Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

S-25 rebuild

Old 11-09-2006, 04:54 AM
EXA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S-25 rebuild

hey guys i got compression lock in my new s-25 and ruined my crank, conrod, piston and sleeve. anyway i purchased all the replacement parts but i cannot seem to get the big end bearing to go in. I'm a noob so i'm not really sure how to do it.

also my sleeve wont go into the top of the block. do i have to head the block up? if so to what temperature and any tips to get the bearing in without damaging it and also the sleeve

Jacob
Old 11-09-2006, 12:05 PM
fxrs

Default RE: S-25 rebuild

If your engine was new, why not call HPI and have them replace it
under warranty.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:27 PM
DaveG55

Yeah, why not check with your lhs or HPI? What's the worse they're going to tell you...no??
Second, you'ld probably have been better off to have just replaced the engine as to buy the parts. The cost for a new engine is not that much more than all the parts and you'ld have a more powerful engine and a warranty.

Now, to your questions.

To get the old bearings out, heat the block to about 425 degrees f. The bearings should come out fairly easily. Just be careful, it's hot. To put the new ones in, freeze them for 30 min or so. If you need to tap them in to seat them use a socket with the same diameter as the outer race but smaller than the seat it's going into.
If the sleeve is a tight fit you need to verify that the block is not out of shape. They can be tight but usually not so thight that the sleeve won't go in. You can also freeze the sleeve to get it to shrink a bit. When you freeze parts to get them to go in you need to be sure to oil them once they're installed to prevent any condensaton from forming rust.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:25 AM
EXA

i got the truck of ebay. It hadn't been use and was still in it's sealed box. Trouble was i never got a reciept from the shop i purchased it off. I ask them for one so i could claim it under warranty but "my computer crashed so i lost all my reciepts". This person was such a dunce, no one gets receipts via email. I rang the online hobby shop that she apparently bought them from and they said they dont give out reciepts that way. All i can think of is that shes dodgy and the good were "hot"!

anyway i got all my parts for under 100 dollars US hence why i didn't get a new engine. I'm a bit worried about this sleeve. Can i freeze the sleeve/piston and heat the block to get them in? also the piston won't go all the way upto the top of the sleeve, is this normal?

Jacob
Old 11-10-2006, 12:49 AM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

I have not had a sleeve yet I had a problem getting in. Yes the piston should not be able to go through the sleeve unless it is worn out. Since these engines do not have rings you have to have a tapered bore or what is called a pinch. This is why you cannot get the piston all the way through.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:53 PM
EXA

ahhh good times.

i'll try heating the block up and putting it all together end of this week. I'll give you guys a hoy if i get stuck

JT