Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

RED THREADLOCKER

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 08:53 PM
magictrev

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RED THREADLOCKER

I have 1 bolt that keeps coming out, I keep using blue threadlocker but it still comes out. Could I use red (permanent strength) on this 1 bolt or am I asking for trouble?
trev
Old 10-23-2006, 08:55 PM
benzzyo5

Default RE: RED THREADLOCKER

which bolt is it
Old 10-23-2006, 09:15 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: benzzyo5

which bolt is it
Good question. Knowing which bolt is critical especially if you need to take that bolt off again for maintenance and repair reasons.

If its it Z613 that screw into the alum square shaped chassis braces that are scred under the engine mount plate, I guess using red on them is okay. Those come off all the time from the amount of engine vibrations. I too have problems with those coming off all the time. Before doing anything this drastic, I would check the alum braces and make sure it is not a thread problem that is causing the screws to come out. If they have effectively lost their threads, thread lock, no matter what color, will work. Even JB Weld will eventually fail if the threads are gone.

Now, if the the screw that keeps coming out is either Z632 or Z567, thread lock will no help at all since these scres are coming out because the plastic pieces they screw into have basically lost their threads. This is way simple to fix; replace the plastic part that they screw into. You can put a drop of thick CA into the problematic plastic hole, but this is only a band-aid. The screw will eventually back out again.

Another bolt that likes to come out often (again from engine vibration) is Z792. These are the hex bolts that bolt the engine mount to the engine mount plate. Once you get your engine in proper position such that your mesh is correct, thighten these screws down as hard as you can with you hands. Then, tighten them down a further 8th turn with pliers. This will gauranty they will never come out. When you need to do maintenance such that it requires removing the engine mount, you will have to use pliers again to lossen the Z792s.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:21 PM
magictrev

Its a M4by15mm that goes into the integry chassis brace bar ( looks like running boards on the truck ) i also did swap out the stock plastic piece and replace it with the metal ones so it is metal to metal, and its the one closest to the engine. I dont think you need to take that bolt out to often
trev
Old 10-23-2006, 10:42 PM
MiamizFinest

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OMG the red thread lock is permenent!!!!!!!!!!!!! oh man i might never be able to take the engine off my revo ever again.................................is there any way to take it off?????????? sorry i dont mean to highjack the thread
Old 10-23-2006, 10:45 PM
bennyblanco

DEE DEE DEE!!
ORIGINAL: MiamizFinest

OMG the red thread lock is permenent!!!!!!!!!!!!! oh man i might never be able to take the engine off my revo ever again.................................is there any way to take it off?????????? sorry i dont mean to highjack the thread
Old 10-23-2006, 10:45 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Heat will loosen up loctite. I use a small butane torch like the crack heads use. Heat the head of the bolt well and it should come out.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:48 PM
MiamizFinest

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: savage.27

DEE DEE DEE!!
ORIGINAL: MiamizFinest

LOL yes today i em the DEE DEE DEE.......LOL

u used the locktie on the engine mount so its metal to metal ..........the day i wanna take it off ill make sure i got my torche in hand LOL
Old 10-24-2006, 06:38 PM
speedfreak1234

i use a small drop of red threadlock on all my metal to metal screws but not to much cos then they become very hard to get out and can end up rounding out the head.