Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > HPI Monster Truck Forum
Reload this Page >

well so far I seem to have got my Savage going fine

Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

well so far I seem to have got my Savage going fine

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 02:18 PM
londonandlawosn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default well so far I seem to have got my Savage going fine

With the help of a member here, thanks, but it wont wheelie at all. It has a .28 engine and a 49 tooth spur gear. The guy who helped me said it should but wheeling like crazy and much faster.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:53 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: well so far I seem to have got my Savage going fine

You did not say what CB you have but it should pop wheelies with out a problem if you have the engine tuned properly and all else is correct. All so what clutch shoes are you running? Is the slipper tighten all they way down? If not needs to be.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:56 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

with a good clutch, a pipe, and 18/47 gearing you should be wheelieing to the point of annoyance. does it bog at all?
Old 10-17-2006, 02:59 PM
londonandlawosn

I assume its the stock clutch shoes and bell. What exactly is the slipper?
Old 10-17-2006, 03:04 PM
-SomeGuy-

If the settings are fine then a .28 powered savage should be having a hard time keeping its wheels on the ground. I dont know what could be wrong but its not the trucks fault. There are many factors that will allow you to do wheelies such as: light weight tires, a properly tuned engine that has no air leaks, low gearing fastened down tightly, well adjusted tranny, just to name a few.

Can you tell us more about the engine? Like what brand is it, how many tanks/gallons has it seen, does it run hot? Maybe you have a really slow servo that is not opening up the throttle fast enough? Maybe you have really big and heavy tires. Maybe you have a low % fuel or maybe its not good anymore. maybe you have a loose nut on the spur gear. maybe you are trying on a loose dirt type surface and not getting enough grip.

Can you take a bunch of close up pics and post them or at least give us a small list of whats in the truck like electronics and such?
I'll admit im not the most knowledgeable one in the forum but i try to help as much as i can so maybe others will have more to input but im sure that your truck will be a wheelie machine soon enough, we just need as much info as possible since we cant see it ourselves and test it out to try and determine whats wrong with it.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:08 PM
londonandlawosn

JR xs3 electronics, aftermarket pipe, SH .28 engine, it has been lowered. The engine has been broke in, I bought it used.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:22 PM
DaveG55

With that engine and a good pipe that truck should wheelie soooo much you'll want it to stop. Having it lowered may make it a bit harder but still, it should be able to whenever you want it too.
Try tightning the slipper all the way down then back off 1/8 turn. The slipper clutch is a part of the spur gear. Tighten the nut in the center of the spur all the way down and back it off 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn.
I've got a Mach.26 with a stock pipe, stock clutch and a stock slipper and it wheelies BIG on demand. Also, are you sure your tuning is right? Especially the LSN?
Old 10-17-2006, 03:24 PM
londonandlawosn

No I am not sure about the tuning at all, I am a complete noob at this. It seems like it sucks the nitro like crazy, how long is a tank supposed to last? And I have no clue about the settings on my transciever.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:23 PM
londonandlawosn

Well it was going ok, then it seems as if something is slipping or not catching. It was driving on the street but I pull in the grass and it wasn't going. I lifted it off the ground and it appeared the wheels would spin. I am about tempted to sell it if it will always be like this.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:30 PM
MAMMOTH TOUGH

if you want to sell I want dibs
Old 10-17-2006, 07:33 PM
londonandlawosn

What would you offer? It has the SH .28 engine and a xtm 247, an extra set of rims/tires(Dirtbonz brand), an upgraded reciever/transciever
http://www.maxxtraxxusa.com/JR_XS3_R...ransmitter.cfm

also a glowplug ignitor, a rotostart but it needs a charger.
Old 10-21-2006, 11:22 PM
abjones413

Dude! Don't give up hope yet londonandlawosn. Seriously!

That truck is hooked UP! You just need to calm down and read a bit more on tuning and such. First off, grab a fresh quart or gallon of 20% nitro (I use Traxxas Top Fuel 20% nitro and my truck rips) and a brand new O.S. #8 (med/hot) glow plug. You can NOT properly tune an engine if either of these elements are no good! You should be able to easily get these items at ANY hobby shop.
Here's a link to Tower Hobbies to get a better understanding of the various heat ranges. http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCB27&P=ML

This is from the comments section:
R5 Coolest
A5 Med Cool
#8 Med Hot
A3 Hottest

I am on my work computer, so I don't have ALL my R/C bookmarks, but here's a start. It should be all you need...
Watch and read up bud. You'll be rippin' in no time!!!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=oSmMzpZM_...elated&search=

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BJFsJAxNo...elated&search=

http://66.226.4.160/tuningyourengine.asp

http://www.*********.org/cars_troubleshooting.htm

Good luck bro-ham...
Old 10-27-2006, 12:49 AM
larkup25

I agree don't give up, I have the same engine in my truck 18/47 gearing, BIG wheelies and goes like a rocket. If the truck is not movig on the ground you may have burnt out a slipper clutch pad, I don't race my truck so I have my slipper done up tight. If it is burnt out (lets just hope its not a gearbox or diff problem)you will have to replace it asap and would be a good time to get to know your truck a little better. A manual is valuable, you can download from hpi. My carb settings (although may not be ultimate just yet as i'm stell messing with glow plugs and tuning)
High speed needle 3.5 turns out (turn srew all the way in not too tight, you may damage it, then turn out 3 and a half times)
This may be a little rich but should get you going no problem.
Low speed needle is flush with slide body.
Like abjones413 says get some new fuel and glow plug/s, a temprature gauge can also aid in tuning as engine temprature is crtical.
Hope this helps I'm no expert just going on personal experience.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75298.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	549104