Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Batteries

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 02:07 PM
SpikeX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Batteries

I will soon be buying a hump pack for my Savage. I was thinking of the LRP VTEC 1400mAh 6V Hump Pack. Is this a good choice, and how many tanks can a 1400mAh pack go through before recharging? Also, I need a hump pack charger, just a small, cheap overnight one. Any suggestions?

And finally, can someone tell me what equipment I need to be able to charge the hump pack from inside the car, possibly with pictures?

Thanks in advance.

SORRY GUYS - THERE WAS A PROBLEM AND MY THREAD WAS POSTED TWICE!
Old 10-31-2006, 02:09 PM
a8man

Default RE: Batteries

I cant direct you in terms of charging but for the hump pack I got mine from here and its great. Probably 6-7 tanks before charging. Oh and you pick your plug at this site.

maxamps.com ----search for savage
Old 10-31-2006, 02:17 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

You only get 6 or 7 tanks before you have to charge? A lot has to do with what servo you have as higher torque servos use up more energy. I have a 200oz servo and I get no less then 1 ½ quarts of run time with a 1200 pack.

As far as finding a cheap over night charger you should be able to go to any RC store web site and find that. I use my peak charger to charge my packs that range from 1100 to 1400 and it takes about an hour.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:22 PM
SpikeX

The problem is finding an overnight charger with the right plugs. Most charges are too powerful and can only charge 7+ cell battery packs.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:43 PM
amwhite2005

I use this charger. 1 Hour per 100 mAh. eg. 1200mAh takes 12 hours.
Fraid its a UK site. But probably much the same over there.

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/?CallFun...on&ItemID=1702

It says 4.8V, but I have it and it works with 6V. It will also charge you Tx if you have a compatible one.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:54 PM
46u

Being your voltages over there are different then here I cannot help you with a charger. They are no problem get the right one here. Good luck.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:41 PM
SpikeX

Can someone tell me what equipment I need to be able to charge my hump pack directly from the truck, possibly with pictures?
Old 10-31-2006, 03:45 PM
amwhite2005

If you have the stock radio, this should do.

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/?CallFun...n&ItemID=24259

If not, then there are some other switches here.

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/?CallFun..._string=switch

The 2 Fastrax ones and a Hitec. (I dont know if you have Fastrax in Germany?)
Old 10-31-2006, 03:49 PM
Chronic

Like A8man said, check out Maxamps.com. I bought two of their 1400mah Savage packs and with it shipping it was $30. I'm now running one of their packs on my LST2 and I'm going to order a couple for my Mad Force next. The wiring they use seems to be pretty good quality and like already mentioned, you can get any type plug you want on the packs.

As for the charger, come off of a little more money and buy a decent peak charger. Something like [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXAVN1&P=0]THIS (click here)[/link]

That is AC/DC so you can also use it in the car. It will handle all of the batteries you might need to charge for one of these things and it's reasonably priced. I'm not really recommending that specific charger though, and most companies offer something comparable. Instead of getting one little charger that takes all night to charge the hump pack, you could charge your glow ignitor, rotostart battery, and hump pack all in a fraction of that time.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:34 PM
Surfrider

ORIGINAL: SpikeX

Can someone tell me what equipment I need to be able to charge my hump pack directly from the truck, possibly with pictures?
The more mAh, the better (in a nutshell). I have a Ofna 1400 pack on my X RTR and it has never died on me before finishing long sessions. I recently purchased an Ofna 1600 mAh Hump Pack for my X SS and have no complaints. http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P?&I=LXNMD7

For a charger jack, I purchased the following from Tower Hobbies:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P?&I=LXH462

This allows you to replace your standard RCVR box switch and leads with a Input / Output with a charge lead. You can then attach the charge lead to the cover of your X RTR or X SS RCVR box lid. There is a small square hole covered by a rubber seal. Remove the seal to charge and voila... easy. There is instructions in the back of the X SS manual under options to tell you how to do it. There should be two pieces of plasic that you used to hold the connector in place and its all fastened together with two screws into the plastic RCVR box lid.

I cant download the manual here at work, but here is the link: http://www.hpieurope.com/instructions.php?lang=en
Old 10-31-2006, 04:44 PM
46u

ORIGINAL: Chronic

Like A8man said, check out Maxamps.com. I bought two of their 1400mah Savage packs and with it shipping it was $30. I'm now running one of their packs on my LST2 and I'm going to order a couple for my Mad Force next. The wiring they use seems to be pretty good quality and like already mentioned, you can get any type plug you want on the packs.

As for the charger, come off of a little more money and buy a decent peak charger. Something like [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXAVN1&P=0]THIS (click here)[/link]

That is AC/DC so you can also use it in the car. It will handle all of the batteries you might need to charge for one of these things and it's reasonably priced. I'm not really recommending that specific charger though, and most companies offer something comparable. Instead of getting one little charger that takes all night to charge the hump pack, you could charge your glow ignitor, rotostart battery, and hump pack all in a fraction of that time.
Will that charger work over seas on 220 with out an converter?