-way and its a strait-away its nice to max out on, i pin it halve way down the drive way then come back up slower. the revo is awesome! though i think the S-25 will last longer than the revo i would pick the revo, i had a savage-25 back in the day about 3 years ago, its a true beast, its Not a racer! its very heavy too. it is a bit harder than the revo to drive and handle, not because the revo is more popular and because the savage is a true Beast i would pick the revo! again i have had Both the revo IMO is better all around better than the savage.
Jeff

I beat Revos EVERY weekend with my "not a racer" Savage. I hate to see what a real racer would do to the Revo. It's okay, you bought a toy....get over it.
Old 10-01-2006, 04:01 PM
PillowPants

I really like my REVO 3.3.. It's decked out and de-traxxasified and I knew I'd have to do it even before i bought it, but I still really like it. I'm having a shifting problem right now with it but I think i'm the one to blame for it more than the truck itself is.. installing a FOC before it even saw a tank of gas, etc.. Never was a big fan of my savage. Me and my brother kinda tossed it back and forth, neither of us being too crazy about it. I'd probably take my LST over both of them though. It's treated me well and has came out with minor injuries after enduring some truly stupid stuff.. I hop up the crap out of all of my trucks, so i'm not one to ask for stock vs. stock.. I like to deck them out before they even are fired up in most cases.
Old 10-01-2006, 04:08 PM
PillowPants

ps. RCU isn't the kind of forum for "NO HOLDS BARRED" threads such as this.. encouraging a flamewar..
Old 10-01-2006, 04:25 PM
BigGrump

I own both the Savage SS and Revo. I bought the Revo for my grandsons. Changing to RPM arms is a must. My grandsons drive the REVO like a video game, no quarter given anytime. The Revo is best handling and very durable when driven without any care for taking care of it.

I personally like the Savage more than the REVO. It just seems to be more violent with the Big Block engine (XTm 459) and more "roudy" than the Revo. The Revo is just too refined for me. But, for just plain toughness, good handling, and high tech stuff, the Revo shines.

I think you need to look at you own personality. If you are a little rough, tough and like fire breathing monsters, get the Savage. If you are more of refined, finished person who likes things high tech, then go for the REVO.

Dennis
Old 10-01-2006, 04:25 PM
Rex2342

I'm not sure what you guys are doing to your Revos but my 2.5 Revo was very durable. The damn thing got hit bit a car and was dragged for about 20"! The a-arms and the suspension were all fine. The only real damage was to the chassis and the engine mount. Other than that the only ever damage I got from jumping was the occasional rod end or shock end and I broke a rim once. I'm not defending the Revo and it's no match for my Savage but I don't think it's as weak as everyone is making it out to be.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:44 PM
MiamizFinest

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok its very simple............. i own both............i have a savage x and a revo 3.3............ and honestly the revo is alot better for a track use......... i dont under stand why the hell traxxas did not put a big block in it...............SHOOT I KNOW I DID........at the moment i have the HPI 4.1 engine in it just till i get a better one.............if a revo is raceing at a track and LOOSES TO A SAVAGE then the revo is either really badly prepared or the driver is a complete moron.............if u get both trucks..........and set them up with whatever upgrade and mod possiabley made the revo will always come out on top for track use..............but for str8 bashing jumping over LARGE THINGS and just beating the hell out of it.....the savage will outlast any revo with any mods..............i have both modded like crazy.........trust me i know what im talking about............

Old 10-02-2006, 12:20 AM
46u

I agree with you for the most part but there must be many poorly set up Revo’s out there with morons driving them! Or maybe some have never driven a Savage set up properly for racing.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:06 AM
MiamizFinest

ORIGINAL: 46u

I agree with you for the most part but there must be many poorly set up Revo’s out there with morons driving them! Or maybe some have never driven a Savage set up properly for racing.

i agree 100% if the revo and the driver are not set up right of course a savage set up perfectly would whip it................but a savage and a revo set up PERFECT the revo on the track will always come out on top..............46u ive seen ur truck and i know there is alot of time and money in it and i also know uve beating the revo boys and i congragalte you but let me ask you........what set up are those revos running????? engines,mods, ext......???? im just curouse.........my revo is almost bullet proof after all the stuff that is on it............u know AFTER RIPPING ALL THE TRAXXAS STUFF OFF LOLOLOLOLOLOL
Old 10-02-2006, 01:20 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: traxxas_man_05

i own a revo rite now and it has more than 5 gallons through it, though i dont drive oftenly (1 or 2 times a week) i have yet to break anything in the 2 years i have had it!
I break my Savage, and I broke my Revo when I had it. if you ain't breakin the truck you drive, you're driving like a gramma. lordy, get some AIR with the damn thing.
Old 10-02-2006, 04:26 PM
46u

MiamizFinest there are some running the TM but everyone here on this thread is saying the stock 3.3 out runs the Savage. I do not know other then engine and tires what all sort of hope ups they have. I do know one person is running a center differential. Now if you take them out on the street and run them a block at top speed maybe the 3.3 will go faster but on the track, which is, were I race I have no problem keeping up or better. All so I have my Savage geared quite low because of running on a track and do not have it geared for top speed. Keep in mind I am running a stock engine! Like I said before if they made a kit and did not make you have to buy a RTR just to through half or better away which is ridicules I would consider one. Yes I have see Savage with qualified drivers out run all hopped up Revo’s with qualified driver. Yes it is harder to get a Savage to handle any where as good as a Revo but you can out run them with a Savage. All so keep in mind how much heaver the Savage is. It boils down to personal preference. In the end they are all good and we all are fellow RCers.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:12 PM
MiamizFinest

46u there is no one running a true big block at your track??????
i know for a fact the savage 25 will outrun the revo 3.3.............but after hop ups and hop ups...for track use the revo is a better truck!!!!!!

a agree 46u about considering the revo if they had a kit............the only reson i got mine was becuase i bought it as a roller at a good price if it wasnt for that i wouldnt have one either..........
Old 10-02-2006, 06:45 PM
Chronic

Bigblock? I can see the HPI .25 being relatively easy to control(probably pretty fun too), but have you ever driven a high powered BB Revo around a track? Maybe I just don't have enough trigger time with them to really be able to say... but I think I would stick with a hot smallblock even for club racing with a Revo.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:04 PM
46u

If he is running on a off road track I sure hope he does not run those tires he has in the pictures or a Savage will not have a problem out running him. LOL I am just cutting up.

I am all so surprised as there is a certain person on these forums has not jump head first in to this thread!
Old 10-02-2006, 08:13 PM
MiamizFinest

i never sayed i raced at a local track did i??? no..........so why would anyone even mention my tires???? all i sayed is the revo would be better at a track than a savage.........and the resons why...........next time dont ASUME things............
Old 10-02-2006, 08:41 PM
46u

ORIGINAL: MiamizFinest

i never sayed i raced at a local track did i??? no..........so why would anyone even mention my tires???? all i sayed is the revo would be better at a track than a savage.........and the resons why...........next time dont ASUME things............
I am sorry what part of I am just cutting up did you not understand? I do know one time you had talked about starting to race excuse me! I really thought you where going to say you have two sets of tires if you did race one for racing and one for bashing but I will not try to cut up with you again I am truly sorry and please take a chill pill.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:50 PM
Chronic

ORIGINAL: 46u

I am all so surprised as there is a certain person on these forums has not jump head first in to this thread!
Yeah, I was hoping to hear from some of the hardcore Revo guys on this one.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.