Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

DROPING THE SAVAGE

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 11:05 AM
MiamizFinest

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DROPING THE SAVAGE

ok so i wanna drop the savage about an inch maybe a lil more i wanna leave the truck so that the A-ARMS are leveled all around im planning on puting a peice of fuel tubbing on the shaft to limit the shocks from extending all the way my question is...................to leave the savage with all the A-ARMS leveled how long does the fuel tubeing need to be?????? and also is this the best way to drop the truck a lil bit it seems so ghetto ridged????? even tho ive heard from a few people saying that is the best way

PS i wanna put green springs all around (i like the color and my next body is goin to be green) are the green springs harder than the black ones????? i think i read somewhere they are harder than stock but softer then red????

Old 10-06-2006, 11:35 AM
bam.bam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DROPING THE SAVAGE

A Nova or Fast Lane machines multi-position shock towers would do the trick but then again you have the X so Innovation RC is the only compnay I know that makes towers for the X.
They also have built in mounts for a wing and bracket.
They look real tricked but PRICEY!

http://www.innovative-rc.com/product...roducts_id=108
Old 10-06-2006, 11:41 AM
MiamizFinest

ORIGINAL: bam.bam

A Nova or Fast Lane machines multi-position shock towers would do the trick but then again you have the X so Innovation RC is the only compnay I know that makes towers for the X.
They also have built in mounts for a wing and bracket.
They look real tricked but PRICEY!

http://www.innovative-rc.com/product...roducts_id=108

i saw those tower'shen i was in the process of buying the TVP'S id get them but there so HEAVY i held on the other day at a LHS and honeslty its like strapping 2 bricks to your truck...........so i sayed NO WAY LOL the TVP and engine mount addeds a few ounces already i dont whant any more FAT on my truck!!! thanks for the idea tho!!!!!
Old 10-06-2006, 11:45 AM
Akhor

It will drop 1/2 and inch or more if you take those top shock spacers out.

Easy as pie!

Old 10-06-2006, 12:00 PM
buggymangp

i just rebuilt my shocks with 50w oil.
i was told 35w is what the x came with stock.
i took out those spacers and my truck dropped like he said.
about an inch. i`m going to run like that and see what happens.
maybe get rid of the easy rollover thing.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:01 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

I have one red and one green spring each corner and my A arms are about level. I all so have 10mm limiter spacers in side the shock.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:16 PM
MiamizFinest

ORIGINAL: Akhor

It will drop 1/2 and inch or more if you take those top shock spacers out.

Easy as pie!

yea but when u take the top spacers out its makes the truck easier to roll over since the springs are not being presureized!!!!! (trust me i tryed it)

46u just gave me and idea when i take off the spacers i get the truck at the height i want (but it dont peform well at all) those spacers at the top of the truck are 10 MM so a 10 MM peice of fuel tubeing on this inside of the shaft should be perfect right???? anyone have any thoughts about that?????? after i do that i will put the top spacers back on that way the springs are nice and hard!!!!! im looking for street performance
Old 10-06-2006, 12:38 PM
Akhor

Actually, removing those spacers will NOT make the vehicle more likely to roll over. Since it lowers the center of gravity, it increases the stability of the vehicle. Pure mathamatics will tell you this is logic does not.

However when in turns and coming out of turns the body of the truck will be affected by more body roll then without the spacers due to the added pressure.

All in all.. I would never drive with them in again. The positives WAYYYY out weigh the negatives in my opinion.

I hate having to run and flip over my savage.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:19 PM
Chronic

If you want to keep the stock towers you either need to go with the internal limiters or just pick up some shorter shocks. The stock ones aren't know for being the best around anyway. You can pick up some CEN Genesis shocks off Ebay for about $20 a pair. You only need four of them(one on each corner) and they come with springs that will be very stiff under a Savage... which is what you want for running on smooth hard surfaces with high bite. Just an idea. I've always run the internal limiters in stock shocks, but my Savage will be pimping LST shocks this build.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:37 PM
46u

I have never run with out the preload spacers, as I would be worried about the possibility of the bottom spring retainer coming off on a big jump while in the air or landing if it bounced and put me out of a race. Not saying it would but with out the preload I think it is possible.
Old 10-06-2006, 03:13 PM
savagelover

ORIGINAL: MiamizFinest

ok so i wanna drop the savage about an inch maybe a lil more i wanna leave the truck so that the A-ARMS are leveled all around im planning on puting a peice of fuel tubbing on the shaft to limit the shocks from extending all the way my question is...................to leave the savage with all the A-ARMS leveled how long does the fuel tubeing need to be?????? and also is this the best way to drop the truck a lil bit it seems so ghetto ridged????? even tho ive heard from a few people saying that is the best way

PS i wanna put green springs all around (i like the color and my next body is goin to be green) are the green springs harder than the black ones????? i think i read somewhere they are harder than stock but softer then red????

what tvps are those? are they extended?
Old 10-06-2006, 03:51 PM
46u

Easy to tell they are extented. Look at all the room between the fuel tank and shock tower.
Old 10-06-2006, 04:33 PM
savagelover

what tvps are they tho? i would like to get a set when i figure out what brand they are
Old 10-06-2006, 05:17 PM
MiamizFinest

they are made by FLM there extend 1.6 inches a user on this site warned me (46u) about the turn raduis and guy what.............THE TURNING SUCKS LOLOLOLOL i dont mind since im not raceing with it but if you are DONT GET THEM if its just for fun then go for it......... how long are those inturnal spacers u guys are useing?
Old 10-06-2006, 06:24 PM
Rex2342

The fuel tubing method is the cheapest and the easiest way to lower it. If I can remember I used 1/2" pieces of tubing to lower mine. It's been a while since I did mine so I'm not 100% sure. Just cut some tubing down and mount the shocks dry to be sure you get the desired height. The Nova towers and 1/8 buggy shocks are popular but it's also expensive and you run the risk of bending the aluminum towers.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:29 PM
46u

The only problem with using regular nitro fuel line is it breaks down or should I say swells up in the shock oil. I am using a set of the rubber bumpers that are for the out side as limiters and so far seem to be holding up well. Will be change oil in about a month so I will check then.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:08 PM
savage64

idk about the savage x but the 25 rtr comes with 15-20wt oil in the shocks. 50wt might be a tab heavy unless u run on the streets...
Old 10-07-2006, 08:48 AM
Rex2342

I've been using fuel tubing for a very long time and have never had a problem. It was one of the first mods recommended when the Savage21 was released. I've had my Savage21 since it's release and did the mod a few weeks later. I've only changed the tubing out once and that was only because I swapped shocks. 50wt fluid may be to heavy for the stock shocks. I tried 40wt once and the body split at the seam on the first jump. If your not jumping you might be alright but what good is a savage if you can't jump it?
Old 10-07-2006, 09:17 AM
burnchassis3

Use ZIP TIES to zip the arms to the main frame.
You can lower it as much as you want till it hits the ground,and then you can remove it by just cuttin the zip ties off.
Quick,and easy,plus flexibility.
CS