Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

disappearing dogbones

Old 12-14-2006, 07:09 PM
joeseif

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: disappearing dogbones

Well the place across the street from me is a home heating oil place and it seems everyone time I ride in his lot he comes out and reminds me that it's private property. last time i asked "does it really matter if i ride my rc cars here?" he said yes, to which i replyed "say hello to the EPA when they stop by for me" He said nothing futher and I promply left. I did not call the EPA but by the looks of his place that would pretty much be the end of things for Mr. Drippy.
As for your dog bones, how much frame flex do you have?
Old 12-14-2006, 07:32 PM
snowbl!nd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well i'm going to suggest suspension travel. Im guessing the sand is fairly bumpy and gives your suspension a decent workout throught its entire travel.

The space that the dogbone sits in likely changes slightly throughout the travel, so theoretically it could be secure at DBL (dog bones level) but pop out when the suspension is fully compressed or extended.

I'd start checking that before hunting gnomes, pixies or any other mystical creatures.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:32 PM
spiftacu1ar

Do you have adjustable upper arms? If you do make sure they are not to long (toe out). This will force the db to span a slightly longer length, so when suspension moves too much it will be easier to fall out.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:09 PM
-SomeGuy-

Yes i do but they are set to minimum length, remember that this is happening on 2 completely different trucks, both savages but very different parts and upgrades.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:31 PM
dracy69
My Feedback: (1)

my only conclusion

god hates you, and loves volleyball chicks
Old 12-14-2006, 09:40 PM
-SomeGuy-

ORIGINAL: dracy69

my only conclusion

god hates you, and loves volleyball chicks
Well i cant blame god on that one, those vb chicks are hot hot hot, and my savage pollutes the air. Either that or maybe god is a traxxas guy.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:26 PM
CWC

Man this whole disappearing dog bones thing really has me scratching my but[X(] I-I-I mean my head!!! But I think you should try some other sand and see if the dogbone gnomes still gets them, I think it's just the sand. I think you should tell the sand to leave your truck alone some thing like ''Bad sand BAD SAND leave my truck alone!!!'' Man this is X-files stuff oohhh I just got it!!! {scroll down}

it's it's ALIENS aahhh!!! run hide your dogbones!!! save your self no save your dogbones!!!
Old 12-14-2006, 11:58 PM
SpeedAddict

The only time I've ever lost a dogbone was on my Winner 3. I hadn't threadlocked the screws on the drive cups. I would have a dogbone go flying 4 feet in the air at 35 m.p.h.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:51 AM
-SomeGuy-

ORIGINAL: CWC

Man this whole disappearing dog bones thing really has me scratching my but[X(] I-I-I mean my head!!! But I think you should try some other sand and see if the dogbone gnomes still gets them, I think it's just the sand. I think you should tell the sand to leave your truck alone some thing like ''Bad sand BAD SAND leave my truck alone!!!'' Man this is X-files stuff oohhh I just got it!!! {scroll down}

it's it's ALIENS aahhh!!! run hide your dogbones!!! save your self no save your dogbones!!!
The truth is out there.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:29 AM
amwhite2005

I think a little experiment would be to try putting a lot of )-Rings in the cups, so there is no play in the DB at all, then drive. Theres no way it could come out mechanically if there is absolutely NO play at all. Then I think we would all agree that everyone here should believe in mystical creatures!
Old 12-15-2006, 01:43 PM
CWC

Hay, paint all your dog bones bright orange so you can find them when thay come out then take a rake and comb the sand for them, it may take a while .
Old 12-15-2006, 02:12 PM
dracy69

actually, i think i know

do your drive cups have grooves in them? from the dogbones? my X had this and it snapped 2 dogbones. i found both (all four peices). the grooves carved by the dogbones snapped them when they got in the right position. take one of the drivecups out and take a picture of it.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:17 PM
-SomeGuy-

ORIGINAL: dracy69

actually, i think i know

do your drive cups have grooves in them? from the dogbones? my X had this and it snapped 2 dogbones. i found both (all four peices). the grooves carved by the dogbones snapped them when they got in the right position. take one of the drivecups out and take a picture of it.
I had mentionned this at the end of my firts post but nobody else said anything about it so i figured it wasnt the problem. Ill get some pics asap.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:23 PM
dracy69

oh, i missed it. then yea thats it.

those grooves lock your dogbones in a certain position then they snap like twigs. roll your truck slowely backwards (with a dogbone in) it might actually has resistence every turn of the shaft.

get HPI's HD cups. you can keep the stock bones though.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:33 PM
-SomeGuy-

pics. Its an hd cup as you can see, i guess the picco 27 eats them up.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14839.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	577787   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74600.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	577788  
Old 12-15-2006, 03:15 PM
dracy69

YEA

thats your problem.

thats bad. get some CVD/Universals. damn.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:29 PM
-SomeGuy-

I thought that was the problem but no one picked up on it. What brand would you suggest? I have the MIP on my other truck but those damn pins kept falling out. I made some new pins out of nails that i cut to length and made a flat spot for the set screw to hold on to, been holding up fine but i would like to know what are the best to get. Thanks for confirming my only suspicion, makes more sense than voodoo priests or bermuda triangle lol.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:31 PM
dracy69

i have had alot of luck with the MIP's. I actually ran XTM universals for a while on my Picco 26. ill try and find them for you when i get home later. other then that i have no experience with other brands.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:54 PM
Nathan9492

i think its time to call the X-files
Old 12-15-2006, 08:34 PM
CWC

[X(][X(][:@] I can't believe I missed that in your first post about your drive cups! I'll second that it is your drive cups binding, because this also happend to me but I cought it before it got really really bad ''also I forgot about it'' when I replaced my cups and dogbones to HD ones, my truck is fine now. Oohhh man I can't believe I forgot about cups being able to bind but I already called the x-files I better call them back and tell them never mind Oh hay good call Dracy69 we shall call you Sherlock Holmes solver of the dogbone mistery
Old 12-15-2006, 09:04 PM
carmatic1

yeah, humans just arent adapted to work with the geometry that dogbones and drivecups are based on...

http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/1368/sdscs90015na1.jpg

that is all that was left of a drivecup that i used one day! it happened after a cartwheel down a slope...ive bent tons and tons of dogbones so i thought that they would always be the ones to give, maybe if we model the truck in a computer or something we can run simulations to find out what caused it to snap like that
Old 12-15-2006, 09:07 PM
rushrtr3

ORIGINAL: someguywitasavage

So i told them to go ahead and call the cops which they did after about ten minutes of arguing about it.
I can't even count the amount of time my neighbors have called the cops on me for using my savage in the street. I have a list of people that are ready and waiting for my signal to egg his house.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:45 PM
dracy69

ORIGINAL: CWC

[X(][X(][:@] I can't believe I missed that in your first post about your drive cups! I'll second that it is your drive cups binding, because this also happend to me but I cought it before it got really really bad ''also I forgot about it'' when I replaced my cups and dogbones to HD ones, my truck is fine now. Oohhh man I can't believe I forgot about cups being able to bind but I already called the x-files I better call them back and tell them never mind Oh hay good call Dracy69 we shall call you Sherlock Holmes solver of the dogbone mistery
ill take that name[8D]
Old 12-15-2006, 09:52 PM
-SomeGuy-

Wouldnt you prefer Fox Mulder? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_Mulder
Old 12-15-2006, 09:55 PM
dracy69

nah

Sherlock Holmes would whoop his @$$

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.