Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Q's About My First kit : Savage X SS

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 07:25 PM
MoronOnWings

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q's About My First kit : Savage X SS

ok, i have decided to go with the Savage X SS kit but i have a few questions as what i will need.

1) i know i will need a remote and servos, so i found this (link is fixed and it works, just give it a second, its a slow loading site):

http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/produc...231e9b2a62ff33

and i was wondering if this was A) a good deal and B) what could i use the servos that come with it for? will they work for steering and throttle or will i need to get annother for steering? if i need annother please make a suggestion . also if you have any other preferences please tell me, im open for anything (only thing is it cant be much more expensive than that).

2) does it come with reverse and what kind of servo will i need to buy for that if i want to buy reverse after (presuming its not included)?

3) what kind of batterys will i need, where can i find them on the net, will they be encased, do they come with a charger (if needed), and how much do they cost?

4) ive been annoying my dad because i keep on taking his tools, so im planning to get me my own tool kit, are there any suggestions to what is good and what isnt? i was thinking about the dynamite tool kit that ThunderbirdJunkie suggested in his "READ THIS before you even THINK about starting your RTR" thread. and maybe also that wrench and loctite.

5) what else will i need to get it up and running?

im planning to get the savage 25 wheels and either a 1969 charger or a 1970 plymouth hemi cuda shell with it, all help is appreciated very much

also, please mention if i missed anything, THX
MoW
Old 10-29-2006, 08:47 PM
poe

Default RE: Q's About My First kit : Savage X SS

1) Check your link, it does not work.
2) no it does not come with reverse.
3) you will "need" a hump pack.
4) Snap ons are always good, dynamites look good too.
5) sounds like your good to go.

Search "savage hump pack"
Old 10-29-2006, 09:06 PM
MoronOnWings

ok i think an admin has to check the link so im going to post it with a space and then just try to copy paste both segments into the browser...

rcmart.com/catalog/product_info3.php?cPath=421_36_47&products_id=6079&osCsid=b3ca90a1ad85d4c3b9231e9b2a62ff33

just try pasting the segment into the browser and put a www. infront...
i dont know how often admins check so thats the other way you can do it
Old 10-29-2006, 09:10 PM
MoronOnWings

also, what is good for mAH? i found some with 1400 and some with less

also, what servo is needed for the reverse module and is this one good? (same trick as used above)

http://
cgi.
ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320000893636&category=44028
Old 10-29-2006, 09:17 PM
poe

1400 should be fine and have good runtimes. Thats what i have and it will last about 4-5 tanks i think. You links still dont work.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:47 PM
MoronOnWings

even after copy paste, with no spaces(because if u highlight the whole row there is a space put in after the end of it)?
Old 10-29-2006, 09:50 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

1400 mah usually lasts me just fine in my Savage, but I have a somewhat weak steering servo (only about 140 oz-in). I'd suggest getting 1600s anyway.

I don't suggest EVER getting ANYTHING from RC Mart unless you own a Tamiya. even then, it's still questionable

as for the wheels/tires, I just keep buying new take-off RTR Savage X wheels/tires, and they keep workin till i tear em up, LOL. the S-25 wheels are only 14mm, and they WILL strip out.

anyway, you should be able to cover your electronics for $200 US total. I like the Futaba 3PM, but most of the 3 channel budget FM computer radios will suit you fine, most likely.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:51 PM
MoronOnWings

try this one for remote/servos (takes a second to load but i tested it and it works):
http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/produc...231e9b2a62ff33
this one for the reverse:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=44028
Old 10-29-2006, 11:50 PM
azzman

You could always splash out and get a Spektrum DX3 with servos and an extra reciever for $250 http://www.redrockethobbies.com/Spek...p/spm2030f.htm
Old 10-30-2006, 07:19 AM
MoronOnWings

could both of those servos be used for steering and throttle? cause thats a bit on the expensive side
also, is it better than the one i had in mind?
Old 10-30-2006, 05:42 PM
MoronOnWings

i just clicked on one of those commercial banners they have here floating arround rcu, the site is cheapbatterypacks.com and i was just wondering if one of those custom oacks would work and what cells, plugs and wires i would need if they do work
Old 10-30-2006, 06:36 PM
Surfrider

ORIGINAL: MoronOnWings

could both of those servos be used for steering and throttle? cause thats a bit on the expensive side
also, is it better than the one i had in mind?
The DX3 is one of the best on the market. Yes it is pricey, but it has so many features I think its worth it. Keep in mind it comes with 2 receivers if you ever get another truck. One thing I really like is the fact the TX antenna is only about 5in in length. The RX can be cut down to 3.6in and fits inside the body of my Savage.

Depends what you want to spend, I suppose. It does come with two servos which should suffice for bashing, but you might want to consider a better steering servo if youre doing anything serious or demand the best performance.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:47 PM
MoronOnWings

so the servos are good for starters, which is plenty for now, also could someone infrom me about that cheapbatterypacks.com though, is it worth it?
Old 10-31-2006, 03:20 AM
a8man

Get cheap batterypacks here:
maxamps.com -----search for savage
$10 for a 1400mah and you pick the plug
Old 10-31-2006, 11:03 AM
Surfrider

Yes, the standard servos that come with the Spektrum pack should suffice for bashing / starters. They are certainly better than the stock HPI servos that come with the X RTR. I would rather have the top of the line radio with medium grade servos rather than a mediocre radio with medium grade servos, which is all for the same price.

Cant help you with that cheapbatterypacks.com website.

I bought the following FYI:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P?&I=LXNMD7
Ofna 5-Cell 1600mAh Receiver Pack Hump

Perhaps a little overkill, but I have some serious servos that need the extra juice.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:54 PM
Chronic

ORIGINAL: Surfrider

Yes, the standard servos that come with the Spektrum pack should suffice for bashing / starters. They are certainly better than the stock HPI servos that come with the X RTR. I would rather have the top of the line radio with medium grade servos rather than a mediocre radio with medium grade servos, which is all for the same price.
I disagree to some extent. A premium steering servo is worth it's weight in gold when it comes to a Savage. If I was faced with either running a cheaper steering servo or a cheaper radio... I would tend to recommend the cheaper radio, as long as we were still talking about at least a decent synthesized FM setup that is. Other than fine adjustments and extra secondary features, we are basically discussing superior signal transmission when comparing different radios... what good is a slightly better signal(you woudn't notice) when that signal is being sent to a servo that isn't up to the task?

I see your logic, as upgrading servos down the road is easier than upgrading the TX/RX, but I believe the superior performance would be seen by concentrating more on high-end servos.

The servos that come with the Spektrum have similar specs to the RTR Savage servos. They are better quality and have a greater chance of living up to those specs, but they really aren't that much better.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:25 PM
Surfrider

ORIGINAL: Chronic

ORIGINAL: Surfrider

I disagree to some extent. A premium steering servo is worth it's weight in gold when it comes to a Savage. If I was faced with either running a cheaper steering servo or a cheaper radio... I would tend to recommend the cheaper radio, as long as we were still talking about at least a decent synthesized FM setup that is. Other than fine adjustments and extra secondary features, we are basically discussing superior signal transmission when comparing different radios... what good is a slightly better signal(you woudn't notice) when that signal is being sent to a servo that isn't up to the task?

I see your logic, as upgrading servos down the road is easier than upgrading the TX/RX, but I believe the superior performance would be seen by concentrating more on high-end servos.

The servos that come with the Spektrum have similar specs to the RTR Savage servos. They are better quality and have a greater chance of living up to those specs, but they really aren't that much better.
I think you misunderstood me Chronic. I was under the assumption he didnt have an unlimited budget. Given what he has been considering, it seemed a big slew of mediocre equipment (radio & servos), but at that exact same price he could buy the DX3. That is all I was suggesting. But, as he said he just wanted to get started so the DX3 premium radio and servos it comes with sounded like a better plan IMHO.

Otherwise, he will have to consider spending even more money to go premium radio AND premium servo (steering).

At the end of the day, I looked at my radio as an investement; it should be lasting longer than my truck(s) and servos.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:06 PM
MoronOnWings

ok well as long as theyre better than stock, that way its already better =). anyway that seems like the best solution. i can always upgrade later and i dont have an unlimited budget. does anyone know if all of the shock fluids and diff fluids are included or are those even pre assembled?

also about the servos, im not planning on recing...yet... so i dont need some uber good ones, i just dont want utter crap
Old 10-31-2006, 08:29 PM
MoronOnWings

also, how do these look?

http://www.jespares.com/catalog/prod...oducts_id=2787

i hate screws with the + or -, so if these are any good (and include all that u need) then i might go for them.