Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Savage tyres turning when car not moving?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 11:11 AM
kurtf5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage tyres turning when car not moving?

Do your Savage's front tyres move fully left/right using your TX when your car is standing still on carpet or road?
If they do, how tight is your servo saver? Also, what tyres are you using?

Please reply
Old 12-12-2006, 01:46 PM
kurtf5

Default RE: Savage tyres turning when car not moving?

BUMP........
Old 12-12-2006, 02:03 PM
dracy69
My Feedback: (1)

my race truck does. it has Nubz with a 200 oz airtronics servo and i think the cam set-up is at the recommended tightness. i need to tighten it though and put some bearings in there.....

my Savage X has the stock servo with AA's and the HPI Goliath tires on Tremor wheels (the big 17mmm, 7 inch tall ones) and it can turn them on pavment with good batteries. not a chance in grass, dont know about carpet...

if its the stock servo, then dont sweat it, its normal. use good batteries (run the E2 Lithiums for the most possible power) and it will do fine/good for bashing.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:07 PM
kurtf5

ORIGINAL: dracy69

my race truck does. it has Nubz with a 200 oz airtronics servo and i think the cam set-up is at the recommended tightness. i need to tighten it though and put some bearings in there.....

my Savage X has the stock servo with AA's and the HPI Goliath tires on Tremor wheels (the big 17mmm, 7 inch tall ones) and it can turn them on pavment with good batteries. not a chance in grass, dont know about carpet...

if its the stock servo, then dont sweat it, its normal. use good batteries (run the E2 Lithiums for the most possible power) and it will do fine/good for bashing.
No its the HS 645MG, is that capable? I have Dirt Bonz tyres.
I'm going to buy an aluminium servo horn and maybe those bearings to loosen the stress on the servo and make it more durable.
Its quite a difficult question but on your cars, how many MM is the servo saver screwed down? Recommended is 4mm, but on my old servo it just kept pulling the saver when the car was on the ground, so it wasnt a torque issue, i just dont know how tight i should have it for a combination of good sharp steering and a long lasting servo. Hitec say their metal gear servos are extremely hard to break apparently.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:14 PM
SpikeX

With the Hitec HS-645MG, I think you should be able to turn the wheels at a stop.

BTW, will it do any harm if I tighten the servo saver on my X RTR just a tad for better steering? I am running the stock SF-2 servo.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:09 PM
dracy69
My Feedback: (1)

with the stock servo, then id say leave it alone actually. the problem there is the servo if you want better steering.

Kurt, buy this [link]http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXABH5&P=7[/link] it has the bearings you need and take that spring off and put it on the Cam. youll pretty much have to lock down the Cam to get it to do what you want. but that will eliminate any servo saver action. this will leave the room for the servo saving and still be stiff enough for your needs. and as a bonus it includes the 12 dollar bearings.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:26 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

I am not trying to tell people what to run just telling my experience. I ran the HS 645 for steering until I started to race and it just did not do the job! I up graded to a servo that has 208oz of torque and even if I only bash will never go back to a slow, low torque servo as it just makes that much difference.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:37 PM
kurtf5

Well is the Savage SUPPOSED to have wheels that move when the car is standing still?
Its not got anything to do with the torque of the HS 645 MG. I had this Blue Bird servo which was a bit more powerful than my new one, and that managed to pull the servo arm and servo saver, but that was because i had never adjusted the servo saver.
So how many mm do you think it should be for protection and at least some wheel movement when the car is standing still? The manual says 4mm, but that was way too loose for my old high torque servo, so how far should i tighten it?
Has anyone else tightened their servo saver?
Old 12-12-2006, 03:44 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

I just run mine where it feels proper and is tighter then what the manual says. I do make sure the servo saver does it job. Being when the truck is all together is hard to say what the exact adjustment I have is and can very between trucks.