Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

should i let my cousin get a revo or not

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 10:04 PM
savycharlie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should i let my cousin get a revo or not

My cousin wants to get a revo 2.5 and at one point i did to but i read nothing good of those trucks. Should i tell him not to get one and get a savage?
Old 11-04-2006, 10:12 PM
savagecommander

Default RE: should i let my cousin get a revo or not

he can get one if he wants to join the sissy club...
Old 11-04-2006, 10:34 PM
savycharlie

Ya ur right i am not lettin him get one. The savage is the only one.
Old 11-04-2006, 11:12 PM
-whitey-

true dat
Old 11-05-2006, 12:01 AM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: savagecommander

he can get one if he wants to join the sissy club...
LOL

I say it depends on what he wants to do. For bashing, Savage all the way. Even for bashing on a track, the Savage will take licks and keep on going. It is a total tank on the race track. On the down side (at least in stock form), it is not as nimble and zippy as a Revo. Revo is a light weight quick handling truck that a stock Savage is not (at least when comparing both in stock form). The Revo will not take licks as well as the Savage unless you upgrade it. A Savage will ususally finish a rough and tumble race in which hacks constantly bump, ram, and puch others into each other and into obstacles where as the Revo will risk throwing its spindly suspension arms. This is why most Revo racers upgrade the arms with GPM or other quality upgrade arms.

I am personbally biased towards Savage, so I say Savage. The Revo fellows in the Trazzas (Revo and T-Mazz) forum will definitely say otherwise. They know how to toughen up their Revos to stand up to the rigors of racing and even Savage-like bashing(this requires some heavy upgrades though).
Old 11-05-2006, 12:18 AM
-whitey-

i once went wot into a lamp post just bounced right off it and continued like nothing happend.
Old 11-05-2006, 04:33 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

I've noticed that a lot of people discriminate unfairly against the Revo because of the T-maxx being a pile of crap.

the Revo is a great truck that needs to shed its garbage engine and electronics. then, and only then, is it a good truck...but it's a VERY good truck, and the electronics aren't as bad as even *I* make them out to be (but make no mistake, they SUCK)

IMO, Savage vs Revo, 6 in one, half a dozen in the other. the Savage doesn't handle as well as a Revo (in box stock form), has CRAPPY brakes, and an awful clutch. the Revo has an awful engine. they both have crappy servos and radios
Old 11-05-2006, 07:29 AM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

I've noticed that a lot of people discriminate unfairly against the Revo because of the T-maxx being a pile of crap.

the Revo is a great truck that needs to shed its garbage engine and electronics. then, and only then, is it a good truck...but it's a VERY good truck, and the electronics aren't as bad as even *I* make them out to be (but make no mistake, they SUCK)

IMO, Savage vs Revo, 6 in one, half a dozen in the other. the Savage doesn't handle as well as a Revo (in box stock form), has CRAPPY brakes, and an awful clutch. the Revo has an awful engine. they both have crappy servos and radios
I'd have to agree here. The Savage has POS for brakes, even the dual disc brakes suck. I went to the store and saw a Revo replacement brake set for $7 and noticed that the pads actually look like brake pads on a real car. Compared to the replacement pads of the dual dic costing $6, the Revo pads are better. I bought a set for the hell of it, but I am now considering trying to mod my Savage to employ them. The HPI dual disc pads with nothing more than gasket material is not that great for me. It either stops your truck too hard and you turn it turtle as you somersault forward or they wear down too quickly and you lose all braking power.

Now as for the engine, I too would chunk the 2.5 or the 3.3 and go with an OS .18 TZ (I already have a .18TZ). Other Revo racers prefer the .18TM, which is okay too. My friends race their Revos and have great fun and actually win with OS .18 engines. If Trazzas would ever sell the Revo as a kit without engine and electronics, I would so get one. I'm even considering shopping online to see if someone has a roller Revo for cheap. If it's beat up, I'll fiz it.

Check out this following link to the Trazzas forum. This is what a Revo should look like stock from the boz:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4956787/tm.htm
Old 11-05-2006, 10:46 AM
DaveG55

I've got both. Both are really nice trucks and your cousin will do fine with either. As a matter of fact, if you have a stock Savage 25 and he gets a Revo 2.5 he will out run and out handle you. One other thing to consider, the Revo comes with reverse, yeah, some don't like it but some (like me) do and it's $35 extra (plus a servo) on the Savage. It also comes with a rechargable rx pack and a charger for it as well as enough suspension parts to customize the handling some. With the Savage that stuff is extra too. So, to get the Savage to an apples-to-apples point, you'll have to spend at least another hundred bucks.
TBJ and SavageJim have given you fair advice. The others, well that's not really advice...just "mine is better" which doesn't really help you that much.
Old 11-05-2006, 02:50 PM
azzman

I agree, I seriously considered the Revo before I got my Savage, just went for the best basher really. I have seen a Revo down at the local track and it went nicely, even with the stock 2.5 engine, he had upgraded the arms and a few other things. But then I have upgraded a few things on the Savage also...
Old 11-06-2006, 12:22 AM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

I would consider a Revo if they made it in a kit with out the radio and engine. I just do not do RTR, as there is so much that has to be replaced. I would say if you are going to race get the Revo and if you are going to bash get the Savage. Main thing is just have fun!

I personally have never had a problem with the dual disc brakes that came with my 4.6 SS and have worked great for the past 6 plus gallons and still have the stock pads. I know most say they do not last but I have no complaint. I all so had my first differential problem to day and it was not the gears but the bearings.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:53 PM
MiamizFinest

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have both.............................................. ..........GET THE SAVAGE!!!!!!

the REVO IS AWSOME personally i like the REVO MORE THAN THE SAVAGE............. but me revo has NOTING left on the truck that is stock..........everything is after market or "high grade" the savage u jsut take it out of the box and GO the REVO take alot of work!!!!!! if ur cuzin can afford it tell him to get the LOSI MUGGY i enjoyed this truck so much it handles SO MUCH BETTER THAN BOTH the savage and the revo and this weekend there was not a single truck that was able to outrun my muggy!!!!

here some pics of how my trucks are looking!!!!!

Old 11-06-2006, 05:16 PM
savagecommander

like i said.....
Old 11-12-2006, 11:20 AM
tn rc bug

Advantages both ways.
If he buys a Revo, then you can both have different vehicles and keep it interesting.
If he also buys a savvy there is a convenience factor (instant hobby shop if he has spares you need & vice versa).
My son-in-law and I are always swapping spare parts when we go bashing.