Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

best hop-ups?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 03:43 PM
THE BASHER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best hop-ups?

what does every body think the best hop[ups for the savage x are i have got some to start it but just wondering because buget is not to geat and i wanht to give my new car the max looks and proformance
*3 speed gear box
*twin disk brakes
Old 12-11-2006, 03:56 PM
-SomeGuy-

Default RE: best hop-ups?

Hump pack
Stronger steering servo
Alloy clutch shoes
HPI polished pipe

About 100$ if you shop around and will make your truck allot more fun and reliable. If your on a budget or cant get them all at once then i would get them in this order: hump pack - shoes - servo - pipe. Just my 2 cents worth.

Whatever you do dont fall into the alloy trap as its a waste of money, come ask us first and we will tell you if its worth it or suggest something better. [sm=wink_smile.gif].
Old 12-11-2006, 04:33 PM
THE BASHER

thanks i will get those knowdought i will need more advise in the future thanks guys
Old 12-11-2006, 07:03 PM
savycharlie

get a 3 speed transmission and get the sts .30 engine they are very good and they are not very much they are like $120.00.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:49 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: someguywitasavage

Hump pack
Stronger steering servo
Alloy clutch shoes
HPI polished pipe

About 100$ if you shop around and will make your truck allot more fun and reliable. If your on a budget or cant get them all at once then i would get them in this order: hump pack - shoes - servo - pipe. Just my 2 cents worth.

Whatever you do dont fall into the alloy trap as its a waste of money, come ask us first and we will tell you if its worth it or suggest something better. [sm=wink_smile.gif].
Yes I agree but you better figuer more like $150 to $200.
Hump back with charger $30
very good servo $80 to $115
Pipe $30
Good alloy shoes $26

All so if you do not have one get a good failsafe
Old 12-11-2006, 11:22 PM
dracy69
My Feedback: (1)

3-speed is a good buy. dont bother with the twin disc brakes. get a carbon disc. they work very well. mine has lasted about 2 years so far and it still works great.

aluminum shoes will make spur gear strips much less likely in high stresst situations. i got some of HPI's big tires and it was starting to overheat the clutch. the aluminum shoes were a good remedy. the tires were actually cool also. pre mounted, about 7 inches tall, etc. a tuned pipe is like a basic hop-up, so id recommend that. you can spend 60 bucks on a good 150 oz airtronics servo. ummmmmmm, the ofna throttle mod if you have spare time, more responsive and more reliable. and cheap.

Ofna aluminum clutch shoes work well, so do the HPI ones. ask your LHS

[link]http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJYT8&P=7[/link]

Ofna throttle mod
Ofna #10704
Dubro #856
Mugen #C0855

you could also get the MP (Monster Pirate) Steering rack, take the spring and bearing and put them on the Cam set-up. the spring is stiffer for that more powerful servo, and the bearings make the movement more precise. the plastic bushings wear down and create alot of play.

receiver battery is a good buy and so is a failsafe. all of my receiver batts pretty much died on me, i need to buy a better charger.

HPI's 17mm hex, 7" tall tires will cost you like 70 bucks, but with aluminum clutch shoes, youll actually see a better top-end and still retain the grunt you had,

for a tuned pipe, i prefer RD Logics (rdlogics.com). get the two-peice, the springs on a one-peice are kind of a pain and mine got stretched out. if i could, id go straight back to the silicon coupler. just my opinion though.

thats all i can think of at the moment........
Old 12-12-2006, 12:48 AM
46u

My dual disc have been working great for well over 7 gallons. I know many people do not like them but I like mine. Still running the same pads that came with my 4.6SS kit.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:41 AM
Gravrober

ORIGINAL: 46u

My dual disc have been working great for well over 7 gallons. I know many people do not like them but I like mine. Still running the same pads that came with my 4.6SS kit.
Me too. over ten gallons though. same pads and disks.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:35 AM
mordraid

-powerful steering servo
-receiver hump pack (at least 1400mah)
- aluminium clutch shoes
- tuned pipe

Well, the easiest way is maybe to sell your truck and buy a X SS
Old 12-12-2006, 10:25 AM
SpikeX

Yes, the HPI Dual Disc Brake Set is very good IMO, and you will notice a huge increase in stopping power. Plus, they look cool!
Old 12-12-2006, 02:00 PM
dracy69

I heard they were way too grabby. do you guys run springs or fuel tubing on the brake set-up?
Old 12-12-2006, 02:17 PM
SpikeX

I run the spring that came stock with my truck. What is the difference with fuel tubing?
Old 12-12-2006, 03:04 PM
dracy69

the fuel tubing is stronger. i guess it works better with the spring.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:22 PM
amwhite2005

Carbon Disk? Where do you get those from? I dont mind paying if it will last 2 years, but I really dont like my DD brakes. They are good, but after a few weeks racing they need a pad change, it gets kinda anoying after a while.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:58 PM
Gravrober

ORIGINAL: dracy69

I heard they were way too grabby. do you guys run springs or fuel tubing on the brake set-up?
I use an Ofna slider with aluminum grub screwed linkage collar, no spring or fuel tubing. with my set up I can have light brakes or so hard that will flip the truck. fully adjustable.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60624.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	366.6 KB
ID:	575950  
Old 12-12-2006, 05:25 PM
46u

ORIGINAL: Gravrober

ORIGINAL: 46u

Me too. over ten gallons though. same pads and disks.

Those having problems with them have to wonder if they have the brakes set where they are dragging all the time to wear out so fast.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:33 PM
dracy69

ORIGINAL: amwhite2005

Carbon Disk? Where do you get those from? I dont mind paying if it will last 2 years, but I really dont like my DD brakes. They are good, but after a few weeks racing they need a pad change, it gets kinda anoying after a while.
[link]http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXNDH3&P=7[/link] Im running an HPI disc, but I dont think they still make it. appears to be made of the same material. for 15 bucks i dont know if you wanna risk it unless you hate your DD set-up that much. im using the stock pads.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:23 PM
spiftacu1ar

somebody needs to invent hydro calipers for rc cars. Hydro tend to give more control AND power. That way you can stop really slowly or quickly. Not to mention, they can be designed to constantly auto adjust so that they never drag, but keep clamping in as the pads wear out. Just an ideo though. I do not no much about discs in rc, but i do alot of biking, and the hydro's are definately wayyyyyy better b/c its easier to control brakes and there is no maintainance after initial setup (and pad replacement).

forget this post, i opened a new thread for it.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:06 AM
amwhite2005

[link]http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXNDH3&P=7[/link] Im running an HPI disc, but I dont think they still make it. appears to be made of the same material. for 15 bucks i dont know if you wanna risk it unless you hate your DD set-up that much. im using the stock pads.
Thats a graphite disk. I can get those for about £4. ($8 I think). I never did because I thought they wouldn't be that good, and they wont last long, but perhaps I will give it a try.

http://www.rc-direct.co.uk/3racing-b...e-x-p-112.html

Look good? They also do an SSG Graphite one, but I dont know what difference it makes, nor do the people who run the store.

http://www.rc-direct.co.uk/3racing-b...e-x-p-113.html
Old 12-13-2006, 10:57 AM
SpikeX

Spiftacu1ar, hydraulic braking systems already exist for the larger scale cars. I am pretty sure I saw a thread with links an the subject in the Large Scale Cars forum...
Old 12-13-2006, 11:17 AM
kurtf5

Havnt read the posts but a centre skid plate is a must if you intend to do serious bashing. Protects the brakes and anything else which sits in the middle of the car, must have in my opinion.

http://www.jespares.com/catalog/prod...oducts_id=1098
Old 12-13-2006, 11:50 AM
amwhite2005

Yes, it is very useful, expecially if you run on rocks/small stones. Even on a stoney road. It is included with in IRC TVPs if you get theirs
Old 12-13-2006, 06:58 PM
spiftacu1ar

spike x, i meant hydro's for smaller rc's. Maybe for the savage...
Old 12-13-2006, 07:21 PM
dracy69

Thats a graphite disk. I can get those for about £4. ($8 I think). I never did because I thought they wouldn't be that good, and they wont last long, but perhaps I will give it a try.

http://www.rc-direct.co.uk/3racing-b...e-x-p-112.html

Look good? They also do an SSG Graphite one, but I dont know what difference it makes, nor do the people who run the store.

http://www.rc-direct.co.uk/3racing-b...e-x-p-113.html
thats what i meant. it has the appearence of woven carbon fiber. i bough the disc 2 years ago so i dont remember exactly .
Old 12-14-2006, 02:22 AM
amwhite2005

I'll give them a try. Is it worth getting the SSG Graphite, does anybody know?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.