Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

My 21BB - is it in its final days?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 03:43 AM
Wild Foamy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My 21BB - is it in its final days?

hi guys

my 21BB has suffered damage to the piston and liner, theres a big V-shaped Gouge in the piston a the liner may have been effected...

but anyway.

A: when i try and start it with the ignitor, instead of that "put, put, put..." noise from a normal engine it will often skip and just miss a few revolutions when i pull the starter
B: when i have it started, it will idle (when warmed up) for 2-3 seconds and then bog down and die, if i let it idle for about a second and take off it will bog down major! it will bog down for about 2-3 Seconds when i accelerate from standing to full throttle
C: theres oil getting into my pullstart OWB, where is it coming from?
Old 11-11-2006, 06:36 AM
amwhite2005

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My 21BB - is it in its final days?

A: Sometimes that could be because there is oil in the OWB, and it slips a little. This is normal, dont worry, unless it gets worse.
B: Try retuneing it, since the engine is probably ruined anyway, you may as well try and make it leaner to try and get it running.
C: Try putting a O-Ring around the shaft that leads to the OWB, that may help.

If all this fails, then you may need a new engine, or at least a new piston and liner.
Old 11-11-2006, 09:45 AM
Wild Foamy

A: if i run it without the ignitor it will sound normal.

B: will do, what should i tune and how much?

C: will a regular oring do or will it melt?
Old 11-12-2006, 11:58 AM
amwhite2005

A: It may not sound normal, but you might as well run it till it total breaks, you have nothing to lose.
B: Reset it to factory settings, and tune it, just like you did when you bought it. The factory settings should be in the instruction book.
C: The regular O-Ring will work, I think it is 61xxx I think. The one that goes in the diff.
Old 11-12-2006, 01:32 PM
MarkJeepn

try and keep if it running until you can afford a new motor i had the same thing happen to my 21 and it crapped out not to long after that. The OWB problem is a common thing just pull it out clean off the back plate clean out the rotostart plate and spray your OWB with WD40. that will keep it from slipping. Also when you have it out inspect it for cracks they tend to crack after a while. In the mean time start looking for a motor and i would recommend finding one that parts are easy to find. if you want a motor that will give you a stupid amount of power look at the OS30VG it is made for the savage and parts are easy to find. I think the OWB is the same as the SS4.6 OWB if im not mistaken.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:21 PM
Wild Foamy

WD40 is a oil isnt it?

anyway, i fired it up outside and its got an air leak so im not going to bother with it

ive got a new Tmaxx so the sav can rott away in my cupboard
Old 11-15-2006, 12:42 PM
MarkJeepn

I think wd40 is an oil but i may be wrong. Anyways I use WD40 on my one way bearing everytime I pull it out just to clean it up and also when it slips and it always works, never had a problem with it. I used it in my HPI .25 engine and i also use it in my Collaandri .30. To fix the air leak you have to locate it first. Pull the engine out and put about a 10 inch piece of fuel line on the carb input, plug the carb intake and the exhuast port and blow into the fuel line while brushing soapy water all over the engine. If it has a airleak you will find it. When you find it pull that part off and put silicone on it and put it back together. Remember if the screw goes into metal toctite it with blue loctite. vowalla!! Air leak fixed.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:45 PM
amwhite2005

Any particuar silicone to use? Why not just seal the whole engine while you have it out.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:03 AM
Wild Foamy

the air is leaking from the back of the carb pinch bolt