Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Review in Progress: HPI E-Savage

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 06:43 PM
Lilredmachine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Review in Progress: HPI E-Savage

Nice review. The E-zilla also came with the 3300 mah packs eventually. All I would say is that with the e-maxx upgrades are a necessity, whereas the e-savage you can run bone stock (and bash hard) without any real issues. I'm going to get an E-maxx for christmas, purely because I want to mod it to the hilt!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75585.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	580917  
Old 12-21-2006, 12:00 PM
Vega71

Alas, mine also has the clicking sound at low speeds. *scratching head* If any of you figure out exactly what causes it please let me know. This is also my first Hobby RC car and don't want to screw it up the first few days.

But I do have to say this thing is TOUGH!! My cousin and I went out driving last night. He has a Traxxas Nitro Sport. And the E-Savage kept up with it. We were driving both our cars on the pavement and I ended up doing many barrel rolls. It would land on its wheels and keep going. Extemely tough. I can't wait to get it on dirt and try some jumps.

I think I am going to fabricate a wheelie bar for it though.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:31 PM
Ominous1

If it makes you feel any better........ Ive had mine for a week now (and practically taken the whole thing apart looking for that clicking sound) and flip it, cartwheeled it, ran into trees/rocks, down a set of stairs and a table, and it still runs beautifully, despite that annoying sound.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:50 PM
Vega71

I'm not really worried about it. I'm more worried about my driving skills.

But I think it might be the driveshaft and pin. It seems to have a little slack in there. Not sure though. I'm sure its not anything exteme though. But if it is, at least we will be able to tell each other how to fix it. Since it will probablly happen to everyone.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:00 PM
BitHed

...Vega no need to fabricate one...Just fit the HPI wheelie bar for the GP savage...fits perfect and works great

Old 12-22-2006, 08:08 AM
bluecutty

What is the difference between the Savage (GP?) wheelie bars? Will this one fit my E-Savage: [link=http://cgi.ebay.com/HPI-Savage-Wheelie-Bar-Set-HPI85245_W0QQitemZ260066160060QQihZ016QQcategoryZ4 4028QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem]EBay HPI Savage Wheelie Bar[/link]
Old 12-22-2006, 08:16 AM
madtr

what clicking sound,my ezilla doesnt have one.And since the ezilla is and eventually became the e savage ive had months of bashing it.
It keeps up with the nitro stuff pretty well,only thing id like to see is more after market parts for it.

Name:	Ec87621.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	581713   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89593.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	581714   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ag91300.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	581715  
Old 12-22-2006, 08:18 AM
madtr

Have two maxx and ezilla and stampede and waiting for lhs to get my e savage in

Name:	Nl30519.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	581716  
Old 12-26-2006, 09:04 PM
Vega71

Quick Question. I can't get my E-savage to wheelie for the life of me. I thought I saw somewhere that if you tighten up the Spur Gear it would wheelie easier.

Than my dad and I were talking tonight and he thinks I would have to loosen it to get it to wheelie.

Which is right? Thanks for your time.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:15 PM
bluecutty

You will have to tighten the slipper clutch (clockwise). You don't want to tighten it too much though. I'd say do 1/4 turns until you are able to wheelie. I also have an e-savage which I will be working on tonight (doing the same thing as you).
Old 12-26-2006, 09:35 PM
Vega71

Thanks for the reply. Will go and do that now.
Old 12-26-2006, 10:48 PM
bluecutty

Well here she is:

Here is a link to a slideshow of it (other vehicle is a Losi XXX-NT): [link=http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v709/MR2aboveall/E-Savage/?action=view&current=1167190089.pbw]E-Savage Slideshow[/link]

Name:	Wu59898.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	584162   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30021.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	584163  
Old 12-26-2006, 11:39 PM
Vega71

Since I'm being a noob. Another question.

I was tightening the slipper clutch and realized that 7 out of the 8 shocks had a little bit of oil on them.

Did I bust them allready? If so should I get new ones or should I rebuild? If rebuild where would I get the items.

Thanks!
Old 12-27-2006, 11:26 PM
youm0nt

im new but how does the DC charger work?obviously, its not a 2 prong plug and cant go into a wall socket.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:03 AM
bluecutty

DC Charger - You can either plug it into a cigerette lighter outlet in your car or plug it into an external power supply such as a computer power supply.

1st E-Savage Bashing - Well I took the E-Savage out for it's first bash last night and let me tell you... it was a blast. I took it under an interstate bridge which is lined with mounds of dirt & gravel. Some of the dirt is rough, some of it smooth as silk. The truck performed very well. I'd have to say it was more enjoyable than driving my XXX-NT. You hardly have to let up on the throttle because the truck takes bumps so well and even crawls over bolders nice. I got about 15 minutes of run time out of the batteries it came with. There were a few times where I flipped the truck pretty bad but nothing broke, it just kept on churning like a scolded dog. I still need to tighten the slipper cluch a little more so that I can pull wheelies. This truck handles very well for being a Monster truck. Can't wait to do some more bashing tonight and this weekend.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:25 PM
BitHed

...im glad it is going well

..take care not to tighten the slipper TOO much as over-tightening CAN cause driveshaft failures...basically the truck cant keep up with itself and the MALE side of the shaft will just sheer off...

...A little bit of shock oil is to be expected with stock shox...chamging the 0-rings to something softer and smearing them with Associated Green Slime before you put them is also good...FYI HPI 35 weight oil and 8 blue springs is a nice setup...Bad Horsie shock boots are also a good addition (shameless plug )
Old 01-17-2007, 11:33 PM
hyperasus

What is the Associated Green Slime and what does it do?
Old 01-18-2007, 12:20 AM
BitHed

...its a green silicone based lube...it comes in a small clear tube from an RC company called Associated...Its good to smear your o-rings with it when you replace them...cuts down on leaks and keeps your shafts slippery slidey Cheap mod with a noticeable improvement...
Old 01-24-2007, 12:30 AM
carldav

Good Day Misbehavin

Excellent review on E-savage! Id like to ask though if E-savage can upgrade it center drive shaft using MIP CVD's used by E-maxx. Is this possible? Also does E-savage have as much aftermarket support like E-maxx? Last, can we interchange some parts used from the Nitro Savage to E-savage vice-versa?

Thanks!

Name:	Hf99438.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	605464   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33950.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	605465  
Old 01-24-2007, 12:48 AM
carldav

Also, is the stock dampers of the E-savage oil-filled?

Name:	Yw68718.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	605468  
Old 01-24-2007, 02:05 AM
BitHed

...Stock dampers ARE oil-filled but go better with HPI 35 weight in them...

...The center to rear and center to front shafts MAY be able to be swapped but there is no need...To my knowledge there has NEVER been a breakage to need to be fixed or modded...

...GP to EP Savage parts...Springs, rims and tires basically...Other than that we HAVE modded X-Sav uprights and c-hubs to fit...Other than that nothing fits at this stage...

...Many GP sav and GP MT2 bodies will fit...choose what you like and fit it...

...Does the E-sav have as much after-market support as the E-Maxx? NO...

...Does it NEED after-market support in the form of stronger, better parts? NO...

...Does the after-market feel that sales of after-market parts / hop-ups / add-ons would be bad because the E-Sav goes SO damn well stock? YES...
Old 01-24-2007, 02:40 AM
carldav

Thanks for your response BitHed, will take note of that.

By the way, you think E-Savage can handle HV-Maxx Maxx 6.5 at stockform?. Do you think this is where I need to upgrade my drivetrain? Thanks!
Old 01-24-2007, 03:48 AM
BitHed

...IMO a Mamba Max ESC with a Feigao 9L, available from Starluck RC, is a MUCH better option...But if you have the HV then go with that...
Old 01-24-2007, 07:39 AM
carldav

Thanks! If I go for HV-Maxx is it a mandatory to upgrade my drivetrain? I got a warning from Novak if I am to use this with E-maxx...I need to upgrade my CVDs and other stuff. Does this also applies for E-Savage's drivetrain?

Can the E-savage handle the HV-maxx's powerband in stock form?

PS: I also saw a similar BitHed username in www.e-savage.com. Is that your account?
Old 01-24-2007, 12:38 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Guys, I'm engaged in a little spat on a German forum. Basically, the old "E-MAXX vs. E-zilla/E-Savage" thing.. I went through this like a year and a half ago, and based on everything I read bougth the E-zilla(and would NEVER buy an E-MAXX...) Anyway, there is in Germany an irrational and fairly prevalent anti-HPI bias. So these guys are trying to say that OUT OF THE BOX an E-MAXX is better(faster, tougher, better handling..) than the E-zilla. I've only ever heard the opposite(though I am only ever in Savage forums..) So, despite the fact that this IS an HPI forum, is it really as unequivocal as I believe it to be - that the E-zilla/Savage is easily better out of the box than the E-MAXX??

Is anybody here capable of being objective and saying succinctly how the two match up??

Thanks..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.