Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

HELP! cant get my savage to start

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 07:38 PM
v-man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! cant get my savage to start

i have a savage and im new to rc cars. i bought this truck the other day and it worked awsome. i went out later to start it again after i ran a good 2 tanks of gas threw it and it wouldnt start. i took the glo plug out and turned it over a few times with the roto start to maybe get some gas out thinking it was flooded. that didnt seem to work so i heated the piston and cylinder up with a hair dryer because i new that the piston gets stuck at top dead center cause its very tight when there new but that didnt seem to work.. i just cant figure out what else to do to try and get this thing started. if you have any suggestions let me know please. thanks
Old 10-30-2006, 08:30 PM
MAMMOTH TOUGH

Default RE: HELP! cant get my savage to start

is the motor actualy turning over or is the rotostart just spining and the motor isnt?....or is it turning ver and just not starting?
Old 10-30-2006, 08:36 PM
benzzyo5

is the glow plug bad? put a fresh one in. also make sure the ignitor is charged.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:23 PM
v-man

the glo plug is fine cause i pull it out of the motor and put it in the ignitor and it glows right away so i know its not that and i di try my spare just to make sure.. also to the other reply the roto start wil just stop and not keep turing the motor over, the piston gets stuck at the top of the cylinder and the roto start will not turn it over, it just blows the little breaker on the rotostart. im not sure what it is and i have tried pulling the glo plug and then turning the motor over just to clear fuel out of the cylinder. also with the glo plug out the moto turns over fine using the rotostart. any other ideas?
Old 10-30-2006, 10:23 PM
fxrs

Are you primming it ?
Old 10-30-2006, 10:25 PM
rdmonster

You might also turn it completely over to dump fuel out of the motor. I've had mine stay flooded when I just turn it over with the plug out. Just an idea...good luck.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:29 PM
-SomeGuy-

Check the one way bearing, i had this problem once and i found that the bearing had a crack on one side, without the plug it was fine but with it in it would jam up. Also you could loosen the plug about half a turn to reduce pressure in the engine, once it starts tighten it back up. Let us know how that works out.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:37 PM
v-man

i havent tried to turn it upside down to let the fuel out but i do turn it over a few times to make sure i get alot of fuel out but i will try that.

i am also priming it but lately i havent been i just want the piston to move right now even without it being primed. the piston just gets stuck at top dead center and i want it to just just keep turning over. i keep the glo plug in it just to brun up the fuel maybe in the cylinder but it keeps getting stuck and my battery in my roto start is fully charged.

the motor just gets stuck at the top of the cylinder and then pops the breaker on the rotostart cause it wont move. i have to spin the shaft on the roto start to break it loose from being stuck but then when i hit the rotostart again it gets stuck again.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:41 PM
v-man

alright ill try loosing off the glo plug.. how would i check them barrings too?
Old 10-30-2006, 10:44 PM
-SomeGuy-

I assume the engine is an s-25 so the bearing is in the rotostart back plate, take it off and have a look. Unfotunately you have to either remove the engine or the back end, up to you.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:47 PM
v-man

what would be the easiest to do, remove the back or motor, cause im new to these things so i would like to know the easiest safest way,
Old 10-31-2006, 12:37 PM
lonewolf4006

Take your glow plug out, drop a few drops of after run oil in. It sounds like your motor is really tight. After you put the oil in turn the motor over a few times, this should fix your problem....
Old 10-31-2006, 12:43 PM
v-man

alright ill give it a few drops then ill try to fire it up.. thanks
Old 10-31-2006, 01:02 PM
-SomeGuy-

ORIGINAL: v-man

what would be the easiest to do, remove the back or motor, cause im new to these things so i would like to know the easiest safest way,
Removing the engine would be easier, just make sure you remove the engine from the engine mount, this way you can avoid having to mesh it again. If you have it geared low then the engine screws can end up under the TVPs on one side making it impossible to remove so this is where its easier to remove the rear of the truck to avoid the meshing again. For this remove the back wheels then remove the lower screw of the inside shocks (the one on the lower arm) this way you can lift the shock to get to the other screws. Now all you need to do is remove the 3 screws on each side closest to the rear and it will come off. You need to pry the TVPs a little but it should fall out on its own, unless you have a center skid but that should be obvious enough. Just make sure you put the dog bone back in when you put it back together, i dont how many times i got distracted by something and found myself having to take it back apart to put the dog bone back in[:@]. Now you can prop up your truck on one of the wheels you took off and check the one way bearing.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:08 PM
v-man

thanks for all the help guys. i think it might of just been a bad battery in my rotostart cause i charged it and it lost full charge after only about 15 starts this time.. so i think thats what it is. so ill get a new battery and let u know if it fixed the problem.. thanks
Old 10-31-2006, 02:39 PM
benzzyo5

pre-heat the motor so it doesn't get stuck