Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Stripped Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 01:24 PM
SpikeX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stripped Wheels

I was disassembling my Savage X today, and I found out the two of my wheels are slightly stripped. They have engraved a new groove into the wheel, which is at a different angle to the original groove. I do not know what may have caused this, as my wheels were very tight, and I am using 17mm hubs.

Will these two wheels cause a problem?
Old 11-12-2006, 01:59 PM
JayC1968
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Stripped Wheels

They usually do that when you simply do not make sure they are lined up right. Also if they are just a little loose they will spread the hexes enough for them to slip into a new location. When you put your tires on turn the truck on it's side and spin the tire to be sure it's locked into the wheel hex before tightening it down..

As for you hexes now.. you can always epoxy the metal hex in the wheel and that will hold tight for some time to come. It's just a pain to line up with the pin sometimes.
Old 11-12-2006, 04:54 PM
46u

I am still running the 14mm on my 4.6SS and after over 7 gallons I have not stripped one yet. I make sure my wheel nuts are tight after ever couple of tanks of fuel. I do plain on one day up grading to the 17mm when I finish wearing out the tires on my 14mm wheels.
Old 11-12-2006, 05:48 PM
benzzyo5

mine r going to be garbage soon. i have 10 1/2 gallons on them. jays idea sounds good. also 46u is right check the nuts after a couple of runs
Old 11-12-2006, 07:08 PM
JayC1968

One thing I will add... I always use loc-tite on the wheel nuts, and try to not take them off unless it's last resort. I also whenever possible double up on the wheel nuts as an added precaution. tighten one up good and tight, then tighten another one to clamp the first one down against the wheel.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:33 PM
46u

One thing about the older style 14mm hex drive is one side is left hand threads and one right so when you are moving they are trying to tighten instead if one side trying to loosen up.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:02 PM
SAVAGEJIM

JayC1968 has a good solution for your rim hez problem. It is by far ths most simple of fizes and will be very effective such that you will probably wear your tires down bald or break your rims from bashing before they strip.
I've ruined at least two sets of 14mm hez rims (maybe a 3rd set too, I cannot remember) well before the times of my tires. I therefore have gone to Pro-Line 23mm beadlock rims for my second basher Savage. The drawback is the cost of those adaptors, rims, and tires.
Now, for my daily basher I have done the following mod and still have those 14mm rims to this day. Check out this link in which I posted the procedure:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_47...tm.htm#4735086

A word of warning: I did spend the better half of an afternoon doing this mod. It took a steady havd as well as precise measuring before cutting and drilling. But once this mod was put in, I have literally abused those tires and the rims are still holding up. I'm sure the rims will break from bashing before they ever stripp out.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:34 AM
SpikeX

OK. Thanks guys.