Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Savage X SS questions......

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 06:33 PM
supermotoxaustin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage X SS questions......

As most of you know from my other posts I have been looking at this truck. I was wondering what recomendations for radios you guys have for this. I prefer high torque servos and hopefully to keep it around 100$ also what technically is high torque for the steering because at towerhobbies it says the torque power. Also I was wondering if these could be ran safely in snow because it says not to run them in water and it seems that snow would get in it and melt, but if it is ok to what should you set the engine to for cold weather?
,thank you
Old 12-11-2006, 06:43 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Savage X SS questions......

Regarding cold weather running there is nothing wrong with that at all. You just have to take the proper precautions such as:

1. Wrap something around your cooling head to raise temps (Sock/ Tin foil/ towel)
2. Insulate the electronics. (Some eletronics can stop functioning properly under 30 degree weather.
3. Either plasti-dip your servos and reciever box or do what I do, take a nice long sheet of saran wrap and wrap to the bottom of the chassis and duct tape it at the top
4. Do not lean out to raise temps, air is denser so you need richer fuel.
5. Just a fact, plastic may become more brittle at low temps and can be prone to breaking.

I hope this helped you, Tom[8D]

P.S. Savage X SS is the best thing to hit the market!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![>:]
Old 12-11-2006, 09:07 PM
jamesdickinson

HPI reccomend around 10 pounds of torque for the steering servo on the savage Xss

My fried recently baught one of these, and the servo's he is using have 9 pounds of torque and certainly have no problems turning the wheels!
Old 12-11-2006, 10:13 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: jamesdickinson

HPI reccomend around 10 pounds of torque for the steering servo on the savage Xss

My fried recently baught one of these, and the servo's he is using have 9 pounds of torque and certainly have no problems turning the wheels!
You mean 100oz-in and 90oz-in, right? A pound-ft (lbf-ft) is 192oz-in. 10 lbf-ft (I think you mean pound-foot, not simply pound) will therefore be 1,920oz-in! Current servoes for 10th and 8th scale RC use do not make more than maybe 500oz-in for a very expensive servo.

Not trying to attack you, just want to clarify what you were saying.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:03 PM
dracy69
My Feedback: (1)

well, get atleast 125 oz. you can get those for like 50, [link]http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJYT8&P=7[/link] and just a standard 50 oz servo for throttle. and for a radio, you could get an MX-3 [link]http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCHA8**&P=7[/link] or if you really want to keep the whole set-up at about 100, an MX-A. [link]http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJUZ5**&P=ML[/link]

that would cover it for the radio. the systems will come with the switch and 4 AA pack. and 1 standard servo for throttle. im personally an Airtronics guy, and its better to pair up brands in electronics because airtronics plugs fit best in airtronics receivers. futaba plugs dont fit into airtronics receivers, you need to sand them down. so take note of that. plus are sometimes propriatary to their own brand.

dont forget the usual kit essentials. 1.00mm-2.5mm hex tools, #1 and #2 phillips head screw drivers. an 8mm wrench for the tires and glow plug, a small flat head for adjusting the carb, CA glue for the tires, after-run oil, WD-40, nitro clean, air filter oil, AA batteries. and if anyone has anything else to add.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:34 PM
supermotoxaustin

That 3-channel radio, and the high torque servo, will those fit? I have been reading the dimensions that the manual says to be within, but its not just length width and height, but thats all I can find on those. Isnt there just a standard size for those servos... I guess im just making sure, do they fit?
,thank you
Old 12-12-2006, 11:30 PM
dracy69
My Feedback: (1)

yes, everything will fit