Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Savage suspension set up questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 09:52 PM
rubixcube

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage suspension set up questions

I have a savage, and wondering what is a good suspension set up for bashing, and getting some good air? I have the 8 stock shocks with 30wt oil, and black springs on them at the moment. I bent some shock shafts today, and wonder where I can find some titanium shafts at?

Does anyone run with the hpi aluminum shock bodied shocks, or another alum shock bodied shocks? If so, do you think they would help eliminate bent shock shafts? The stock plasic shocks seem to me, like they could flex, and possibly cause a bent shaft. But this was the first time driving my savage. I bought a used one, in pretty good shape. I must say, I am impressed on how they can take a beating, and keep on truckin.

Any advice you could give on a suspension set up, and any info on upgrades for the shocks, would be appreciated. Links to the products you recommend, would also be appreciated. Thank you.
Old 11-05-2006, 10:00 PM
Wizz Kid

Default RE: Savage suspension set up questions

no need for hopped up suspension, you just overfilled your shocks and it led to bent shafts. get some stock replacements. when you fill the shocks, fill them until there is about 1/2'' of room left, then put your shaft as far in as you can, then top off and put the cap on.

i have 8 shocks, 30wt, black springs, and full clips all around and it can put me 15-20ft in the air.
Old 11-05-2006, 10:40 PM
rubixcube

Thanks.

I will try to fill them up the next time that way.

The way I filled them up was to get the air out, and fill the shock with the shaft lowered all the way, then put the cap on loosly, then move the shaft up till about half way, then tighten it down.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:03 PM
Wizz Kid

nah you want the shock shaft as far in as possible, this way you know how much expansion room is needed. before you were not compensating for the whole shaft and the extra volume in the shock caused it to exert the pressure on the shaft. when the shaft has room, there isnt any pressure built up.
Old 11-06-2006, 02:23 AM
amwhite2005

I put the shock shaft to the bottom, fill it all the way up, then move the shock shaft up and down to remove air, and the excess oil flows over the top (out of the shock). I then push the shaft all the way up and screw the lid on, is this a good way, it seems to work?