Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > HPI Monster Truck Forum
Reload this Page >

Review in Progress: Hot Bodies Lightning GT10

Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Review in Progress: Hot Bodies Lightning GT10

Old 11-07-2006, 01:10 PM
Misbehavin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Review in Progress: Hot Bodies Lightning GT10

I'm currently working on an RC Universe review of the Hot Bodies Lightning GT10. Given the Hot Bodies/Hpi connection, I figured this would be the best place to place this thread.

I tore it down last week and went through it, and put it through it's paces just this past weekend. So far, this truck is turning out to be an extreme amount of fun. I'm talking right out of the box fun!

If anyone is interested in this truck, or would like to discuss what I've seen so far while the review is underway, feel free to do so in this thread. I'll try to answer any questions/concerns to the best of my ability.

Here's a few teaser shots.

Old 11-07-2006, 03:08 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Review in Progress: Hot Bodies Lightning GT10

I have the Lightning GT(and like it, though I think it lacks power..) What's the differnece - just scale?
Old 11-07-2006, 03:21 PM
SpikeX

So what do you think of it so far? My 10-year-old cousin is looking to buy one, so any information you have would be great. Hey, PatrickBW, anything to say about the Lightening GT?
Old 11-07-2006, 03:42 PM
HerrSavage

Yeah, I would say this first off: here in Germany the asking price is €599. That's just stupid. I got mine new on auction from a shop for €370. So before commenting on it, I should make clear that anything I say is based on having gotten it for a bargain. Had I spent more my expectations would have been higher.

So, basically, I like it. The stock engine is a bit weak, but when tuned right it goes pretty well. The stock suspension was stupid soft, but after getting the blue springs and putting in 60 wt oil, it's much better. The tires and wheels are HUGE. So far all that's broken have been one C-hub(I think that's what it's called), a bent dog-bone, and one of the two stock steering servos. I replaced it with a Blue Bird 620 MG, and now it's even better.

What this truck really needs is a 2-speed. The truck itself is HUGE, but actually quite light. A 2-speed would make it into an absolute rocket..

All in all though I would say this is a nice truck. Good size, good handling, reasonably tough so far, fast when the tune is right, and nice to jump. Don't forget though - my positive comments are based on a €400 price(well, now €450..) A €600 truck it is not - IMO(just got my LST2 for less than that...) I would say it deserves a spot among the comptetion with stock RTR Savages and MGT's - somewhere in there.. With a nicer engine I would imagine the fun-factor would go up considerably..

And oh yeah, yes it definitely needs a new body..

Here a vid of the LGT getting a work-out. Survived the day totally unscathed..

http://s76.photobucket.com/albums/j2...riftDayLGT.flv
Old 11-07-2006, 04:26 PM
Misbehavin

Yeah, I would say this first off: here in Germany the asking price is €599. That's just stupid. I got mine new on auction from a shop for €370. So before commenting on it, I should make clear that anything I say is based on having gotten it for a bargain. Had I spent more my expectations would have been higher.
Street price around here is just over $400. I think it fits that niche pretty well. Overseas pricing may vary though.

So, basically, I like it. The stock engine is a bit weak, but when tuned right it goes pretty well.
I'm curious about that comment. This truck flies. Coming down the straightaway made me think of a stock RTR 1/8 scale truggy! The tires are begged for mercy as I made my full speed runs. Is yours equipped with the .18? I know the stadium version of the truck had a .15, is it possible it arrive from your online site with a different motor in it? For the .18 to be a side exhaust stock motor, the power really surprised me. It takes to the air extremely well too, thanks to it's truggy-like stance.

The stock suspension was stupid soft, but after getting the blue springs and putting in 60 wt oil, it's much better. The tires and wheels are HUGE. So far all that's broken have been one C-hub(I think that's what it's called), a bent dog-bone, and one of the two stock steering servos. I replaced it with a Blue Bird 620 MG, and now it's even better.
I tend to like a softer suspension, but that's personal preference. Out of the box, I really liked the suspension at the track. Backyard bashing would find it a little on the soft side if you do a lot of high altitude jumping.

So what do you think of it so far? My 10-year-old cousin is looking to buy one, so any information you have would be great.
I really love the truck so far. It's simply been the most fun I've had with a review vehicle in several months. The tires aren't the best in the dirt, but on the other hand that had a hand in what made it so much fun! It was a handful, and fell just barely short of clearing the triple at the track on the stock rubber. Another set of tires would have made that possible.

I've had a few problems with screws backing out, and a mishap with the air filter element. I'll get into the specifics on those items in the review. Aside from that, it's been nothing but a blast so far!
Old 11-07-2006, 05:18 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Just fyi, the Lightning GT10 and Patrick's Lightning GT are two totally different trucks...entirely unrelated.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:31 PM
46u

For the price I would get the Savage X on Towers web site they are only about $10 difference. Yes I have heard the HB 18 are under powered all so why go 1/10 for about the same price of a 1/8.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:34 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Good call 46u! Hadn't even thought about that

course then again, I have about as much into my 1/10 scale 2wd truck as I do my Savage
Old 11-08-2006, 01:54 AM
HerrSavage

The HB Lightning GT comes with a Force .26. And I've seen pics of the GT10 on the HB website, and it looks - with the body on - like a smaller GT. Now, looking at the under-the-hood pic above, I see they're actually very different. First of all - this GT10 has 8 shocks!! That's cool.. Looks like a fun truck actually... Is this supposed to be comp for the MT2 and co?? I'd like to see one in person.. Your review so far sounds pretty encouraging...(but then so do all reviews.. - no offense..)

What do you reckon is the top speed? Would it beat an RTR Savage X for ex..?
Old 11-08-2006, 08:35 AM
Misbehavin

Just fyi, the Lightning GT10 and Patrick's Lightning GT are two totally different trucks...entirely unrelated.
That's what I was suspecting, just looking for more details from him on his truck! The video he had linked to wasn;t working when I tried to check it earlier.

Yes I have heard the HB 18 are under powered
You defintiely heard wrong on the GT10. It'll fly.

The HB Lightning GT comes with a Force .26.
If yours has that motor, I can see why you get the results you do. It's not very much of a high-end screamer.

I see they're actually very different. First of all - this GT10 has 8 shocks!! That's cool.. Looks like a fun truck actually... Is this supposed to be comp for the MT2 and co??
There really isn't much to compare it to. It's so similar to a 1/10 scale truggy that it's hard to comapre to anything. It's a lot more fun than the MT2 SS I reviewed a little over a year ago. There isn't a lot of adjustibility in regards to the shocks. However, it handles very well out of the box. A basher certainly wouldn't have a problem with it, nor would an occasional racer.

Your review so far sounds pretty encouraging...(but then so do all reviews.. - no offense..)
No offense taken. As far as reviews go, there's generally some good in most any vehicle. Someone writing must point out what they see that's good and bad. You really just don't go out and slam on one particular shortcoming over and over. For some people, what you see as needing improvement may not even be a concern or of interest to them. Report what you see, and let the reader form their opinion. So I generally point out any problems I had with a vehicle, and then areas I see that may be an issue. The rest is up to you.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:39 AM
HerrSavage

Post some more pics - if you can... This looks like a fun truck.. Looking forward to the video...
Old 11-09-2006, 01:54 PM
Misbehavin

ORIGINAL: PatrickBW

Post some more pics - if you can... This looks like a fun truck.. Looking forward to the video...
How about these!

Old 11-09-2006, 02:40 PM
SpikeX

Wow. Those are really nice. ThunderbirdJunkie, I know the GT10 and the GT are two different trucks.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:55 PM
R_man_5k
My Feedback: (14)

Misbehavin - I am looking forward to the full review... I have been intrested in this truck ever since the first time I saw it
Old 11-10-2006, 01:16 PM
HerrSavage

Any chance of posting a pic of it next to a Sav or other truck or something so we can get an idea of its size??...
Old 11-10-2006, 01:51 PM
R_man_5k

yeah... I was wondering how much bigger it is compared to the HPI MT2 SS... My next truck (well besides the Jammin CRT.5) will more than likely be MT2SS or this truck.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:15 PM
Misbehavin

I don't currently have an MT2 to compare it to, but I'll see what I can come up with later this weekend for a quick shot for the forum.
Old 11-11-2006, 08:02 AM
R_man_5k

Thanks! I am sure any ST or MT will give us a good idea on its size.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:33 PM
Misbehavin

I've been slammed with a few odd things lately, and I'm just now getting back to a size comparision on this. I had an 1/8 scale Turmoil buggy handy. Hope this helps.

Old 11-17-2006, 07:35 PM
R_man_5k

wow... it is a bit bigger than I expected. Pretty cool though. Thanks.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:27 PM
46u

Want to put this as delicate as I can but I am not good at that. I have yet seen a negative review from any origination that sells advertisement so let me ask you how honest will the review be? This is why I never buy a RC magazine!
Old 11-18-2006, 12:28 AM
HerrSavage

ORIGINAL: 46u

Want to put this as delicate as I can but I am not good at that. I have yet seen a negative review from any origination that sells advertisement so let me ask you how honest will the review be? This is why I never buy a RC magazine!
I agree.. Buuut..., I'm still keen to hear more about this truck. It's something different, and I like the look of it.. So keep things going - and more pics.. (next to a Savage would of course be ideal..) Video too..

What's the top-speed??

Old 11-18-2006, 02:19 AM
46u

Most Hot Bodies small block engines I have ever seen where not real powerful or fast. I only take to heart end user reviews from experienced RC people. For me to ever consider it they are going to have to come down on the price and make a kit. My MT 1 ¾ does me well and with the OS 18 TZ runs pretty good or should I say to good.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:46 AM
Misbehavin

I have yet seen a negative review from any origination that sells advertisement so let me ask you how honest will the review be?
I do my best to tell what I experience, and what I think. Does that mean I'll come out and call a vehicle "utter crap". Not likely, as most vehicles out there still have their merits too. What makes a vehicle "crap"? Durability? That would be a closed minded stance, as many of your competitive racing platforms aren't the toughest vehicle available, as they sacrifice some durability for all-out performance.

So you have to point everything out as well as possible. In the overall scheme of things most vehicles are put together for their intended purpose very well overall. Especially considering what we expect out of these vehicles. However, remember that nothing is indestructible. I have yet to test a vehicle that would be given an "all negative review", but I have tested some that do need some improvement in certain areas. When I see that, it's mentioned. What's "crap", and what works well, is often different from person to person.

A good example of this would be the XTM X-Factor 2 I reviewed. It's not the toughest, or best, truck for jumping that you can find. However if you like the solid axle approach, and the clearance it offers, that might outweigh and disadvantages the truck has in other areas.

I do point out issues that I encounter, or areas that I don't care for. Read through some of my reviews, as you'll note that I discuss what I break, and whether or not I consider it a freak accident or an area that needs some improvement. A good example is the 20mm hex adapter used on the LST 2. I mentioned that I didn't see the point, as it severly hampered the wheel selection that was available because of the proprietary size that was used. I was offered many explanations as to why Losi felt their 20mm adapters were "better". However, I held my ground and you'll see I mentioned that in the article for it. IMO, the limited wheel selection you have just wasn't worth the route Losi took. Especially, when early on, their wheels were very hard to obtain.

Video too..
The article will have video, without a doubt!

What's the top-speed??
While the actual speed will vary, depending upon weather and tune, the claims are verfied. 45MPH is obtained, and I even had it trip the radar gun with a reading of 47-48 a few times.

Most Hot Bodies small block engines I have ever seen where not real powerful or fast. I only take to heart end user reviews from experienced RC people. For me to ever consider it they are going to have to come down on the price and make a kit. My MT 1 ¾ does me well and with the OS 18 TZ runs pretty good or should I say to good.
This motor is specifically an HPI motor, as most of the new HB stuff is. The .18 used in the MT2SS I reviewed was decent, but seemed to lack some low-end power in that application. This motor is much different, and runs like an entirely different powerplant. I'm surprised at how powerful it is, given the fact it's a side exhaust motor. Most factory side exhaust motors simply aren't this powerful.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:24 PM
Misbehavin

The full review is now live, and can be found here.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.